Weaning shots

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
Was just told I can't give my calves ultra vac or bovishield fold until they have have been weaned for at least three weeks. Anyone else know that or is it not true?

This may seem foolish, but I give a killed vaccine at branding, then mlv 2-3 weeks post weaning

We have always gave a 2nd round when we wean. Never an issue. Our calves are already eating and they seem to never miss a beat. Then if we sell 4-6 weeks later we can say they have had 2 rounds of shots. Sometimes it seems to help and other times it don't.

elkwc":lgvhhcpb said:
We have always gave a 2nd round when we wean. Never an issue. Our calves are already eating and they seem to never miss a beat. Then if we sell 4-6 weeks later we can say they have had 2 rounds of shots. Sometimes it seems to help and other times it don't.

We do it this way as well.

TennesseeTuxedo":303d64p5 said:
elkwc":303d64p5 said:

X3.

TCRanch":2cdkvmvd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2cdkvmvd said:
elkwc":2cdkvmvd said:

X3.
X4

See we were going to give our first round of shots a few days after weaning and then do the second round 2-3 weeks later but was told we would have to wait to do the first round until the calves have been weaned for 3-4 weeks..

holm25":2xjeqaa7 said:
See we were going to give our first round of shots a few days after weaning and then do the second round 2-3 weeks later but was told we would have to wait to do the first round until the calves have been weaned for 3-4 weeks..
. Have never heard that. I have talked to a few vets about it and never heard that from them. IMO you will be fine. Did they give you a reason why you should wait? I would ask a vet because my vets have said the way we do it is fine.

We either work calves prior to weaning, with a Blackleg vaccine like Covexin 8 and Vira Shield 6 +VL5 or at weaning time. Then a few weeks later give a MLV vaccine after they are over the stress of weaning.

I used to not use MLV but since we have been selling in a CPH sale a MLV is required for the second round.

The vaccination studies I have seen compare different vaccines, but they do not have an unvaccinated control. There is a theory out there that great stock men get the calves settled in w/o any chute work, and then vaccinate later when they are not under a lot of stress.

I know - - this is not what the drug companies tell us.

Your calves would be better off health wise if you gave the bovi-shield a couple weeks before weaning. It would be good if they had already developed some immunity when you started to wean. They are not going to respond as well to the vaccine when they are going through weaning stress at the same time.

I was going to work my weaning calves tomorrow. They are bawling like crazy and all worked up. I was going to give virasheild, blackleg, cydectin worm, implant steers, and give the potential replacement heifers first round of anaplas vaccine. Would I be dumb to do this why they are under this stress? As expensive as the anaplas vaccine is, sure don't want to waste it

We vaccinate at branding (2-3 months old) worm etc. And also sort calves off cows x3 days then vaccinate, worm etc. Yes they are experiencing stress but we almost NEVER have to revaccinate a calf due to illness etc after the fact.

T & B farms":32aihx2o said:
I was going to work my weaning calves tomorrow. They are bawling like crazy and all worked up.
Would I be dumb to do this while they are under this stress?
I would not say dumb, sometimes things just have get done on what's best for your schedule or time.

BUT I would say, it would be a better idea not to add to their stress and wait a week or two if it's not too
much trouble.

Son of Butch":f4uqhzua said:
Bovi-Shield Gold is not to be given to calves nursing pregnant cows, unless the cows have been previously vaccinated
with Bovi-Shield Gold in the manner described on the label.

The label certainly does try to put a scare into people for not using Preg-Guard, which is convenient considering they sell that product also. For me, the significant risk of pneumonia in calves outweighs whatever minuscule risk of abortion there may be when a vaccinated calf is nursing an unvaccinated cow. It's an overhyped issue.

I read all drug company side effect warnings of May Cause..... as WILL CAUSE...(especially human medications)
drug companies have more reasons to avoid printing or down play the side effects than to print the side effects,
but they do it to cover their butts from attorneys.

Latest posts