Semen shipment

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusSenorita

Reaction score
I'm hoping to have my cow AIed by the vet this year rather than take her back to my breeders. It'll be cheaper etc. The only thing is that our vet doesn't have a storage tank. I will be Co Synching my cow so I know exactly when I will breed her. If I have the semen delivered to the vet on the day that we will AI her - will the UPS and Bovine Elite require that the straws be transferred upon delivery or can the tank be returned the next day?

Thanks

The most I've ever bought is three. They always shipped it to my breeder because he didn't use that bull so I'm assuming that they will ship 2 straws.

AngusSenorita":1cmjbfkg said:
The most I've ever bought is three. They always shipped it to my breeder because he didn't use that bull so I'm assuming that they will ship 2 straws.
So you'll use one and throw one away?

well... either order one or order two and use both.

I've always heard that one straw is just as effective as two straws - but my breeder recommended using 2 straws - one for each horn.

AngusSenorita":1246q1so said:

I've always heard that one straw is just as effective as two straws - but my breeder recommended using 2 straws - one for each horn.
Since you don;t deposit the semen in the horns how does the sperm from the different straws know which one to go in to?
If as a rule it took more then one straw the companys would increase the volume of sperm.
Was your "breeder" by any chance selling you the semen?

dun":rilw0ms0 said:
AngusSenorita":rilw0ms0 said:

Since you don;t deposit the semen in the horns how does the sperm from the different straws know which one to go in to?
If as a rule it took more then one straw the companys would increase the volume of sperm.
Was your "breeder" by any chance selling you the semen?
I'm agreeing with dun on this one. There is far more semen than you need in one straw. I've even heard of people splitting one straw between two cows, but I wouldn't recommend that anymore than using two straws on one cow. I believe most semen companies shoot for 20 million sperm in a standard half cc straw. I use some sexed semen in a quarter cc straw that only contains 2 million sperm and still have good conceptions. The amount of semen is not nearly as important as getting it put in the proper location.

Our vet recommends AI-ing twice 12 hours apart. We have never seen the need to do it that way. We get good conception when we identify the cows in heat.

We have a friend (different vet) who routinely has his AI-ed twice per heat. His conception rate is horrible. Seems like a waste of money to me.

I'm with Dun on that one. Timing is everything. You must know when the cow came in and it is also helpful to know patterns of some cows. We have one cow that we almost never see in heat. A red patch and a teaser bull tells the story on her. She takes first time though.

Farmgirl

I tried and experiment one year of AIing when I saw them standing and again 12 hours later. Used Polled Hereford for the first srvice and a Red Angus for the second. One cow had a baldy calf, the others were all solid. I decided that maybe the experts that run the studs know what they're doing and that the am pm rule works just fine.

Thanks for the advice. I changed the plans. Rather than taking her to the vet I'm taking her to someone who will keep her for a few days and AI her. Less of a hassle

To answer your question about the shipper that the semen comes in: UPS will pick up the shipper in one to two days... The last time I ordered it was picked up in two days. The time before that it was the next day...

I am new at the AI process aswell. Am I correct in saying that the Semen supplier ships the semen to the coustomer in straws sealed in a semen tank. When the coustomer receives the semen tank, is it required to remove the semen straws and put them in the coustomers semen tank, then return the suppliers tank to the supplier. Now where do I get my semen tank filled to preserve the semen until used.

I know this is a long winded question but I really don"t know. Will someone please explain the procedure to me.
~Tom.

kerley":fk710fig said:
I am new at the AI process aswell. Am I correct in saying that the Semen supplier ships the semen to the coustomer in straws sealed in a semen tank. When the coustomer receives the semen tank, is it required to remove the semen straws and put them in the coustomers semen tank, then return the suppliers tank to the supplier. Now where do I get my semen tank filled to preserve the semen until used.

I know this is a long winded question but I really don"t know. Will someone please explain the procedure to me.
~Tom.

That is about it-The semen is usually stored at the facility that collected the bull. They will have shipper containers filled with foam rubber saturated with LN2 dropped to your door, and shipping instructions to return the shipper. Several of the major companies (ABS, Select sires,ect) will have representatives running delivery routes thru most areas. If you are going to get into AI you may want to do a search to find a rep in your area to service your tank. They will come to your place ,keep it full and sell any needed supplies. You can still have semen drop shipped if they don't handle a bull you need to use.

I see Kerley is from Alabama. We recently purchased a place in NW Alabama, could someone help us both out and tell us about who services your tanks. I know about Bama Sire Service are there any others in the Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia zone you could recommend.

:welcome: :wave: To Alabama and C.T. I have never used AI. I have been looking into it. Thank you for telling me about Bama Sire Service. Good luck and Happy New Year.
~Tom.

Latest posts