sharing fence cost/neighbor

Help Support CattleToday:

rws":21zs4cp8 said:
wouldnt it have to be the accepted property line by both property owners for 25 years you would think if it was my property i could build a fence any where i chose right?
They are not talking about cross fences. The are talking about LINE fences. Line fences that show the property line.

Wish I had someone who would pay the bucks for their share - despite the laws, courts here do not demand the fences be kept up under shared agreement. We do it all.

Bez!

I don't know what the laws regarding fences are here, but we always built our own and maintained them just so we knew our cattle stayed where they should be.

A lot of people here think that if a fence is over on another's property that they can legally call that property theirs.
The only way they can aquire that land, would be by fraud. Deeds and Surveys prove ownership, not fences. A lot of our boundry markers are old stumps, and piles of rock that have been here for who knows how long, that are used as corner markers.It's even written in on the deeds.

Crowder, if your post was in response to mine, I meant more from the building and maintaining boundary fences. We just did it to make sure our cattle stayed where they should be. Didn't worry about the neighbors kicking to help.

Crowderfarms":1kgp4ogj said:
A lot of people here think that if a fence is over on another's property that they can legally call that property theirs.
The only way they can aquire that land, would be by fraud. Deeds and Surveys prove ownership, not fences. A lot of our boundry markers are old stumps, and piles of rock that have been here for who knows how long, that are used as corner markers.It's even written in on the deeds.

I don't know anything about Tennessee laws. All I can do is relate what I know about Alabama law, and here 25 years of uncontested use is as good as any deed or any survey. I have gained property this way (and gone to an attorney to verify that I could give a clear deed) and have had friends who lost property in court because of a 30 year old fence.

I renewed or repaired all the fence lines anywhere my cattle will be on our entire place. Where our homes are I did nothing to repair the fence line behind our property and told the guy who runs cows behind me I had no intention of fixing it since I will not have any livestock on my side of that fence. Well his cows keep getting in my yard and I told him twice he needed to fix that fence to keep his cows on his side. He has not done a thing to correct the problem in six months. The next cow/cows/calfs or whatever that get in my yard are gettin run down to MY pasture. ;-)

Brandonm2":9m3e68o9 said:
Crowderfarms":9m3e68o9 said:

I don't know anything about Tennessee laws. All I can do is relate what I know about Alabama law, and here 25 years of uncontested use is as good as any deed or any survey. I have gained property this way (and gone to an attorney to verify that I could give a clear deed) and have had friends who lost property in court because of a 30 year old fence.

Same in Texas Crowder.

Many years ago, there was an old "7 Year Law". If you maintained a fenceline for seven years, you could call the property lying within that common fenceline yours.
May sound crazy, but there are still some dishonest realtors making a mint off of old deeds, and surveys, when they get a large parcel to either split or sell as an entire parcel.

In Missouri, you face the fence and the right half is yours to keep up, the left half is the responsibility of the neighbor. In a case where the neighbor has no livestock, they are not responsible for any fence. However, when you build the fence, you can legally take the cost of materials and labor for the fence on his half down to the court house and it will be attached to the neighbors property and if there is every any livestock on the property, that neighbor is immediately responsible for the old fence costs----that takes care of the renting later situation. In general, I believe if you have to fight about it, then you are better off to just take care of it yourself

stocky":2lm1z0c3 said:
In Missouri, you face the fence and the right half is yours to keep up, the left half is the responsibility of the neighbor. In a case where the neighbor has no livestock, they are not responsible for any fence. However, when you build the fence, you can legally take the cost of materials and labor for the fence on his half down to the court house and it will be attached to the neighbors property and if there is every any livestock on the property, that neighbor is immediately responsible for the old fence costs----that takes care of the renting later situation. In general, I believe if you have to fight about it, then you are better off to just take care of it yourself
Could you elaborate more on the right half / left half thing? Do you start in the middle? I am confused.

Real simple. Picture your self at the beginning of a North/South Fence. Your property lets say, lays to the left, you keep up that side, your neighbor maintains the other side, like Stocky said in his case, if that neighbor has no livestock, you, being the stock owner, will maintain the fence. In other words, if your neighbor has no stock putting wear and tear on the fence, it's your resposibility. Now that I've really confused you.

Here in Arizona we maintain our boundary fences if I see ahole I fix it if my neighbors see a hole they fix it (all except one I have to keep a close eye as that fence is always getting new holes) My problem are the inholders that move in and build no fence then they want to call you at 2 inthe morning because the cattl are eating,drinking,rubbing or pooping on there property. I pretty much just turn the phone off at nite. Had one crazy Californian haul us all the way to court she must have thought I was stupid for not bringing a lawyer. Now she lives back in town if I can only figure out how to get the rest of them to go back what a happy life I would lead. :D

I'm glad that I have no neighbors with ANY livestock. The most I've ever ended up with is a Peacock and some Guineas, and they stayed here.

Caustic Burno":2ch4rsu6 said:
Crowderfarms":2ch4rsu6 said:
I'm glad that I have no neighbors with ANY livestock. The most I've ever ended up with is a Peacock and some Guineas, and they stayed here.

Why city ordinance? ;-)
Boy, get back in your corner.You're the one they interviewed at the B&B from New Joysey. :roll:Dont make me get bad with you on here! :lol:

denoginnizer":15nzvdnj said:
stocky":15nzvdnj said:
Could you elaborate more on the right half / left half thing? Do you start in the middle? I am confused.

denoginnizer
The way I learned it was you face the property from the road the fence on your left boundary the neighbor took care of the fence on the right boundary you take care of. And it goes down the line. So what about the back fence? Thats somebodys right hand property boundary.

dj":s4q1vh82 said:
denoginnizer":s4q1vh82 said:
stocky":s4q1vh82 said:

denoginnizer
The way I learned it was you face the property from the road the fence on your left boundary the neighbor took care of the fence on the right boundary you take care of. And it goes down the line. So what about the back fence? Thats somebodys right hand property boundary.

The way it works in MO is you stand in the middle of the fenceline, right is yours, left is neighbors.

http://www.ssu.missouri.edu/faculty/SMa ... aw_new.htm

dun

Kentucky has the same rule.. Standing at the middle of the fence on your side of the line, everything to the right is your responsibility.. Legally anyway..

I share a line with a guy who probably has no interest in making sure it's fenced, so he'll probably balk when I bring it up.. We share about 1300' of boundary.. If he's not interested, I'll set it about a foot inside the line and dare him to use it.. If he does try to use it, he'll pay me half the fence cost and $XX.XX a year 'rent' on the 1300 square feet of my property he's using, or he can put up his own fence.. The reason I'd charge rent is because if he's renting it, he'd have a hard time claiming it and getting the boundaries redrawn legally through adverse possession...

Dun posted it right for Missouri. Missouri law says a person is responsible for keeping his own cattle off of another persons property or off the roadways, I believe there are some states that say a person is responsible for keeping others cattle out, different states are different. That is why in MO you have to put the fence in if the neighbor has no cattle. However, the attachment of the costs as a lein to the other persons deed gets you the money back if there are ever any cattle put there

Latest posts