Shots for a puppy

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
What do you fellows do for shots for a new puppy? Anybody give them at home? What does it cost for the
normal 5/1 and a worm shot where you live? Thanks in advance.

dun":tmvzg6ef said:
Get a way from the city vets and fin you a country vet

What dun said. What kind of dog is it? The stuff the vet sells for heartworm, fleas and ticks will break you. Depending on the breed there are other options. Dunno about shots in your area, we do rabies and lepto for sure, can't remember what else we do.

fargus":24utfkq3 said:
dun":24utfkq3 said:
Get a way from the city vets and fin you a country vet

What dun said. What kind of dog is it? The stuff the vet sells for heartworm, fleas and ticks will break you. Depending on the breed there are other options. Dunno about shots in your area, we do rabies and lepto for sure, can't remember what else we do.
Mini Dachsund

Parvo/distemper vacc about every month from 2 to 5 months, rabies at 4-6 months, yearly for both after that.

The first you can get at most farm/ranch stores or buy it from the vet clinic and give it yourself, the second has to be given by a vet.

Be sure to give Parvo&distemper on timetable.. If you don't know what Parvo does,it kills the lineing of the gut. IF the puppy lives,it will grow back. Distemper attacks the brain,kills the dog.IF the dog lives over it,it will twitch.

My husband does all vaccinations. You can get vaccines from tractor supply, or order from jeffers.
For puppies we use the solo-jec-5 vaccine, its a 5 in one. The vet has told us not to use a 7 in one because in some cases it was causing young dogs to get lepto. We give a round at 6-8 weeks, a round 2 weeks after, and finally a third round two weeks after that. It is necessary to give the booster shots, otherwise puppies aren't protected from nasty stuff like parvo. The shots only cost about 4-5 dollars each, and are very easy to administer. For rabies, the county has a clinic once a year when the local vets are at places in the community for about an hour then they move to another place. It costs 10 for each dog.

Oh and def worm them too. You also can get the wormer at the same places. It's called Primex- canine. Just follow the directions on the box.

sheilad916":36emzx8c said:
My husband does all vaccinations. You can get vaccines from tractor supply, or order from jeffers.
For puppies we use the solo-jec-5 vaccine, its a 5 in one. The vet has told us not to use a 7 in one because in some cases it was causing young dogs to get lepto. We give a round at 6-8 weeks, a round 2 weeks after, and finally a third round two weeks after that. It is necessary to give the booster shots, otherwise puppies aren't protected from nasty stuff like parvo. The shots only cost about 4-5 dollars each, and are very easy to administer. For rabies, the county has a clinic once a year when the local vets are at places in the community for about an hour then they move to another place. It costs 10 for each dog.

I wanted to thank all of you for your replies. I got " Milo" a 5:1 from Schering-Plough Animal Health. I purchased it
at a small feed store that I stumbled across in town last Saturday. I was kind of in town and had headed toward a big family owned pet store I knew of but they did not carry any vaccine. It was $8.25 including tax. I called Tractor Supply once I saw I'm going to have to give another dose and their charge is $6.23 plus tax. Does it matter if the second or third shots are from the same manufacture? This stuff is called " Galaxy." I was going to have a fireman friend help me but I got tired of waiting. I watched a video on You Tube on giving shots to dogs the day before. I didn't get the " jab" the first try.
:( When I did I thought " Dang I've buried this needle in him! " He's good and it didn't seem to bother him that day. Today the shots seem to have caught up to his stomach but that might have been from him eating late after our trip to Brownwood that day. Thanks again for all your suggestions and guidance.

I buy the 5in1's at our local co-op. Seems like it is around 15.00 for two shots. They also carry Happy Jack worm pills just tell them the weight of the dog and they will give you the size you need. Give them one pill and a week later give them another. I do take them to the vet for a yearly rabies shot. If mosquitoes are as bad there as they are here you might consider heart worm pills also. I have to give them once a month.

I probably would try to use the same brand vaccine. But after that, when you vaccinate annually, it shouldn't matter the brand you use.

Latest posts