Several questions about my year old heifer.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello again....It's been about a year since I've been on this forum. I posted about this time last year after my hubby surprised me with a 3 week old calf for bottle feeding (our first, and still only, cow ever). I needed help with all the basics that come with bottle raising a calf. Well...many thanks to all those that helped me then, she is now a year old (actually about 15 months) and we have a whole new set of questions.

All along I have wondered about what breed she is. We were told Angus by the farmer my hubby got her from. Some of this group believed that, others didn't (when I posted her baby pictures last year). I have recently been doing some online searching and I now know she is not Angus nor Brangus although she looks exactly like either one EXCEPT she has cute little horns sticking out the sides of her temples. Any thoughts now as to what kind she is? She has the neck flap, the ears to the side, the blackish color.......

Up til three weeks ago she was kept in our paddock with our horses and our old burro (she bonded with the burro early on). BUT...she wouldn't be quiet! She was only getting fed alfalfa hay (all that's available here) three times a day (and not too much since we didn't want the horses overeating). We only have one acre in the county part of our city. One acre is too close to the animal hating neighbor for a noisey cow (plus hubby hates her moooing). I seperated her and the burro (don't care if the old burro overeats since she's getting to the end of her life). The intent was to fatten her up for the freezer. I free feed the alfalfa hay now and give her two good size scoops of cob/grains two to three times a day. In regards to this thought, I wanted to know how much I should be giving to benefit the meat production and when is too old for good meat quality? She is small....I'll have to measure her height for sure. I was told that being a bottle baby, a heifer, and hay fed that her growth would be much slower than most people would experience. So far she seems like a dwarf cow...shoulders maybe around 40" or so...give or take. I do not know how big she should be for her age and breed (which is unknown). She does have what seems to me like an overly round belly.

My more recent thought is that since the increased feed has quieted her quite a bit (and is making her grow faster), I've thought about breeding her and using the babe for our freezer. But, I know nothing of this........I'd have to go AI since I don't think I'd have access to a bull (and not sure about her size). Not sure what AI is going to cost for one animal. Was told one of our local vets does it but I haven't called to get a cost. I remeber seeing straws listed last year that seemed reasonably priced...not sure how many I will need. I don't know how long they are pregnant. I am assuming that she will pretty much calve easily on her own (but we do have a vet if she doesn't). I don't know much about weaning a meat baby...when or how to do it, but I guess I have time to figure that out. I don't imagine the bulls breed makes too much difference other than to maybe find a smaller breed to make it easier on her. When should I consider breeding her? She seems like just a baby still to me. Some of the breed info I was reading said breeding at 15 months...I just don't know that she'd be ready to handle that. She still crys to me when I go out in the yard and will stand for hours as I scratch her head and tug on her ears and horns. I've tried getting her used to me touching her all over. I pull on her tail, rub her undertummy and pull on her teats. She's good with me, but doesn't trust my husband (could have something to do with him torturing her by pinning her down and straddling her back when she was younger (too tall for that now). Also he likes to chase her when she starts mooooing.

Soooo.....pros/cons.....am I getting in way over my head for a 1st time single cow owner? I don't know if she even knows she's a cow. Should I just resign to butchering her? I don't want to continue to feed her forever without putting her to good use.

Thanks for bearing with me here and thanks in advance for any knowledge and experience you have to share...I know most everyone on this list has larger herds and my single cow questions seems pretty trivial. Thanks....Traca

Increase her corn ration and when she has a nice roll of fat near the base of her tail have someone come out there and butcher her in the pen. You can spoil the next calf you get as well, should be very good meat.

I think it would be safer for you to stick with the original plan and butcher her... With your very little knowledge of cattle you would be getting in over your head to breed her. If you want another cow, go buy another calf to raise...

I think it would be safer for you to stick with the original plan and butcher her"...quote said:
Actually...HER original plan was not necessarily to butcher...she was just a spur of the moment gift from my husband....he knew I'd been looking for some animal to bottle feed and she served that purpose. The intent three weeks ago when I seperated her was to butcher. She's a good girl other than the constant mooing when she wants attention/food/water (I don't have her water on automatic so I have to fill it three times a day...if I'm late, she lets me know!)...I could even get past the obvious cow smell in the yard...but the mooing just isn't an option.

I'm interested in researching the breeding option even if it is one I decide not to go with. I'm jus not sure where to start. I think my next step is to research the heat cycles so I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input....Traca

sounds like you have allready decided not to part with your baby, and you are wanting someone to help justify it. I say eat her and try another calf.

Her mooing might mean shes lookin for a man(bull). They can drive you crazy with that mess.Be careful getting around her if shes doing that alot, she might get a little rough. My sweet baby that I bottle raised tried to mount me when she was "lookin for love". I sent her to the bull ASAP. Fixed her right up. I just hadnt thought about her being old enough for all that before then.
I think bottle babies make it hard to do the economically right thing. You get attached no matter how hard you try not too.

Yes....part of me is reluctant to part with my "baby" but at the same time, I'm not too overally attached....I'm just researching the cost difference between having had raised a 'pet' cow to slaughter then next year starting over VS using her as the means to next years baby....I'm not even sure what calves are going for around here, but I don't think they are cheap (she traveled cross country in the back of a pickup)...what's it going to cost me to KEEP my "baby" and get another from her??????? And of course, what other things do I need to consider with keeping/breeding her vs butcher and a new one in the spring..........Well...at least I have fun researching my options! :) Thanks....Traca

Butcher her and next year get a feeder calf so all the hard part is already done and youre not starting completely over.

Latest posts