Shopping List

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
I thought it might be a good idea to post a shopping list, especially for those just getting started. Some folks might not realize what they are getting into, and these costs may come as a suprise to some, after they have already jumped in. I just want to make a list of the MINIMUM that a person needs to get started raising cattle. I am sure there will be differences of opinion on what the minimum actually is, but this is what I have come up with off the top of my head. I invite all of you to add anything that you feel should be on the list, maybe we can make this a "sticky" when we are done? Please only list what you consider a bare minimum of what is needed to get started.

fencing tools (depends on what kind of fence you have-
fence pliers, stretchers, post hole diggers or spade)
fencing materials (wire, posts, staples, clips, etc.)
extra fencing materials (for repairs)
corral
shelter
head catch or squeeze chute (a snubbin' post and two portable
panels can be substituted, that's all we ever used to use)
pickup and stock trailer
calf puller
ropes
tractor/loader (admit it,....it's necessary)
vet supplies (vaccine gun, anti-biotics, scour bolus, blood stop, pinkeye med, etc.)
Ivermectin
branding irons/ear tags/tagger
Bull (or AI tech)

You can add a good bar to tamp and bust and pry rocks with. At least we need one around here. A good wrench and socket set is always handy.

grubbie":1y4ccam0 said:
fence pliers, stretchers, post hole diggers or spade)
corral
shelter
pickup and stock trailer
calf puller
ropes
tractor/loader (admit it,....it's necessary)
vet supplies (vaccine gun, anti-biotics, scour bolus, blood stop, pinkeye med, etc.)
Ivermectin
Bull (or AI tech)

You might want a cow to go with your bull… some grass and water…. a little salt…. someone who likes to work hard and long for no compensation… and maybe not a necessity, but would sure make things easier: a big bag of money.

Shoot, if your going to put a tractor with a loader on there, then I can think of about 100 different tools you need just to deal with the tractor and loader.

In the short time I have been doing this, the MOST useful thing we have had is the tractor with the front end loader (grapple not bucket), and the Gator. There are a lot of places that I could not access on my ranch without the gator, and its much less maintenance than a horse, and it does not tear up the pastures when you drive through. I Guess it could be a "luxury" item, but personally I think its a necessity.

That's a good basic list, hope it does end up as a sticky. The only thing I noticed not on the list was a stock tank or stock tank heater.

Some people get by without the tractor/front end loader.

Okay, added tamping bar, stock tank/ heater, deleted tractor and loader. Would like to add gator, we use quads and motorcycles here, probably the best tools we have. But, I think they probably fit in the same category as the loader.

fence pliers, stretchers, post hole diggers or spade, bar for tamping and tough digging)
corral
shelter
pickup and stock trailer
calf puller
ropes
stock tank/ tank heater
Ivermectin
Bull (or AI tech)

Grubbie, the bare minimum you need is a wife to do the heavy work, a pair of pliers, some baling wire, and a piece of duct tape. The duct tape is to put across her mouth when she starts complaining when you give her orders.

Roadapple":20srnx6g said:
Grubbie, the bare minimum you need is a wife to do the heavy work, a pair of pliers, some baling wire, and a piece of duct tape. The duct tape is to put across her mouth when she starts complaining when you give her orders.
Well if that is the case, then I will still need the calf puller after trying to give the wife orders. Of course, it would now be known as a "foot removal tool".....

Latest posts