Abreviation list

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I tried the search feature, but there are so many results I thought I would just ask if there could be a sticky for the common abreviations and terms used on this board. I have figured some of them out, but others are a puzzle.

I think ww is weaning weight and ce is calving ease, but what is epd? Thee are a bunch more of them. Somee help for the new guy trying to learn would be great.

If there is a list, please point me to it.

thanks,
Tater

Don't be afraid to ask. Some of them I still wonder about. Most though relate to epd's which relate to numbers given to certain traits of animals. Just ask and someone will give you the answer

Well, it's not an abbreviation, but what about "shear" when you use that #, is it more desirable to use a bull with a higher # or lower #?
I THINK higher is better, as in most cases, but would like to know for certain.

tater74":2pdg8obj said:
I tried the search feature, but there are so many results I thought I would just ask if there could be a sticky for the common abreviations and terms used on this board. I have figured some of them out, but others are a puzzle.

I think ww is weaning weight and ce is calving ease, but what is epd? Thee are a bunch more of them. Somee help for the new guy trying to learn would be great.

thanks,
Tater

What I would like to know is what op means? Thanks, Phil

SPJRanch":2xrl1tlm said:
tater74":2xrl1tlm said:

thanks,
Tater

What I would like to know is what op means? Thanks, Phil
Original Poster - of a thread

glacierridge":373jjn0o said:
Well, it's not an abbreviation, but what about "shear" when you use that #, is it more desirable to use a bull with a higher # or lower #?
I THINK higher is better, as in most cases, but would like to know for certain.
Shear is Warner-Bratzler shear force (WBSF). It's a specific test of how much force it takes to shear a hunk of meat prepared to the standards for testing. With Simmenthal lower is better (more tender)

glacierridge":2ge7t8m5 said:
I guess to clarify, do other breeds measure this, and do they all measure it the same way, lower being better?
I dont know what breeds use it besides Simmenthal. Unless there is some kind of goofy calcualtion to come up with the EPD less would always be better I would think but I don;t know for sure.
I know we used a Simmenthal bull with a shear of -.12 and you could cut the round steaks with your fork.

dun":2kv7l6f8 said:
glacierridge":2kv7l6f8 said:
I guess to clarify, do other breeds measure this, and do they all measure it the same way, lower being better?
I dont know what breeds use it besides Simmenthal. Unless there is some kind of goofy calcualtion to come up with the EPD less would always be better I would think but I don;t know for sure.
I know we used a Simmenthal bull with a shear of -.12 and you could cut the round steaks with your fork.

My brother grows meat like that... quite amazing, isn't it?

Latest posts