She's keeping me guessing....

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Lulu, a 10yr old, was AI'ed on 19 June 2012. She's been keeping me guessing for a while now, was hoping for a heifer but looks like it's going to have nuts :(

Went to check on her this afternoon and her daughter, Candy(crazy looking cow), rushed out at me. She's really docile and tame so that surprised me. She calmed down as soon as she realised who I was.

Coming to investigate
DSC01928_zpsc701140b.jpg

Watch it!
DSC01929_zpsfbc38001.jpg

Oh! It's only you
DSC01930_zpsc5dd35fe.jpg

Found Lulu
DSC01934_zps8ea5174d.jpg

Lulu ignoring me
DSC01935_zps2d582d11.jpg

Just checked on her, 21h00, nothing doing.

Lulu has a beautiful top line !

She sure is keeping the suspense going isn't she . Hopefully you will come out this morning to a beautiful new healthy babe . :tiphat:

Thanks all :D

Got up at 4h30 this morning, for nothing :roll: . It is 16hoo here now, the cows have just come in from the bush and she's looking pretty uncomfortable. Here udder has also almost doubled in size so something has to give tonight. Oh, and it looks like we may be in for some rain later..... :nod:

alisonb":15s2g4hs said:
Thanks all :D

Got up at 4h30 this morning, for nothing :roll: . It is 16hoo here now, the cows have just come in from the bush and she's looking pretty uncomfortable. Here udder has also almost doubled in size so something has to give tonight. Oh, and it looks like we may be in for some rain later..... :nod:
One can always hope. We had one like that this year that was bacgged tight as a drum for almost a week. One that didn;t bag until the last day calved then the other one popped the next day. The first one was 3 days early the other was 4 days early, both heifers calves.

alisonb":316f4vkx said:
Here udder has also almost doubled in size so something has to give tonight. Oh, and it looks like we may be in for some rain later..... :nod:

That will probably do it! I know with mine, when they are close, if its going to rain, sleet, snow, hail, ice storm or thunderstorm.....they'll calve at that time. :roll:

Let us know what she has.

Katherine

dun":10u1k56q said:
both heifers calves.
Ah, there's hope :D
Workinonit Farm":10u1k56q said:
I know with mine, when they are close, if its going to rain, sleet, snow, hail, ice storm or thunderstorm.....they'll calve at that time. :roll:
Katherine
No rain last night but our first cold front has come rolling in, got blasted by icey cold wind when I went out this morning :shock: . Katherine, it is strange how they will choose the foulest weather to calve, some say it has to do with atmospheric pressure :?:

Thanks LAR, the statue is now very much alive.

Well, no calf yet but she has just fairly bust through the gate to get up to the bush area. Will have to put my walking boots on :banana:

Sounds like she's getting even closer!

I had 3, one time, that chose to calve during an ice storm! Next day all three calves were fine, but not long afterward I could see where they all had gotten frostbite on the tips of their ears and tails.

Good luck.

Katherine

alisonb":y46e0w9q said:
Well, no calf yet but she has just fairly bust through the gate to get up to the bush area. Will have to put my walking boots on :banana:
:lol2: Crack me up! Tomorrow's update will be "She looked at me sideways ~ I think this could be it!" ;-)
Been there, done that Alison. Half the fun for them is keeping us stomping around pastures and peeking around trees.
Good luck and carry on!

That is one beautiful, deep-bodied cow. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that in that picture, she looks several days away from calving. Maybe we should start a pool. Good luck with everything. That's very pretty country. Craig

OK Angie, there won't be a 'tomorrow' update, we have a calf :D

Thanks for the kind words Craig :D

Put my boots on and went up to the veld for the delivery. Starting labor
DSC01950_zpsfc7f7897.jpg

Water broken
DSC01954_zps8cff5885.jpg

It was so peaceful that at a stage I almost dozed off until Lulu decided to move in closer to me
DSC01963_zps8c4d0d6b.jpg

Old girl knows her stuff, she's so calm, here comes the calf. Is it a bull/heifer????
DSC01965_zps3e3e67a1.jpg

There we go
DSC01971_zps0fc92272.jpg

That crazy cow Candy - big sister comes to check
DSC01973_zps3f01ebbd.jpg

Zoom in and what do you see....a little white sac :cry2: :lol:
DSC01982_zpse88a29c6.jpg

So wanted a little heifer as Lulu was AI'ed with Jersey semen. Glad all went fine though and we have a healthy ma and calf. Will try and get a better pic of the little bugger tomorrow.

Should have named this thread "Saving Little Lulu"!

Did my rounds late last night and all was fine. Got up this morning with the birds as usual and went to look at Lulu. There she was stretched out flat, bloated, legs stiff, rumen fluid running out her nostrils but breathing - the late stages of Milk Fever. Ran and got a rope, roped her head up a little(roped to nearest post) so it was not totally flat - there was no ways I was going to right her on my own, crew had not arrived yet. Administered calcium borogluconate into milk vein. Her whole body is in tremors, manage to get some packing under and get her head higher, breathing improved. Crew arrived, we curled her legs in and right her - big relief!!! Have just finished IV'ing her with a mix of Dex + more calcium borogluconate, gave her Nuflor in case of pneumonia as she inhaled rumen content into the lungs.

She tried to get up but is still too weak, lets hope there is no nerve damage to top this all. Will let you all know.

16h30 here - still down, not drinking water or eating. At least tremors have stopped and she does not seem to have brain damage. Have now treated for damaged nerve as well....only time will tell.

Latest posts