Semen Company Loyalty?

Help Support CattleToday:

bpwagner115

Reaction score
I began A.I.ing last spring and plan to continue in the future. I purchased semen from Accelerated Genetics rep who farms around the area and he was kind enough to store the extra 15 straws I have left over from last breeding season to this season. I guess I am wondering if it's against the "unwritten rules" to purchase semen from another company other than Accelerated Genetics? We are talking like maximum of only 30-40 straws here so it's not like we are huge volume buyers...i get that. Is there a way Accelerated could get me semen from another stud not owned by them? Just looking for suggestions, I obviously don't want to upset this guy because he has helped me out.

He's not likely to store your straws you bought from someone else. Get your own tank and open up doors.

bpwagner115":2uxs9sth said:
I began A.I.ing last spring and plan to continue in the future. I purchased semen from Accelerated Genetics rep who farms around the area and he was kind enough to store the extra 15 straws I have left over from last breeding season to this season. I guess I am wondering if it's against the "unwritten rules" to purchase semen from another company other than Accelerated Genetics? We are talking like maximum of only 30-40 straws here so it's not like we are huge volume buyers...i get that. Is there a way Accelerated could get me semen from another stud not owned by them? Just looking for suggestions, I obviously don't want to upset this guy because he has helped me out.

It wouldn't hurt to just ask him. Tell him you are interested in using bull X and can he get it, because you want to continue to do business with him.

hooknline":dk5vtcoa said:
He's not likely to store your straws you bought from someone else. Get your own tank and open up doors.

I actually have my own tank, he just is storing it through the off-season so I don't have to pay for Nitrogen re-fills.

Some companies reciprocate with others. But, some companies won't allow their breeders to store semen from any other company. So, you need to discuss it with him.
Not sure about your "specific" tank, but I was always told it is not "healthy" for a tank to be dry.

Personally if a customer asks about other companies bulls I'll sit down with them and help them pick a good one and send them to someone within that company that I trust but I won't sell non ABS semen. That being said, I expect customers who buy from other suppliers to be fairly self suficient in meeting their own breeding needs and they only get what they ask me for.Customers who are loyal to me get the best deals and the best service from me. I have one cusomer that has been loyal to me for ten years and he likes the same kind of bulls that I do so I finally just started giving him my leftover semen every year as he breeds about a month after I do. :lol:

id spend the 90 to 120 to keep the tank filled and buy what i wanted dont think id even mention him keeping someone elses product, if hes just selling you semen and not doing your work he should still be glad to sell you whatever he can.

bpwagner115":26kvwabd said:

What breed and bulls from other studs are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking.

What breed and bulls from other studs are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking.[/quote]

Was taking a look at TNT Tanker on the Simmental side for a terminal cross on our angus cows. I went to NLC bull sale last spring and Tanker sons were the real deal.

Also looking at the possibility of Victor 719T on the Hereford side and hopefully getting some replacement females.

bpwagner115":39ckz0is said:

I always figured you danced with the one what brung you! If the guy is taking care of you then you need to be loyal.

Having said that i full recognize that we are become a society of whores and very little loyalty exists anymore.........thank you Wal Mart for showing us the way!

3Way - it's pretty hard to be "loyal" to a stud. They don't always have the right bull/bulls for your program. I buy semen from MANY places - I could NEVER purchase from just one.
TNT Tanker - glad to hear you saw several sons. I only had one this past spring that was nearly perfect phenotype (steer - hvy BW), and now I have another bull calf born in Sept that has everyone looking. Looks like he'll keep his manhood - might make my showstring next year.

TNT Tanker - glad to hear you saw several sons. I only had one this past spring that was nearly perfect phenotype (steer - hvy BW), and now I have another bull calf born in Sept that has everyone looking. Looks like he'll keep his manhood - might make my showstring next year.[/quote]

Yes, for the 2nd year in a row the Tanker Son's really dominated the sale at Christensen's. Unfortunately most of the bulls birthweights were 90+ which has me somewhat concerned....

I have heard from other hereford guys that Victor 719T is pretty good. As far as loyalty goes, I agree it is hard. For example I know one of the guys who works for Select Sires, so I plan to mainly use them but at the same time ABS, GeneX, and Accelerated have some bulls I plan to use as well.

I like 719T, accelerated have KJ Recruit, another hereford I like pretty well. Used Really Windy 4097 from accelerated as well last spring, expecting calves here by him in the next 3 or 4 weeks. Last good Angus bull select had was Scotch Cap, don't have much use for the stuff they've been into for the last 15 years or so.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3pncrjh1 said:
3Way - it's pretty hard to be "loyal" to a stud. They don't always have the right bull/bulls for your program. I buy semen from MANY places - I could NEVER purchase from just one.
TNT Tanker - glad to hear you saw several sons. I only had one this past spring that was nearly perfect phenotype (steer - hvy BW), and now I have another bull calf born in Sept that has everyone looking. Looks like he'll keep his manhood - might make my showstring next year.

I didn't say be loyal to the STUD. I said be loyal to the man. Big difference!

Had a very large account tell me today that they couldn't understand why I wouldn't GIVE them $1500 worth of new towel dispensers so that they could buy the towels from a competitor who undercut my price by $.o6 a case! The world is full of whores and ungrateful [email protected] for one am sick of it!

3way - don't know about your neck of the woods - but around here, our guys can only get you semen from their own company - except places like Cattle Vision. When I order semen for all our NY members - it goes out for bid - I generally end up buying direct from ABS & Genex - and Cattle Vision gets all the rest. Genex is the company that services my tank and he is totally aware of what I do and he is good with that. He appreciates the order I put together for him. They all know that I can't be exclusive with any one of them.
I agree with being loyal when possible, but I won't sacrifice my breeding program over it. It is not an issue with any of our distributors.

cow pollinater":3txsk8mj said:
Personally if a customer asks about other companies bulls I'll sit down with them and help them pick a good one and send them to someone within that company that I trust but I won't sell non ABS semen. That being said, I expect customers who buy from other suppliers to be fairly self sufficient in meeting their own breeding needs and they only get what they ask me for.Customers who are loyal to me get the best deals and the best service from me. I have one customer that has been loyal to me for ten years and he likes the same kind of bulls that I do so I finally just started giving him my leftover semen every year as he breeds about a month after I do. :lol:

Cripes... I wish I was your ten year customer...

Oh, out of curiosity, do you get a nice discount since you work there?

Latest posts