Sexed Semen Results

Help Support CattleToday:

ebrown512

Reaction score
Just passing on info for anyone that wants it....Flushed a cow last week using sexed semen and received 3 grade 1's out of 8 total the other 5 were not fertile. Same cow last year did 7 of 8.

abs global on a RA bull. If I can get a couple of heifers out of the 3 embyos, then I quess it's about the same as a normal flush....I know it's not recommended for flushing because you can end up with infertile eggs....just wanted to try. My guess is the results will improve as people figure out how to deal with the sexed semen.

How many straws did you use? How many breedings? Just curious, I got 18 eggs on a flush the other day and they were all non-fertile.

I was sick myself. We knew the sex semen was a risk, but we wanted to give it a chance and use a proven donor.

The Angus semen I used was $80 for the sexed vs. $30 for the regular. I have had good results when using it to just breed.

Lim-flex":1we0n0p9 said:
The Angus semen I used was $80 for the sexed vs. $30 for the regular. I have had good results when using it to just breed.
What have your percentages been for the sexed semen I assume you are wanting heifers. How many bulls out of this semen?

Jeff

Because of the process to seperate the semen, is the moltity and viability in sexed semen damaged or less then a regular straw of semen? I'm also under the impression there will be less sperm in the straw because on gender is remove. So my second question is the volumn of the straw the same while the sperm count is about half? This is not meant to be a hijack.

Thanks,
Alan

In my case the semen was twice the price (50 vs 25). I didn't personelly perform A. I. but the A. I. tech used 4 straws in two applications. They were "french straws". (less semen than the standard size)

My understanding, which is very limited, is that viability and mobility are some of the issues with sexed semen. Apparently, you can't solve the problem by just using more semen.The sexing is about 95% accurate.

I will do another donor in about a month that did 10 for 10 last month.

My guess is the protocol and quality of semen will eventually get better and the flush results will reflect that.

I'll post the results on the second flush when I have them.