Shorthorn bull pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Lon":3rdzz9bn said:
cow pollinater":3rdzz9bn said:
Massey135":3rdzz9bn said:
What doesn't work about "them"...? (as if you could generalize an entire breed like that :roll: )

Anything framey falls apart pretty fast here. Anything roan sells for longhorn price. Anything red that's not straight red angus sell at a discount. I know good and well that there are shorthorns that would be just fine here but it's a whole lot faster, easier, and more profitable to stick with the usual suspects of what works well here.

We got a guy that has some shorthorns around here too. He told me the roan color really gets him knocked at the sale barn and he should change because of it but there are 3 reasons he doesnt. He is retired and not trying to make a living at it, he really just likes shorthorn cows, and he thinks the roans are fun to look at.

Frankly i think it's just one more example of the "market" ruining the breed characteristics of another of our foundation breeds.

Lon":rrq17efq said:
cow pollinater":rrq17efq said:
Massey135":rrq17efq said:
What doesn't work about "them"...? (as if you could generalize an entire breed like that :roll: )

Anything framey falls apart pretty fast here. Anything roan sells for longhorn price. Anything red that's not straight red angus sell at a discount. I know good and well that there are shorthorns that would be just fine here but it's a whole lot faster, easier, and more profitable to stick with the usual suspects of what works well here.

We got a guy that has some shorthorns around here too. He told me the roan color really gets him knocked at the sale barn and he should change because of it but there are 3 reasons he doesnt. He is retired and not trying to make a living at it, he really just likes shorthorn cows, and he thinks the roans are fun to look at.
And 4th and most importantly, he doesn't know how to market his product. Ill sell roan heifers and structurally correct steers for a premium all day long.

Massey135":2eunbr2r said:

(I said this part)We got a guy that has some shorthorns around here too. He told me the roan color really gets him knocked at the sale barn and he should change because of it but there are 3 reasons he doesnt. He is retired and not trying to make a living at it, he really just likes shorthorn cows, and he thinks the roans are fun to look at.
(Massey said this part) And 4th and most importantly, he doesn't know how to market his product. Ill sell roan heifers and structurally correct steers for a premium all day long.[/quote]

I am going to try and reply to this again. This last time i did i dont see that it showed up so here it goes again. I am sure you do sell them at a premium, (I assume since you say premium you are talking about selling them as show calves cause i know that they bring a heck of a premium) but you will not sell those same roan heifers and structurally correct steers to commercial cattlemen here. Key words being commercial cattlemen here. Also most cattlemen here that are making thier living off of just cattle probably will not take nor do they probably have the time to specifically market them roan calves to get the same money as they would if they werent roan. We are talking about people with 300 head of cattle or more. And i am not bashing shorthorns i say this because it seems like every time someone says roan calves get docked in thier part of the country you seem to take offense like they are saying shorthorns suck and tell them its because they need to learn to market calves or some reason and you dont get docked. so again i am not bashing shorthorns here i have seen a shorthorn bull or 2 that i have really liked and i have heard good things about them from old timers on how they were THE momma cow to have before they went to getting messed up with people breeding them for show calves. The only reason i will probably not use them is because of the fact that here the market when selling calves will dock the roan colored ones.

Jungles shorthorn farm seems to be doing ok with his commercially oriented shorthorns in the dakotas. Think he sold 50 bulls at the northwestern.

Massey135":3m6o0swe said:
Jungles shorthorn farm seems to be doing ok with his commercially oriented shorthorns in the dakotas. Think he sold 50 bulls at the northwestern.

Yes he does seem to be doing good with them. I can go somewhere into texas and oklahoma and find someone that seems to do darn great with thier longhorn bull business to selling them to commercial cattlemen somewhere. This is why i didnt say 100% will never buy them i said something closer to 99% i believe. Again i know they can be a great momma cow even been told if you can get good commercial ones they are The cow to have not to mention seen a red bull posted on this site that i really liked myself but 90 some percent of commercial cattlemen and i can say dang close to 99% of the ones i know making thier living solely from thier cattle will not use them because of the dock the roan color will bring them. If it were not for the cahnce of the roan color there is alot of people myself included that would be way more inclined to use one but will not cause the chance of the roan will get you docked around here. also i am located in south dakota is closer to the hays kansas than it is to kathryn north dakota. and one more time just for clarification the roan color will still get you docked around here does not mean they arent great cows that will raise one heck of a calf if you get good commercial type ones it just means that they will get docked if they show up roan so alot of cattlemen around here will not and i mean will not use them because of that.

also there are a few nice looking bulls in the bunch so congrats to the breeder.

3waycross":11264fq0 said:
Frankly i think it's just one more example of the "market" ruining the breed characteristics of another of our foundation breeds.

I agree 100% with you on this. it stinks to see so many different breeds so far away from what truely made them great in the first place. and black just dont mean marbling because of angus genetics anymore. it also doesnt mean easy doing good rangy cows like it once did either. i think if i knew more about finishing them out myself all the way instead of just cow calf and running yearlings on grass i would take and run them straight threw till finished and than sell once the hide is peeled off when it wouldnt matter anymore.

Latest posts