Sexed semen

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Got a flyer yesterday from Select Sires concerning sexed semen. The only brreds they offer are appparantly Holstein, Jersey and Brown Swiss. Cost runs from $32 to $60 a unit with most being $50. There claim is 90% purity and 70-75% the conception rate of conventional semen

dun

So if the standard conception rate is 80% (VERY high for dairy) - than you are looking at more like 56% - 60% conception - yikes!!! Now you are looking at added price plus losing money on repeats.
Hopefully, they will have better figures than that soon.
My guy can collect beef/dairy semen & sex it now for $1/straw (?? close) and I know he was quoting much better conception than that - but only about 70-80%? heifers.

Is the lower conception rates on both "heifer" and "bull" semen? I wonder if the reduction in conception rates is from decresed survivability of the semen due to the added processing or if it has anything to do with one sex or the other having and advantage at certain unterine ph levels or time of ovulation and by removing one sex the semen is more senitive to environment and ovulation time?

Sure is allot posts that have something to do with sex lately! :shock: :lol: :lol:

If you where to use the sexed semen for embryo flushing I can see the cost being relevent. I think thats what they are aiming at, buy 3 straws at $150-200 is ok when your getting 8-6 good embryos that you know will be either male or female, no quess work. ;-)

from what i've heard they suggest not using it for flushing even though it seems to be at the forefront of uses for it. I also haven't ran into a sexed semen company that is suggesting use on cows. Its all been recomended for heifers. I haven't been following this lately but i'm very interested.

Since the sexed semen market is pretty much at this time directed at the dairy industry, heifers would have a btter concpetion rate to AI then cows that are stressed from milking and are eating a hotter ration. That's theo nly thing that make any sense to me.

dun

Beefy":r2ii5upp said:
how about sex and temperament sorted semen?
Probably have to sort the eggs to have any impact on temperament. I think the bad dispositions are a maternal trait.

Texan":dhkbhh97 said:
Beefy":dhkbhh97 said:
Probably have to sort the eggs to have any impact on temperament. I think the bad dispositions are a maternal trait.

Women. Can't live with them and can't live without them. :lol:

MikeC":26rom5ds said:
Texan":26rom5ds said:
Beefy":26rom5ds said:

Women. Can't live with them and can't live without them. :lol:

that does seem to be the case.

Latest posts