Shots

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
Ok I'm going with what I have on hand as I can't get any thing this week end. I am vaccinating 2 new comer cows with expectant calves in March. I have vita shield 6 + vl5, blackleg vaccine, and a pasturella vaccine. Shoul I give the recommended dosage of all 3 vaccine? Need to know now while they are on the trailer. Thanks

Tomcolvin said:
Ok I'm going with what I have on hand as I can't get any thing this week end. I am vaccinating 2 new comer cows with expectant calves in March. I have vita shield 6 + vl5, blackleg vaccine, and a pasturella vaccine. Shoul I give the recommended dosage of all 3 vaccine? Need to know now while they are on the trailer. Thanks

Vira Shield 6 + VL5 is a vaccine that covers 6 Fetal Protection Viruses in a killed preparation. In addition, it covers vibro and the 5 Leptospira bacteria in a bacterin. Being a killed preparation for the 6 viruses, it is safe for pregnant cows. You can give all three at one time. Use the dose stated in the directions.

Note: if it does not say HB - it does not cover the Leptospira Hardjo bovis (borgpetersenii) serovar.

Our vet recommends the Black leg separate from other shots by a couple of weeks as there are studies she has seen where the blackleg occupies the immume system and the other shots are less effective due to lack of proper immune response. That's all I know but she knows a heap.

Ebenezer said:
Our vet recommends the Black leg separate from other shots by a couple of weeks as there are studies she has seen where the blackleg occupies the immume system and the other shots are less effective due to lack of proper immune response. That's all I know but she knows a heap.

My vet has said that also. He says it is rarely convenient but if you can give the Clostridials separately, you probably get a better immune response due to less interference.

Bright Raven said:
Ebenezer said:

My vet has said that also. He says it is rarely convenient but if you can give the Clostridials separately, you probably get a better immune response due to less interference.

So, now we should be running calves through the chute 3 times at weaning if no shots are given before?

sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:
Ebenezer said:

So, now we should be running calves through the chute 3 times at weaning if no shots are given before?

The concern with vaccinating for multiple organisms at one time is overwhelming their immune system. For example, using a Clostridial (Blackleg 8 way), a Fetal Protection and pinkeye all at the same time. It becomes even more of a concern if the FP includes vibro and Leptospira (L5).

What I do is vaccinate all upcoming calves with Clostridial as a separate action at 3 months and 5 months (booster) of age.

Then later as the cows in your herd have been through previous vaccinations, there is less of an initial immune response. So not as much concern with overwhelming their immune system.

In everyday practice, most producers do not have the luxury of doing multiple vaccinations.

Bright Raven said:
sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:

The concern with vaccinating for multiple organisms at one time is overwhelming their immune system. For example, using a Clostridial (Blackleg 8 way), a Fetal Protection and pinkeye all at the same time. It becomes even more of a concern if the FP includes vibro and Leptospira (L5).

What I do is vaccinate all upcoming calves with Clostridial as a separate action at 3 months and 5 months (booster) of age.

Then later as the cows in your herd have been through previous vaccinations, there is less of an initial immune response. So not as much concern with overwhelming their immune system.

In everyday practice, most producers do not have the luxury of doing multiple vaccinations.
Thus lower rates of actual protection.

Latest posts