semen tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Arnold Ziffle":2ykcc7no said:
Wow! Just looked at the prices for the Beefmaster bulls listed at sementank.com --- not a one of them is less than $100/straw. Sure wouldn't want to get a tank full of those guys and then have a bad leak!

Well said Arnold ..why would anyone want to take a chance on a used tank.

Brangus Chick":3vq8qb8o said:
Anyone knows of a used semen tank for sale.
I would NOT buy a 'used' semen tank. That's like buying a 'used' truck tire - you don't know when it is going to spring a leak!

Aaron":1i2x8wr7 said:
It is worth it...just make sure you don't buy too much and then lose it. Our nitrogen supplier missed us during his last fill-up rounds and we just realized yesterday that our tank went dry. $2500 down the drain. Worst thing is that some of the semen was from bulls that were quite prominent in the Hereford breed, but are no longer around.
I believe I would have a little discussion with the Nitrogen supplier!! :shock: " Excuse Me, Mr. Supplier - Do you understand the words I am speaking to you?" - - Hello?

We've got the MVE 20 for $499 with free shipping. It holds up to 720 straws for 135 days between refills.

Pm me and give me your number me and my brother want to see what it looks like if you got a pic and how old it is, all of that information.

Beefy, I've never AI'd at all but toyed with the idea quite a bit a few years ago and 5502 was one that really interested me, even at his price (and color :lol: ). Seems to be the real deal! Have you used him or any of his sons? Heard anything from folks in your neck of the woods that have used him?

DOC HARRIS":344qmhbw said:
Aaron":344qmhbw said:
It is worth it...just make sure you don't buy too much and then lose it. Our nitrogen supplier missed us during his last fill-up rounds and we just realized yesterday that our tank went dry. $2500 down the drain. Worst thing is that some of the semen was from bulls that were quite prominent in the Hereford breed, but are no longer around.
I believe I would have a little discussion with the Nitrogen supplier!! :shock: " Excuse Me, Mr. Supplier - Do you understand the words I am speaking to you?" - - Hello?

Doc, our supplier is a friend of ours and his daughter was in a bad car accident when he was supposed to deliver the nitrogen. Even though we were concerned for his daughter, it is my belief that he should have either had his oldest boy or someone else deliver nitrogen, in his place. He doesn't have insurance, but said he was terribly sorry and would go good for the cost of some of the semen (I also want the bill for the year written off). He is probably scared shitless right now, as the neighbours had an inch left in theirs when he filled it up a couple days ago. We wouldn't think of suing him, but our neighbours probably would if they had the chance!

Aaron":1mm9qn7y said:
DOC HARRIS":1mm9qn7y said:
Aaron":1mm9qn7y said:

Doc, our supplier is a friend of ours and his daughter was in a bad car accident when he was supposed to deliver the nitrogen. Even though we were concerned for his daughter, it is my belief that he should have either had his oldest boy or someone else deliver nitrogen, in his place. He doesn't have insurance, but said he was terribly sorry and would go good for the cost of some of the semen (I also want the bill for the year written off). He is probably scared shitless right now, as the neighbours had an inch left in theirs when he filled it up a couple days ago. We wouldn't think of suing him, but our neighbours probably would if they had the chance!
Aaron - Oh Boy - that is a tough proposition, isn't it? However, even though I understand his lapse of being able to focus on the immediate problems at hand with his personal problems - nevertheless he has a hard lesson to learn about BUSINESS! I guess you have to work out everything to the best advantage for everyone involved. And - it might be a blessing in disguise. There seems to be some good come from every so-called disaster!. Perhaps you could put out some feelers to the Hereford Association and/or Hereford Breeders concerning the irreplaceable semen you lost - or perhaps some of those bull's offspring would be available. There is almost always a way to go over or around the mountain that looms in front of you - or stay on this side of the mountain and make lemonade out of the lemon fate dealt you! God bless your operation and I am sure you will look back on all this and say, "It was all for the good".

