Semen Tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
I want to start looking for a semen tank so I have more flexibility with buying and storing semen. But I have no idea on where to start, what to look for and what the price ranges for good tanks are? Are used tanks any good? What about the liquid nitrogen? Thanks.

For starters you might contact Macon. They have sememn tanks listed on the CT main site

Buy new, no sense in buying used when you are planning to store long-term as there is a higher risk of failure. Accelerated usually has a deal on them in the spring, happy with mine. I have them service the tank as well. You still have to keep an eye on the levels, but it's easier to have them just show up than relying on remembering to call when needed. I think mine was around $500, costs about $42 for a fill. Keep it in a place up off the floor in a relatively temperature-controlled area like a heated shop.

Ive got a MVE 20/20 works great i wish i would have gotten the 34/18 i like the bigger neck opening it has a 3 1/2 inch where the 20/20 has a 2 inch. The 20/20 will hold 540 straws where the 34/18 will hold 2100 cost is about 200 more on the 34/18 i never thought i would have more than 54 racks but when you have a straw here and there left it dont take long to fill up a tank. and that may depend on if you move it around alot the 34/18 will be heavier.

If I were to buy used what would be the things to look for to make sure that I am not buying a faulty tank?

1) Age. Most aren't warranted past 5-10 years 2) how was it handled? Was it in a climate-controlled area up off the ground, out in a shed, or in the back of a pickup? 3) if it has nitrogen in it, is there frost around the neck? Unfortunately most cracks you can't see, and you won't know if it will hold nitrogen until you fill it and let it sit. In my opinion, not worth the trouble. When you consider what you invest in semen and shipping, it only takes one bad tank to blow a lot of money. If you get a tank, used or new, check it often as even new tanks can fail.

I'm still using my two original tanks that are both ten plus years old and I've had two newer ones that have failed since then so I guess I'd have to tell you that gently used in good condition may be the way to go.
Try to get one that already has nitrogen in it. Go look at it and get an exact measurement of the nitrogen level and then go back a week later and measure again and you'll be able to see if it's using a bunch of nitrogen or not.
Id be willing to bet that with the milk prices and the drought there would be alot of decent dairy equipment of all types available in Wisconsin within the next year or so.

I myself am looking at some used semen tanks. I was told to contact my ABS rep, but i don't know how.
They said that they send alot of tanks to the west in shipping semen. When they get them back they sell them, or so i have been told.
If anyone knows how to get in touch with an ABS rep please share.

butjn9":234jumgr said:
I myself am looking at some used semen tanks. I was told to contact my ABS rep, but i don't know how.
They said that they send alot of tanks to the west in shipping semen. When they get them back they sell them, or so i have been told.
If anyone knows how to get in touch with an ABS rep please share.
Easiest way to contact them is by phone 608.846.3721 or e-mail [email protected] and ask them for the rep in your area

I'm not trying to argue or disagree with anyone but my tank is a 1979 model and still holds good, "they don't make em like they used to" as the old timers tell me. If I found a used tank, get it filled and check it before you ever put semen in it! Simple as that! If your worried after that buy an insurance policy for the semen in it and go on, unless your gonna buy irreplaceable semen, that is .

Latest posts