annual shots - questions

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
we work cattle in the fall and give vaccine boosters using covexin 8 and vira shield 6. the last few years we have also given injections of dectomax dewormer and multimin 90. this is 4 injections (2 on each side of the cow).

my questions are:
1) instead of dectomax injection what about just using dectomax pour on?
2) the cattle have free choice loose mineral available at all times. is the multimin 90 injection necessary?

thank you

Injectable>pour on.
I'd only give Multimin to new animals or animals with a dull cost or long hair still in the summer. That stuff is too expensive for me

I would stick with the injection wormer. With injection you are almost certain that the animal is getting the full benefit of the product. The MultiMin is probably not necessary if they have free choice mineral.

Like 5S I only give the MM to (new) animals where I am not sure if they have had anything. If any animal goes through the chute for anything other than routine maintenance, they also get a shot.

I wouldn't worry to much about excess needle punctures. When you give a SQ shot, massage around under the skin with your hand. That will help prevent lumps.

I believe in wormer, your choice, for calves, religously. As needed for mature cattle. Management.

ccr said:
we work cattle in the fall and give vaccine boosters using covexin 8 and vira shield 6. the last few years we have also given injections of dectomax dewormer and multimin 90. this is 4 injections (2 on each side of the cow).

my questions are:
1) instead of dectomax injection what about just using dectomax pour on?
2) the cattle have free choice loose mineral available at all times. is the multimin 90 injection necessary?

thank you

I am absolutely convinced that if you use a good pour on parasiticide AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, MEANING GET THE FULL DOSE ON THEIR BACK, pour on is VERY effective. In fact, I spoke at length with the guy (Dr. Falk, with Boehringer Ingelheim) who performed the clinical trial on Eprinomectin. They got higher blood serum levels of Eprinomectin in the cow with their pour on eprinomectin than they did with their injectable Eprinomectin. As he said, they sell both injectable and pour on eprinomectin and they make more profit on the injectable so they don't care which one you use, but he said there is a big misconception about pour on not being effective. NOTEWORTHY, the concentration of eprinomectin in the pour on is much higher than it is in the injectable. That accounts for the higher blood serum levels.

He said the biggest draw back to pour on is MISUSE. You got to get it on the cow in the right location - down the back, not on the ground.

I believe Multimin90 is a good product, but is not necessary if mineral is available. I do use MM90 30 days prior to breeding my herd 100% AI. Too expensive to randomly use if cattle look good.
I use Pour On.
Having said all that, 4 shots isn't a major problem. Just be sure to keep a hand width apart.

Latest posts