Shorthorn heifer Charolais bull

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
A friend and I are trying to sell our show calves what is everyone's opinion on them?

blue9.jpg

blue5.png

blue4.png

My bull is 6 months is it to late to steer him?
I'm moving my cattle to land that already has a bull and they don't want another one out there.

P5110575.jpg

P5110572.jpg

Chips right, not to late, and diffidently try selling as a prospect.

As for the heifer, she for sure has show quality, and I would try to keep her around.

sim.-ang.king":1uqceg37 said:
Chips right, not to late, and diffidently try selling as a prospect.

As for the heifer, she for sure has show quality, and I would try to keep her around.

We can't keep either of our animals, don't have the land or money to raise them.
How much would a good amount be for him as a prospect steer?

I don't know what you could get for those calves in your area, but I'd clip that heifers head and get a couple better pictures of her. Your bull will make a nice steer.

Have you tried selling either one of them yet? If you need help pricing them, ask your Ag teacher to help. He should have an idea of their value and current prices.

You can advertise them on Craigslist. Many people sell heifer and steer prospects on it, plus it is free.

This web site has a classified section for show calves, try getting some pictures and posting them on this site. The heifer looks like she has some potential as a show heifer, the bull can easily be steered and make a hood county fair steer. They move quite a few calves on this site.
http://www.steerplanet.com/

chippie":1zpyo4qk said:
Have you tried selling either one of them yet? If you need help pricing them, ask your Ag teacher to help. He should have an idea of their value and current prices.

You can advertise them on Craigslist. Many people sell heifer and steer prospects on it, plus it is free.

VCC":1zpyo4qk said:
This web site has a classified section for show calves, try getting some pictures and posting them on this site. The heifer looks like she has some potential as a show heifer, the bull can easily be steered and make a hood county fair steer. They move quite a few calves on this site.
http://www.steerplanet.com/

I've tried both and gotten nothing but guess it couldn't hurt to repost.

You have priced this prospect out of emotional attachment instead of real world value. The pictures you have posted are less than flattering of both calves, head shots do nothing to serious buyers. In my opinion the white calf is worth market price at best and the shorty maybe a little shy of that. Beat me up as you wish but, that is my opprasial of the two calves.

Gabby,
What price have you tried selling them for?

How old is the Shorthorn? The fall fairs are getting ready to start and kids will be looking for Scramble Heifers.

I know that you think the world of your little guy. At his young age as a show steer project, you might be able to get $1000 depending on where you live. If you know how much he weighs, look up the market price and add a little to it.

The bull I would steer and market him to a county fair if he is pretty mellow then someone just starting out would be best target area with him hes not a bad county fair calf. The heifer since your in texas it should be easy to find someone to clip her out and price from there I think she could be pretty good just hard to see through all the hair and camera angles. When getting pics of show calves make sure your side shots are square to the calf and drop down some so your level with the calf not shooting from above them and always have a behind shot on both heifers and steers.

chippie":2lods028 said:
Gabby,
What price have you tried selling them for?
The bull was originally $2500, that's how much his Dam cost so I just wanted to make that back but I've lowered it to $2000 on the flyers I posted around.
The heifer was originally a lot more but seeing as neither of us are breeders no one is going to pay us an outrageous amount for our cattle.
Keyword yet.
How old is the Shorthorn? The fall fairs are getting ready to start and kids will be looking for Scramble Heifers.
The heifer was born Feb. 21, 2012
so about to be 6 months.
I know that you think the world of your little guy. At his young age as a show steer project, you might be able to get $1000 depending on where you live. If you know how much he weighs, look up the market price and add a little to it.
If no one calls about my bull by Tuesday I'm taking him to the sell barn, regardless.

Gabby,
That is way too much money for your bull calf. You won't get back the $ you spent for the cow. You might be able to get that price when he is two years old and tested, but for a herd bull prospect it is unrealistic.

I saw the ad for the heifer. She is cute. Get her clipped like she is going to a show and have someone hold her lead and set her up.
The pictures are very unflattering and being tied to the barb wire fence is unprofessional.

One thing though is that the price will have to be fair. This is the link to an online auction. It will give you an idea of prices.

http://www.showcattle.com/auction/default.aspx?cat=Shorthorn Click on the animal's name to view it's info.

I liked the little bull. Many talked about castrating it. I thought it looked good enough to use. Getting almost $800 for calf ain't bad at all. I know you had several dollars in its mother, but you have a nice cow to show for that investment. Good luck in the cattle biz.

Latest posts