Should I buy them tomorrow

Help Support CattleToday:

That one with it's tail curled up more than the others in the third pic looked a little fine boned and narrow in the back end to me.

I don't claim to be an expert at judging cattle from pictures, but I'd say that three of the four are probably worth the money. The second from the left in the third picture, maybe not.

Andyva":3nst3yqv said:
That one with it's tail curled up more than the others in the third pic looked a little fine boned and narrow in the back end to me.

+1

Rafter S":cijqk5c7 said:
I don't claim to be an expert at judging cattle from pictures, but I'd say that three of the four are probably worth the money. The second from the left in the third picture, maybe not.
Those heifers are priced about right except for the one that everyone has mentioned. Pass on her.

ALACOWMAN":11ne1o28 said:
No offense,I'd pass on em...they got fall apart written all over them...

+1 I wouldn't bid on them in the ring much less in the pasture.
You will have at least another 1500 in them before the first calf.
Buy a heck of a cow for that.

I don't know exactly where you are but you could probably buy some 7 weight heifers in the sale barn for 2.00 a lb or less that would be a little nicer than that even. If you buy some you will probably want to pelvic measure them just so you know what your chances are of them pushing a calf out.

Ojp6":1acrsuoy said:
I don't know exactly where you are but you could probably buy some 7 weight heifers in the sale barn for 2.00 a lb or less that would be a little nicer than that even. If you buy some you will probably want to pelvic measure them just so you know what your chances are of them pushing a calf out.

Amen you could put together a much better looking group out of the barn that would be ready to breed shortly.
The problem with putting a group of heifers like this together is a total crap shoot on if she or the
calf will survive. Just one crap out your so far in the hole that cow will never produce a profit.
This goes back to most cow owners have no clue to what it cost to keep a cow standing in the pasture a day.
Last years average was a 1.55 a day that is 565 dollars a year to stand there for me and my numbers are better than most. Until you know your cost per unit you are flying in the blind.
If you look at that group of calfs that he is looking to buy be six months at least before they are ready and condition to breed.
So the young man buys a group of unproven heifers for 1400 a head
puts another 280 bucks in them till breeding age waits another 283 days in hopes of a calf
that is another 438 dollars. He has over 2100 dollars a head in those heifers.
He can buy a better cow for that kind of money.

ALACOWMAN":23mgp4p8 said:
No offense,I'd pass on em...they got fall apart written all over them...
Please explain in more detail what you mean.
I am not saying I like them or that I would buy them, I can't tell you much about them by the pictures' I had rather buy the ol blue roam for 1100.00 and heavy bred that was in another post a couple days ago

What does "fall apart" refer to. I found a 2nd calf hereford 4 months bred to a hereford bull for $1800. Think I might buy her instead.

I would think you could do better than these for the same or less money. I know I could on my market. But I am not where you are so I don't know the market there. And if they are from an auction dealer you know he paid less than his asking price at the auction. I would pass. My opinion worth every nickel you paid for it.

They went for around 2.40 a pound. The dealer does a mark up. I was there when she bought them. I am new to the business si 20 seconds is not enough time for me to make a bid with that kind of money. I prefer to pay a little higher price and have time to make a wise choice.

Caustic Burno":3gqz8n9k said:
Ojp6":3gqz8n9k said:

Amen you could put together a much better looking group out of the barn that would be ready to breed shortly.
The problem with putting a group of heifers like this together is a total crap shoot on if she or the
calf will survive. Just one crap out your so far in the hole that cow will never produce a profit.
This goes back to most cow owners have no clue to what it cost to keep a cow standing in the pasture a day.
Last years average was a 1.55 a day that is 565 dollars a year to stand there for me and my numbers are better than most. Until you know your cost per unit you are flying in the blind.
If you look at that group of calfs that he is looking to buy be six months at least before they are ready and condition to breed.
So the young man buys a group of unproven heifers for 1400 a head
puts another 280 bucks in them till breeding age waits another 283 days in hopes of a calf
that is another 438 dollars. He has over 2100 dollars a head in those heifers.
He can buy a better cow for that kind of money.

And thats assuming he has his costs trimmed down to that 1.55 per day range...

BK9954":3jcd0qvf said:
What does "fall apart" refer to. I found a 2nd calf hereford 4 months bred to a hereford bull for $1800. Think I might buy her instead.
their light boned,shollow bodied..they tend to fall apart after their first calf...plus those are trader calves.. Put together to make a buck..

Latest posts