Semen not freezing well?

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Why do we hear that bulls semen isn't freezing well? Obvious answer is, it just isn't. But why? What causes it?

If a bull is having a difficult time freezing, should that be an alarm not to use him if you're able to obtain some good straws?

NEFarmwife":7y16sedh said:
Why do we hear that bulls semen isn't freezing well? Obvious answer is, it just isn't. But why? What causes it?

If a bull is having a difficult time freezing, should that be an alarm not to use him if you're able to obtain some good straws?
Every bull ever born will not produce semen that will withstand the freezing process.

That being said if he doesn't freeze well right away or first time trying isn't a death sentence to him ever producing a good frozen straw.

I have heard this too. It always makes you apprehensive when you have a cane of semen that you are not getting good conceptions from. I think good quality semen that is properly handle has a big role to play in conception rate.

Till-Hill":1fjop8i0 said:
NEFarmwife":1fjop8i0 said:

Every bull ever born will not produce semen that will withstand the freezing process.

That being said if he doesn't freeze well right away or first time trying isn't a death sentence to him ever producing a good frozen straw.

How much can you say about the quality control process at the primary semen collection facilities? I assume they pull a straw on a routine basis and check the spermatozoa for morphology, motility and viability.

Till-Hill":qsnzh5r6 said:
NEFarmwife":qsnzh5r6 said:

I hear of it happening and that's why you can't obtain semen on him. I just wondered if that meant his fertility wasn't good? You have bulls at some of these big stud places that have trouble collecting for that reason. I guess "collecting" isn't the problem, it is the freezing.

Bright Raven":e25tp7ox said:
Till-Hill":e25tp7ox said:
NEFarmwife":e25tp7ox said:

How much can you say about the quality control process at the primary semen collection facilities? I assume they pull a straw on a routine basis and check the spermatozoa for morphology, motility and viability.
I have never been to an AI stud so I can't answer that! Have made plans lots of times to go and have not!

There was a really good angus bull locally who's semen just would not survive freezing rethawing at fertile rates. They could never work out why because he was a fertile bull with really good semen. They tried different times of year and different diets. Nothing worked. Other bulls have not frozen/thawed one time but next time all good.

Till-Hill":7hpurvag said:
Bright Raven":7hpurvag said:
Till-Hill":7hpurvag said:

I have never been to an AI stud so I can't answer that! Have made plans lots of times to go and have not!

I have, lots! I used to take my college classes there on a field trip each semester. Of course, it was only one facility. The QC is top notch, and they have to thaw so many straws in a collection and check if it is good. Unfortunately, there is no way to check conception rates on that semen, before it leaves the collection facility. Genex has a great tracking system of preg rates for different bulls, and it is accurate.
We had semen on a well known simmental bull, that had very pour conception (no straws resulted in conception, and after 8 used we gave up). We contacted the collection facility, they replaced it with 5 more (we had to return the two unused). I used 3 of those 5, still no conceptions. I have the remaining two straws in my tank and refuse to take a chance on them. Talking with others, they had very similar results.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1mg1rg09 said:
Till-Hill":1mg1rg09 said:
Bright Raven":1mg1rg09 said:

I have, lots! I used to take my college classes there on a field trip each semester. Of course, it was only one facility. The QC is top notch, and they have to thaw so many straws in a collection and check if it is good. Unfortunately, there is no way to check conception rates on that semen, before it leaves the collection facility. Genex has a great tracking system of preg rates for different bulls, and it is accurate.
We had semen on a well known simmental bull, that had very pour conception (no straws resulted in conception, and after 8 used we gave up). We contacted the collection facility, they replaced it with 5 more (we had to return the two unused). I used 3 of those 5, still no conceptions. I have the remaining two straws in my tank and refuse to take a chance on them. Talking with others, they had very similar results.
Let me guess, triple c Singletary?!

NEFarmwife":1oa287mc said:

When I was looking at buying semen on a popular Angus bull that was on back order, I called the owners and was told that the reason he wasn't collecting well was that he had water droplets in his semen. Not sure if this is common or not?

I have a bull that won't freeze. Visiting with a person who is very knowledgeable in the field, he mentioned that the extender is pretty much a standardized formula and sometimes it requires the lab tweaking the formula a bit to be successful. He also said that labs aren't willing to do that anymore.

Chocolate Cow2":1vpb9xf0 said:
I have a bull that won't freeze. Visiting with a person who is very knowledgeable in the field, he mentioned that the extender is pretty much a standardized formula and sometimes it requires the lab tweaking the formula a bit to be successful. He also said that labs aren't willing to do that anymore.

That is interesting as i have found semen from the 70s and 80s rarely if ever misses. Modern stuff can be up and down and all around.

Chocolate Cow2":112x7yut said:
Anyone know what is used for the extender?

Latest posts