Doc, in some respects, it is a blessing as I realized that some of that semen would probably never be used. So in that respect, we cleaned out the tank of poor bulls. But it's the few 3 or 4 that no longer exist that will be a problem. Some were good bulls in the industry and I never got a chance to try the semen, so I am reluctant to pay to high a price for them as I don't know if they would work in my operation. I was very disappointed to lose my Kilmorlie Steel semen. I purchased the 23 remaining units from Duralta Dispersal sale in Vegreville, Alberta in 2003. Don't know if I will be able to get some of the other partners to sell some of their Steel semen inventory or not. I am stuck with 6-7 certificates for that bull, and no semen, so I will be on the hunt for some.

A number of years ago, to build a larger inventory of units, I contacted a few breeders, looking for semen that was unwanted. I would pay the frieght and (in some cases) a small fee per unit. I obtained a few canes that way and I will be looking to do the same again.

Aaron":1qidizzy said:
Doc, in some respects, it is a blessing as I realized that some of that semen would probably never be used. So in that respect, we cleaned out the tank of poor bulls. But it's the few 3 or 4 that no longer exist that will be a problem. Some were good bulls in the industry and I never got a chance to try the semen, so I am reluctant to pay to high a price for them as I don't know if they would work in my operation. I was very disappointed to lose my Kilmorlie Steel semen. I purchased the 23 remaining units from Duralta Dispersal sale in Vegreville, Alberta in 2003. Don't know if I will be able to get some of the other partners to sell some of their Steel semen inventory or not. I am stuck with 6-7 certificates for that bull, and no semen, so I will be on the hunt for some.

A number of years ago, to build a larger inventory of units, I contacted a few breeders, looking for semen that was unwanted. I would pay the frieght and (in some cases) a small fee per unit. I obtained a few canes that way and I will be looking to do the same again.
Good luck, Aaron!

Arnold Ziffle":1n5zp456 said:
Beefy, I've never AI'd at all but toyed with the idea quite a bit a few years ago and 5502 was one that really interested me, even at his price (and color :lol: ). Seems to be the real deal! Have you used him or any of his sons? Heard anything from folks in your neck of the woods that have used him?

Mr. Arnold,
i havent aied anything yet but if i do i plan on using lbar5502. i take it you like the solid reds then? i prefer red/white faced and dun beefmasters. Another one that i would keep an eye on is Macho Man. also a white face. i would like to get a Lbar son, i'm pretty impressed.

Good morning Beefy. I hope you have great success with AI'ing to 5502. I like the dark red, solid colored Beefmasters and in years past I had a couple that threw real nice calves that were pretty much all colored like their sires and, as I recall, I only got one "pinto" calf. I really don't mind a white faced Beefmaster at all and my earlier reference to 5502's color was more of a tongue in cheek reference to him (thankfully, I might add) not being a "black beefmaster". I think most of this turning of various breeds black, and focusing so much on various color patterns, is silly. But after sitting through a lot of bull auctions and hearing quite a few anecdotal accounts about calf sale results, I have nevertheless determined that if I were to ever use a Beefmaster bull again I wouldn't get one that is really colored up or that passes on a lot of paint, especially since I just sell calves at the weekly commercial auction. I know that sounds like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth. The color thing is really unfortunate but, alas, perception is to a large extent reality these days. :( For example, Desperado (see link below) looks to be a very good bull but these days, considering where and how I sell calves, if I saw a comparable solid colored bull with similar stats I'd sure go for the solid.

Here's another young 5502 son I came across recently that's colored to your tastes I think (solid & white face, cleaner underline than a lot ). I hope you get one like him from your AI effort :) :

http://bullsemenembryotransfer.com/56BM383.html

and here's the kind of paint I try to avoid ( Desperado ):

http://www.beefmasterdirect.com/cattle/ ... 451&id=135

NICE bull. yeah i dont like paints either. the heifers will do fine but the steers are another story.

:?: Stephen, was your last comment directed at Beefy and myself? Were we being gently admonished? :) If we were, I'd just note that sometimes the natural progression of conversation results in folks discussing things that are slightly, or even significantly, different than the original topic. No harm done, to my way of thinking. Have a nice weekend.

I was wondering what Beefmasters you were looking at that had such high priced semen. we get a paint every once in a while. i will keep them if they are good. but mostly the paints are all show cattle anyway.

Latest posts