Shorthorn bull pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

nice deep sided red bulls. i take it that the black cattle have not taken over canada, like they have here in the usa.

Great thick and masculine bulls. Lovely combination of guts, butts and nuts. And crests worth noting too.

ANAZAZI":3lzncwt1 said:
Great thick and masculine bulls. Lovely combination of guts, butts and nuts. And crests worth noting too.

Not picking a fight but complimenting a bull for it's crest @ 2 years of age is like telling some how great it is that their dog has hair over most of it's body.

BTW nice bulls as always they look great!

They look pretty good. I think I'd have to go with Knersie and say 33x is the best of the bunch. It's the back half of him that makes him standout from the rest.

cow pollinater":21nvtveb said:
They look pretty good. I think I'd have to go with Knersie and say 33x is the best of the bunch. It's the back half of him that makes him standout from the rest.

That and the overall balance. We've got to stop agreeing like this! ;-)

KNERSIE":3p0omu0q said:
cow pollinater":3p0omu0q said:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't like the white underbelly and the patch up by his tailhead. I'm more scared of random white patches than I am of a white line down the back. :lol: Shorthorns don't work here anyway so it's a moot point but if I were going to buy a bull here it would be one of the solid reds regardless of who the "best" bull is.

Anybody notice that they all have mud and manure in the same place on the same leg??? I think they are all the same red bull with white spray paint added here and there to make them look different :mrgreen:

Seriously, those are some nice bulls. Very thick. Great job TGIB!

cow pollinater":23x0smrj said:
KNERSIE":23x0smrj said:
cow pollinater":23x0smrj said:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't like the white underbelly and the patch up by his tailhead. I'm more scared of random white patches than I am of a white line down the back. :lol: Shorthorns don't work here anyway so it's a moot point but if I were going to buy a bull here it would be one of the solid reds regardless of who the "best" bull is.
What doesn't work about "them"...? (as if you could generalize an entire breed like that :roll: )

HOSS":1zi4ai4c said:
Anybody notice that they all have mud and manure in the same place on the same leg??? I think they are all the same red bull with white spray paint added here and there to make them look different :mrgreen:

Seriously, those are some nice bulls. Very thick. Great job TGIB!

If found the mud/cr*p on the left rear legs and odd coincidence too Hoss.

3waycross":11u4etau said:
ANAZAZI":11u4etau said:

Not picking a fight but complimenting a bull for it's crest @ 2 years of age is like telling some how great it is that their dog has hair over most of it's body.
BTW nice bulls as always they look great!

Ya know generally Id agree with you but Id have to say that a 2yr old bull with a prominent crest is more impressive than it really should be. There are a lot of long necked (should be) steers out there breeding cows. I do have to say that when I first saw these pics, the masculinity(crest) and hip length from hook to pin really stuck out. A lot of bulls lacking both these. The tail set of these bulls is ABSOLUTELY IDEAL. I cannot stand a tail head that is set above the spine.

I like the 12x bull- real clean made.

That caked mud's from being dry lotted on a frozen pad all winter.

Well, until I see some empirical data based on scientific measurements and, testerone levels, and sperm counts I am going to continue to hold that a crest is a crest and it sure wouldn't be the deciding factor in my assement of a bull.

Massey135":eotaydwk said:
Are you saying you don't think a prominent crest is an idication of masculinity?

of course not. I just believe that there a lot of really good bulls out there that do not exhibit it at 1yr. Most do display a good crest by 2yrs though. That was my original point

Massey135":3iob2mvz said:
What doesn't work about "them"...? (as if you could generalize an entire breed like that :roll: )

Anything framey falls apart pretty fast here. Anything roan sells for longhorn price. Anything red that's not straight red angus sell at a discount. I know good and well that there are shorthorns that would be just fine here but it's a whole lot faster, easier, and more profitable to stick with the usual suspects of what works well here.

cow pollinater":32gful2b said:
Massey135":32gful2b said:

Anything framey falls apart pretty fast here. Anything roan sells for longhorn price. Anything red that's not straight red angus sell at a discount. I know good and well that there are shorthorns that would be just fine here but it's a whole lot faster, easier, and more profitable to stick with the usual suspects of what works well here.

We got a guy that has some shorthorns around here too. He told me the roan color really gets him knocked at the sale barn and he should change because of it but there are 3 reasons he doesnt. He is retired and not trying to make a living at it, he really just likes shorthorn cows, and he thinks the roans are fun to look at.

Latest posts