Shorthorns in the cajun country area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi Cypress,
I live in south La., and I am pretty much a hobbyist with cattle.
I read lots of info on different breeds before I decided to go with a Shorthorn bull. My main interest was grass conversion, and birth weight, and I don't believe that black cattle tastes any better than spotted cattle or red cattle. Yes, I am a heretic!
In April of 08 I bought a registered red roan bull at 18 mos old. I put him on 9 cows and they all appear to be bred and calving. 2 on the ground so far -1 solid dark red heifer off of 1st year black baldy- picture perfect and growing nicely. 1 ring eyed Hereford marked bull calf off of 1st year Hereford type commercial heifer RUNT that I did not think would breed- also a very nice looking calf. I'm guessing birth weight on both around 60-65 pounds.
The bull looks good and is growing well and would look better if not for my inexperience.(working and growing takes a little more feed no matter what kind of grass conversion you have) His disposition is very settled and easy, his bones are truly straight thick and sound.
My only kick with this bull is that he is going to be large, and with my small operation I am considering a more midsized framed bull. But if all the babies look as good as the first two, I'll have a lot more mulling to do.
I bought him fairly close by and could fill you in on what local breeders I am aware of if you are interested.

cmf1":15qxfv5d said:
Hi Cypress,
I live in south La., and I am pretty much a hobbyist with cattle.
I read lots of info on different breeds before I decided to go with a Shorthorn bull. My main interest was grass conversion, and birth weight, and I don't believe that black cattle tastes any better than spotted cattle or red cattle. Yes, I am a heretic!
In April of 08 I bought a registered red roan bull at 18 mos old. I put him on 9 cows and they all appear to be bred and calving. 2 on the ground so far -1 solid dark red heifer off of 1st year black baldy- picture perfect and growing nicely. 1 ring eyed Hereford marked bull calf off of 1st year Hereford type commercial heifer RUNT that I did not think would breed- also a very nice looking calf. I'm guessing birth weight on both around 60-65 pounds.
The bull looks good and is growing well and would look better if not for my inexperience.(working and growing takes a little more feed no matter what kind of grass conversion you have) His disposition is very settled and easy, his bones are truly straight thick and sound.
My only kick with this bull is that he is going to be large, and with my small operation I am considering a more midsized framed bull. But if all the babies look as good as the first two, I'll have a lot more mulling to do.
I bought him fairly close by and could fill you in on what local breeders I am aware of if you are interested.

Don't discount using the two bulls I posted earlier here to improve your herd and then using your bull to clean up. Just remember if you breed them to non beef type Shorthorns you will get some big framey non beef type cows.

What about Southwest Alabama, roughly 200 miles from Boton Rouge on the MS line. It is a small herd, and has not been bred for clubbiness but rather function. If that is close enough for you to take a peek at the cattle you can PM me.

3waycross said:
If you decide to AI there is a bull from Canada named Muridale Buster that's a roan and he also has a solid red son who is also available they are both real good bulls and both are very low birthweight bulls.

Very nice looking bulls. How have they worked for you?

Stocker Steve":33koxz4k said:
3waycross":33koxz4k said:
If you decide to AI there is a bull from Canada named Muridale Buster that's a roan and he also has a solid red son who is also available they are both real good bulls and both are very low birthweight bulls.

Very nice looking bulls. How have they worked for you?

Haven't used them yet. Probably gonna breed some of the older foundation S-horns to one of them this spring so as to not lose that blood. There just aren't that many good shorthorns around any more

Latest posts