N Semen Tank Service Cost ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve said:
Just got a 2020 update that the annual tank refill service will now be $400. Any suggestions other than using someone else's tank?

That is outrageous. I get mine serviced 4 times a year at $30 a service or $120.00 per year. Wow!

That is ridiculous. I take mine to either Genex is Strafford, Mo or go to a welding supply place that has LN. Cost me $36 and I fill it twice a year.

If you have a welding supply place not too far away, check with them.

Stocker Steve said:
Just got a 2020 update that the annual tank refill service will now be $400. Any suggestions other than using someone else's tank?

Don't use someone else's tank. Neighbor used ours and lost everything when tank was missed on fill schedule. If it isn't worth the money, you should ask yourself if it is worth it at all.

Genex jumped their N service prices up two years ago. Now Select Sires is doing the same thing. I know they have both had alot of financial issues due to the small dairy downturn, dumb moves on sexed semen, and the new mega dairies doing their own thing. Both were running operating losses and doing mergers. The good old boys running Midwest coops are in way over their heads dealing with international competition and sorting technology investments.

I have thought about exiting AI. Would just need to sell some semen... Maybe $3000 retail. What is the going price on used semen?

Stocker Steve said:
Genex jumped their N service prices up two years ago. Now Select Sires is doing the same thing. I know they have both had alot of financial issues due to the small dairy downturn, dumb moves on sexed semen, and the new mega dairies doing their own thing. Both were running operating losses and doing mergers. The good old boys running Midwest coops are in way over their heads dealing with international competition and sorting technology investments.

I have thought about exiting AI. Would just need to sell some semen... Maybe $3000 retail. What is the going price on used semen?

I see a lot of semen consigned to sales. If it is rare, it can be very expensive.

Stocker Steve said:
Like alot of guys I have a surplus of not rare semen. What does that resell for per unit?

It ain't worth much. Remember, lots of folks shy away from semen that has been "handled" because of the fear of it being viable. If it is not rare, it could be worthless.

Stocker Steve said:
Like alot of guys I have a surplus of not rare semen. What does that resell for per unit?

The only cross cow I own was bred to Special Focus. My breeder charged me $10 for the straw.

Stocker Steve said:

Buy a tank with longer holding compacity? I struck a deal with my breeder when I bought my tank he keeps it at his place and gets filled for free otherwise I do believe was gonna be 120 a year to have filled

I threw away or gave away my straws of semen and for several years I used my N tank for freeze branding. At that time, it cost less than dry ice. But now it's way expensive and I've gone back to dry ice. Local welding place charged close to $80 to fill my tank 2 years ago. I haven't been back. My N tank wasn't big. The dry ice makes nicer brands.

My guy charges 35$ every 3 months. He comes to the house to do it on a schedule. I think that's very reasonable. My tank is rated for 6 months, but the piece of mind is worth it

Wow! Coba is charging me $60 per fill up and I have to meet them. Supposed to be every 12 weeks but the timing is very inconsistent. It can vary by 3 weeks either way. Which is fine for my holding time but, why should I pay $60 after just 9 weeks since the last one? Going to have to look for other options.

I checked with the local welding supply.....One of the places my Select Sires guy refills his big tank...It has been several years now so I don't remember the price they gave me....but it was big bucks....the look on the guys face was priceless when I told him no thanks....I will just stay with Select Sires....

Latest posts