Cut list

Help Support CattleToday:

mbui

Reaction score
I am about to take my first two steers to butcher looking for some sample cut lists so I can tell the butcher

It really depends on what you want and how you like to cook. I get alot of things cut into steaks that should probably be a roast. My wife is not a big cook, so we end up grilling as much as we can. I don't mind a tough steak though.

They should have a standardized list that you can make your selections from.

dun":3s4s2d5h said:
They should have a standardized list that you can make your selections from.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Steaks...bone-in...T-bone, Delmonico, Rib
Steaks...bone-out...NY strip, Filet Mignon
Top round steak, sirloin steak,
Short ribs, arm roast, shoulder steaks (sometimes called flat-iron) eye of round roast, stew meat (cut-up chunks) ground beef/hamburger,ox-tail, bottom round roast

Just to name a few.

As dun said, the butcher/processor should have a list/cut-sheet for you to 'order' from.

And as Bigfoot stated, much of it depends on the types of cuts of beef you all like to eat.

Katherine

I love to cook grill and smoke I would probably like to get more roasts, thicker steaks and less hamburger I am just looking for some samoles to get stared with

tell your butcher what you like to cook and he will be able to help you. He should ask you questions about how thick you want your steaks, how many in a package, do you want your round steaks tenderized, the weight of your roasts, & how you want your hamburger ground (we always get it lean).

Make sure you get the tri-tip and the flank steaks, most times they grind them. Might even try to get the hanging tenderloin.

I have found that many of my customers don't want as many arm roasts etc. They seem to want steaks and hamburger. Lots of good hamburger that can be used in many different ways. I also have the processor make some rolled roasts for special occasions or for slicing for sandwiches. My standard is to process for minimum bone and trim lean. The processor should help you with this as discussed above. Good luck.

Jim

Latest posts