shame on you

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":133ndkmu said:
Angus/Brangus":133ndkmu said:
MikeC":133ndkmu said:
Brute 23":133ndkmu said:
Their has to be a balance. The hay people have to get what they need but the have to remember that the consumer is not getting rich off the cattle either.

The problem is too many people are starting to raise prices to take advantage of the market that is flooded with hobby farmers. They will pay what ever so they can watch the cows and horses walk around on their property not worried about profit or loss.

They out number us (people concerned with profit) so they influence the market more,,, making it harder on us. You see this with alot of products now,,, even with land.

20 yrs ago they would not have gotten away with that becuase the market was controlled by real cattle men who would have told them where to shove that hay so they could sit on it.

Consumer getting rich off cattle?

I have found that real farmers/ranchers will pay more than the hobby folks.

They actually realize how much it costs to put up hay.

The hobby folks that have never baled hay have no clue. :lol:

I agree with Brute that baling your own have gives a person more control over the quality and overall outcome of the process. Having gun to your head by some guy stashing away hay for to make a killing later is not for me.

As to the price of cattle: given the very same animal, why would a "professional" rancher pay more than a hobbyist for that animal? Doesn't make sense. I could see him/her paying more in general, simply because they have a better eye and experience.

Who said the "pro" would pay more for cattle?

My statement was directed towards hay. :roll:

I just noticed that too... :lol:

I read it fast and assumed it pertained the rest of the discussion. :oops: Maybe it was a typo.
fingersx.gif

Brute 23":7nbobnsl said:
MikeC":7nbobnsl said:
Brute 23":7nbobnsl said:
Their has to be a balance. The hay people have to get what they need but the have to remember that the consumer is not getting rich off the cattle either.

The problem is too many people are starting to raise prices to take advantage of the market that is flooded with hobby farmers. They will pay what ever so they can watch the cows and horses walk around on their property not worried about profit or loss.

They out number us (people concerned with profit) so they influence the market more,,, making it harder on us. You see this with alot of products now,,, even with land.

20 yrs ago they would not have gotten away with that becuase the market was controlled by real cattle men who would have told them where to shove that hay so they could sit on it.

Really???

I have yet to see a rancher that will pay inflated prices. If that hay goes for more that $60 a bale they start selling cattle around here.

I agree,,, I would like to know who pays $100 a bale for hay and makes oney off their cattle,,, especially with as many bales as alot of people on here feed.

Never mentioned any $100 hay.

I never said a rancher would pay inflated prices. I said he realizes what it costs to put up hay and will pay more for hay than the hobby guy will. Because he knows more about value than just price.

The hobby guy will shop til he finds some junk hay and winds paying less money but paying more than it is worth.

This has been my experience.

MikeC":2zwa7wyk said:
Brute 23":2zwa7wyk said:
MikeC":2zwa7wyk said:
Brute 23":2zwa7wyk said:

Really???

I have yet to see a rancher that will pay inflated prices. If that hay goes for more that $60 a bale they start selling cattle around here.

I agree,,, I would like to know who pays $100 a bale for hay and makes oney off their cattle,,, especially with as many bales as alot of people on here feed.

Never mentioned any $100 hay.

I never said a rancher would pay inflated prices. I said he realizes what it costs to put up hay and will pay more for hay than the hobby guy will. Because he knows more about value than just price.

The hobby guy will shop til he finds some junk hay and winds paying less money but paying more than it is worth.

This has been my experience.

True... I can see that.

That is no the way it sounded the first time. ;-)

This would naturally lead one to believe you were talking about cattle

The reason I put "Consumer getting rich off cattle?"

Was that Brute had written it in his post and I wanted to question his statement, thus the question mark I added.

Is it a full moon or something? :lol:

I still want to know how the consumer is/is not getting rich off cattle.
:lol:

Brute wrote: Their has to be a balance. The hay people have to get what they need but the have to remember that the consumer is not getting rich off the cattle either.

Comprende?

MikeC":18a5uqu0 said:
This would naturally lead one to believe you were talking about cattle

The reason I put "Consumer getting rich off cattle?"

