Sexed semen

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hi,
I know this has been talked in the past but any "fresh" news about it ??

I am buying several straws to tried them at the lab (IVF embryos), they will be down here in one month so I will tell you exactly our results cow by cow.

Any info is welcome.

Thanks
Lorenzo

I already bought them, 60 straws. 40 of Holstein and 20 of jersey. I am a little concern about their performance with the oocites but this is something than sooner or later we will get into.

I tried a couple of them last year but with bad results. This year I changed bulls and producer.

L

I heard somewhere that the conception rates of sexed semen were in the 20% range. Not worth the money in my opinion.
Good luck to ya.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I already bought them, 60 straws. 40 of Holstein and 20 of jersey. I am a little concern about their performance with the oocites but this is something than sooner or later we will get into.

I tried a couple of them last year but with bad results. This year I changed bulls and producer.

Our IVF experiments with sexed semen haven't yielded as good of results as the nonsexed. I think that you could really move forward with it if you can fine tune your IVF protocol to accomodate the sexed semen.

Beef11":b6j8p1ty said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our IVF experiments with sexed semen haven't yielded as good of results as the nonsexed. I think that you could really move forward with it if you can fine tune your IVF protocol to accomodate the sexed semen.

What protocol do they recommend for using this stuff? I had heard it works best on heifers. Does anybody know the reason why?

What protocol do they recommend for using this stuff? I had heard it works best on heifers. Does anybody know the reason why?

The reason i've been given for using it on heifers is that the uterus is smaller and the low concentration of viable sperm cells seems to have a tougher time finding the egg in larger areas.

The IVF protocol is a completely different animal, full of lab jargon.

Beef11":1mg0xr5h said:
The reason i've been given for using it on heifers is that the uterus is smaller and the low concentration of viable sperm cells seems to have a tougher time finding the egg in larger areas.

Since fertilization doesn;t take place in the uterus what difference does that make?

dun

dun":18ger6se said:
Beef11":18ger6se said:

Since fertilization doesn;t take place in the uterus what difference does that make?

dun

Dun

Why you have to be like that?

Maybe he has "special" cows? You dont know? :roll:

MD

redfornow":f4eb9sso said:
dun":f4eb9sso said:
Beef11":f4eb9sso said:

dun

Dun

Why you have to be like that?

Maybe he has "special" cows? You dont know? :roll:

MD

Claimign that the size of the uterus is the problem is like the vet using one of the standard BS reasons for stuff when they don;t really know what the problem is.

dun

I think the reason is that with virgin heifers there is less cance of an infection caused by the previous calving and also less chance for sexually transmitted diseases and therefore should in theory be more likely to sustain a conception and pregnancy.

Hope this makes sense

certherfbeef":3osn2i5v said:
I heard somewhere that the conception rates of sexed semen were in the 20% range. Not worth the money in my opinion.
Good luck to ya.
i talked to one guy that used it and said he got about what the lab claimed.

70% of normal conception.

70% of 70% = 49%

Thanks everyone for the answers.
Heifers are good for embryo transfer because their pregnacy rate is very good (obviously if their corporal condition is ok), the only problem and I am not so sure there is such a problem, is that IVF embryos sometimes are a little bigger and maybe a big adult cow will perform better when that calf is born.

I am paying the sexed straws between 70 and 77 dollars each.
In tha lab I can fertilze several cows at the same time with one single straw so that is an advantage when using expensive semen but as the pregnacy rate of tha sexed semen is lower is difficult to know what will happen.

Nothing as a first hand experience test in the real world so I will give you all the data after the test.

After the insemination with normal semen I am having 40% of viable IVF embryos so lets see what % I will achieve with the sexed one.....

Right now I am in the middle of the "season" and thanks God I am fully booked but I think I will be able to do the testing around the 20th of december.

Lorenzo

Proverbs 12:10":1gbmi3kr said:
I have never bought or used sexed semen. What is the cost increase for any given bull to go sexed vs. standard?

i am pretty sure it was 3X the regular price. $60 if i remember right.

dun

If the semen is deposited in the body of the uterus or a uterine horn the larger the area the tougher it is for sperm to find its way and many more are lost in a larger space than a smaller one. This is the thinking right now, it might turn out to be flawed. If i was a sperm i would tell you for sure.

Aero - when was that ad dated?? I was told the sexed semen had been pulled (as of mid August) - maybe just Genex pulled it??? Heard that conception was as low as 10% in the "field" and so they pulled it until they could get better results. Sure wouldn't want to spend over twice as much for semen & get even as much as 40% conception. EEKS - that would mess up a 45-60 day calving season.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":27wl732v said:
Aero - when was that ad dated?? I was told the sexed semen had been pulled (as of mid August) - maybe just Genex pulled it??? Heard that conception was as low as 10% in the "field" and so they pulled it until they could get better results. Sure wouldn't want to spend over twice as much for semen & get even as much as 40% conception. EEKS - that would mess up a 45-60 day calving season.

Nov 22, 2006 http://www.anguselist.com/

Latest posts