Shots

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
What vaccines are the bare minimum you would use on your Reg. cattle for both heifers and bulls I know from region to region different vaccines are needed and different vaccines for heifers and bulls but whats your program use

Cowboy you would need to do the Bangs before 12 months of age. Brucellosis was eradicated from our state also, but there is a chance of it coming back.
We also use in our cows Scour Bos 9 and 4 to prevent scours and overeating disease. Scour Guard 3 and 4 work also.

Well your lucky to be in Tennessee.
Here in Montana we now have to worry about the brucellosis ridden bison, in Yellowstone Park, they want to allow to roam from Canada to Colorado. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Yes it has already been proven to transfer from bison to cattle.
Poor Wyoming has a couple of counties that lost their brucellosis free status. :(
Our vet advised us to start doing it just to be on the safe side.
Everybody I talked to advised to get it done before 12 months of age.

In every state I'm aware of, brucellosis vaccination has to be given to heifers prior to 1 year of age, with the exception of bangs-free states where the vaccine is not required.

The bangs vacc is a LIVE vaccine, so the reason for it being given prior to one year of age is so that you don't run the risk of bred heifers aborting when the vaccine is given. Anything that's bred or older than 12 months needs to be given a special "cow" vaccine, and it's not easy to get a vet to order it in and administer it - may even require special testing prior to vaccination.

I vaccinate my herd for brucellosis, BVD types I and II, IBR, PI3, BRSV, the 5 strains of Lepto, Vibrio, the standard 7 clostridiums, and redwater.

cowboyup216":1bp50zb9 said:
Really the vet told me so long as it was done before 2 years old it would be okay. Sorry for any misinformation. Secondly my friend is a usda livestock inspector that travels all over the country giving speeches. Even traveled to England to help with the mad cow and hoof and mouth stuff over there. He is the one that advised me that here bangs is not an issue anymore and that until it is in his opinion it was not worth the extra money to come out and have em vaccinated.

Bang's Disease (Brucellosis) is a VERY SERIOUS disease that can cause numerous problems with cattle if they are not vaccinated in a timely manner. You do not want to put YOUR or OTHER's herds at risk by not doing it!

Also, many states have a requirement for interstate shipments of cattle to be Bangs and TB tested and free.

Any Vet that does not advocate Brucellosis vaccination should probably turn in his/her license and get a job at a fast food restaurant.

I rest my case...

I luv herfrds":2kctuvoe said:
Poor Wyoming has a couple of counties that lost their brucellosis free status. :(

Actually, the whole state lost the brucellosis free status, but we got it back. I think it was reinstated last year.

I listened to the Lone Star farm report yesterday. Texas may get its free status back in a few months. Still have several herds to check.Our biggest problem, IMO, is NAFTA. Not to get political, but if you allow not checked animals into the country by poor border security you can expect we will lose it again.

MSSCAMP I talked with our vet and any cattle coming out of those two counties MUST be tested and vaccinated for brucellosis before shipping.
Also it is a 5 year wait of being tested brucellosis free before getting the free status back. I know the herds had to be destroyed.
My father in law would talk about the testing and destroyed herds during the 1940's thru the 1970's.
It is a sad situation.

Having your cattle inoculated for Bangs is a tell-a-tell sign of professionalism. It shows a commitment to the health of your animals and the industry as a whole.

Latest posts