Was that Brute had written it in his post and I wanted to question his statement, thus the question mark I added.

Is it a full moon or something? :lol:

I still want to know how the consumer is getting rich off cattle.
:lol:

You mis-read it.. try again.

Brute 23":18a5uqu0 said:

Brute 23":35r8m5se said:
I caught you Mike... already had it quoted before you could change it. :lol:

Doesn't matter. However it is written it still begs the question:

Earl Thigpen":3cutmvjh said:
We've got lots of hay this year but its probably not going to be worth a flip because of all the rain. I finally got into the field last week to haul out what I baled three weeks ago. Had four bales sitting in water that really smelled to high heaven. The rest of it was wet but not standing in water.

Good luck on finding hay.

Earl,
We've had lots of rain that's for sure, but good drainage and a hayfield on a little higher ground don't fall victim to flooding. I got caught back in May with hay on the ground and then the rains came. Many days straight with no drying. I ended up burning that hay. The first time I ever set fire to hay in windrows. But it was in a low place, just a small part of the total hayfields which are for the most part high and with good drainage. We put fertilizer out in small doses, instead of hitting it with 400-500 lbs. per acre and then the rain washing it all away. The smaller doses at 2 week intervals keeps the hay fertilized and eliviates the "drenching rains washing all the nutrients away" like so many are harping about Texas Hay. I know a lot of hay farmers who are getting away from the once per crop fertilizer application plan. Me for sure. :)
Good luck on finding hay.[/quote]
Oh and by the way, plenty of hay out here:
http://www.bid4hay.com/aff.php?aff=776

Angus/Brangus":3k488zuh said:
VZCR":3k488zuh said:
Earl Thigpen":3k488zuh said:
We've got lots of hay this year but its probably not going to be worth a flip because of all the rain. I finally got into the field last week to haul out what I baled three weeks ago. Had four bales sitting in water that really smelled to high heaven. The rest of it was wet but not standing in water.

Earl,
We've had lots of rain that's for sure, but good drainage and a hayfield on a little higher ground don't fall victim to flooding. I got caught back in May with hay on the ground and then the rains came. Many days straight with no drying. I ended up burning that hay. The first time I ever set fire to hay in windrows. But it was in a low place, just a small part of the total hayfields which are for the most part high and with good drainage. We put fertilizer out in small doses, instead of hitting it with 400-500 lbs. per acre and then the rain washing it all away. The smaller doses at 2 week intervals keeps the hay fertilized and eliviates the "drenching rains washing all the nutrients away" like so many are harping about Texas Hay. I know a lot of hay farmers who are getting away from the once per crop fertilizer application plan. Me for sure. :)
Oh and by the way, plenty of hay out here:
http://www.bid4hay.com/aff.php?aff=776
VZCR, that was a great deal on the hay. We have a lot of cheap hay this way as well. A relative of ours just sold several round bales of Coastal at $30 each. I think the original poster of this thread was hoping to make a fair deal close to her place to avoid shipping costs.[/quote]

At these low prices, someone could afford to ship the hay and still be paying $60 per roll total shipping and all. :lol:

It's common sense that everything goes up in price eventually, I think it has just caught everyone off guard how fast things have gone up. Who's to blame? First I'd start with the man living in the White House, but I'm not going the political route. The price of corn has skyrocketed in the past year to levels never seen before and I'm afraid that it isn't coming down anytime soon. High corn and high crude oil prices lead to higher costs for fuel. Hay as a commodity hasn't really gone up, but the costs to fertilize, cut, and harvest hay has increased dramatically and the producer should be able to make a profit just like everyone else. The high price of fuel is the culprit, our country is so large that almost everything at one time or other has to be transported and that will add to it's consumer cost. The commodity market is always in flux, it wasn't too many years ago beef was selling for $ .82 and last year I think we got around $1.25. For a while there we were really doing very well, but now the price of feed has caught up. Ethanol is good for the environment, good for the farmer, but isn't going to last. I've already heard talk of ethanol's decline and demise in less than ten years. As producers we are going to have to tough it out. Celebrate the highs and grovel through the lows. Isn't capitalism grand! :D

Latest posts