Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic motor oil

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Has anyone used this in their tractor? It is designed for heavy diesel engines. I was thinking of 15W-40. It is available at Walmart. I would like to switch my JD 5083E over to synthetic.

Bright Raven said:
Has anyone used this in their tractor? It is designed for heavy diesel engines. I was thinking of 15W-40. It is available at Walmart. I would like to switch my JD 5083E over to synthetic.

You do know it's still made from petroleum?

Caustic Burno said:
Bright Raven said:

I didn't. How is it formulated?

Bright Raven said:
Caustic Burno said:
Bright Raven said:

I didn't. How is it formulated?

Through a chemical process that produces a molecule in the exact lubrications range for its intended use.
Mobil has a pretty good primer on it. I'm not really sold it's better. My eldest is in management for a large company operating fleets of Cummins diesels.
When I asked if engine repairs went down after switching he said not really.
Now those engines are getting abused daily by contract personnel and in unfriendly environments.

"
Synthetic oil is made in the lab, thus each manufacturer takes different approaches. No manufacturer is about to share proprietary information about the process, but we can deduce certain facts about development without sounding like a chemistry professor in the process.

Full synthetic, or 100 percent synthetic oils, are usually extracted from crude oil or a byproduct of the same. In the case of Pennzoil, they have figured out how extract synthetic oil from natural gas."

All in all they are still refining or through a catalytic process making a C-20 to a C-34 hydrocarbon blending to get the proper viscosity to pass the ball bearing test. The biggest advantage IMO is the detergent additives to keep everything clean.

CB, seems the use of the term "full synthetic" is an advertising ploy like "Certified Angus Beef". Advertising employs these practices everywhere. Buyer beware!

Nevertheless, here is a good article discussing the details. It does look like the full synthetic oils offers additional protection. As you mentioned, the more uniform molecular size is very beneficial as it increases lubricity.

https://www.idrivesafely.com/defensive-driving/trending/synthetic-oil-vs-conventional-oil

callmefence said:
Bright Raven said:

Yes and in my jd5085e

Thanks. T6 Rotella Full Synthetic is rated by several consumer reports are being one of the best.

Have never used it in the past. Going to put 5W40 T6 in the skid steer this fall, maybe it won't be such a bear to get going in the winter.

No doubt it's good oil.

Bright Raven said:
CB, seems the use of the term "full synthetic" is an advertising ploy like "Certified Angus Beef". Advertising employs these practices everywhere. Buyer beware!

Nevertheless, here is a good article discussing the details. It does look like the full synthetic oils offers additional protection. As you mentioned, the more uniform molecular size is very beneficial as it increases lubricity.

https://www.idrivesafely.com/defensive-driving/trending/synthetic-oil-vs-conventional-oil

I have 50 gallons of the stuff it's good oil. That was given to me if not I would use regular RotellaT.
You nailed it Synthetic is a whole lot like CAB.
Not getting into a full blown organic chemistry class your internal combustion engine works as old refining process called thermal cracking. Heat and pressure breaks down longer hydrocarbons into shorter ones. This is where things get funky fast, first the shorter chain molecules have less lubricity. The second thing that happens is a carbon atom breaks it needs four bonds. This is where Hyrochorlic acids along with gums and ammonia salts can be formed. This occurs from sulfur,ammonia,organic nitrogen or water molecules recombination in the thermal cracking process.

From my observations synthetic oil is way better in newer engines. I change my oil every 5k miles and there's no doubt synthetic oil stays cleaner and is more slippery when I drain it. If synthetic oil has more detergents why does it stay cleaner longer?

In a nutshell the more consistent molecular size resist thermal breakdown for a longer period.
It will breakdown just like conventional in time.
Being able to tell the viscosity when draining is a talent you might want to discuss with Exxon.

Caustic Burno said:
In a nutshell the more consistent molecular size resist thermal breakdown for a longer period.
Being able to tell the viscosity when draining is a talent you might want to discuss with Exxon.

I didn't use that word (viscosity) I used slippery because that's how it feels to me. FYI, black oil is not as slippery as brown oil. I look at, feel, and smell my oil every time I change it, and most times when I just check it. Synthetic oil still burns when I mix it 50 - 50 and burn it in my truck and tractors.

What do think viscosity is.
It all goes back to the Viscosity Index
"Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It describes the internal friction of a moving fluid. A fluidwith large viscosity resists motion because its molecular makeup gives it a lot of internal friction. A fluid with low viscosity flows easily because its molecular makeup results in very little friction when it is in motion."
= Slippery to tacky.

Caustic Burno said:

So some newer engines spec synthetic for longer engine life, or longer change invervals, or tighter clearances, or ???

Bright Raven" I would like to switch my JD 5083E over to synthetic. [/quote said:
How many hours on that E series? What benefit are you expecting from synthetic motor oil?
I have 3,300 on mine, and was told once the engines need to be rebilt by 5,000...

Stocker Steve said:
Caustic Burno said:

So some newer engines spec synthetic for longer engine life, or longer change invervals, or tighter clearances, or ???

IMOO tighter clearances chasing mileage the other longer change interval and engine life came along for the ride. With synthetic oil you can get clearances down to the molecular level and maintain lubrication. With uniform molecular structure you can get better lubrication along it takes longer for oxidation and thermal breakdown to occur.
Thermal breakdown starts occurring at 240 degrees in conventional oil.
I had to look this one up synthetic can take up to 450 degrees. After all that you get into shear stability testing in an oils abilities to maintain viscosity.
That's my basic understanding from rubbing elbows with research engineers in the refinery. My area of expertise was Cyclic Catalytic Reforming and Hydrocracking.

Caustic Burno said:
Stocker Steve said:
Caustic Burno said:

IMOO tighter clearances chasing mileage the other longer change interval and engine life came along for the ride. With synthetic oil you can get clearances down to the molecular level and maintain lubrication. With uniform molecular structure you can get better lubrication along it takes longer for oxidation and thermal breakdown to occur.
Thermal breakdown starts occurring at 240 degrees in conventional oil.
I had to look this one up synthetic can take up to 450 degrees. After all that you get into shear stability testing in an oils abilities to maintain viscosity.
That's my basic understanding from rubbing elbows with research engineers in the refinery. My area of expertise was Cyclic Catalytic Reforming and Hydrocracking.

Exactly. Those are the benefits I am striving for.

Is the synthetic discussion more about ambient temperatures? I am in middle TN and we seldom get below 20°any more. I run 15W40 in all my diesel machines and have had no oil related problems. I do have an old JD that is a PITA to start below 40-50 but I don't think it is oil related.
So it the synthetic advantage more for extreme high or low temperature climates?

dvcochran said:
Is the synthetic discussion more about ambient temperatures? I am in middle TN and we seldom get below 20°any more. I run 15W40 in all my diesel machines and have had no oil related problems. I do have an old JD that is a PITA to start below 40-50 but I don't think it is oil related.
So it the synthetic advantage more for extreme high or low temperature climates?

I think your problem is the weight. You should probably drop down to ta 10-15.

Latest posts