Selling prolapsed cow??

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw a prolapsed cow go through the ring 3 weeks ago that had it all hanging out, she went for $0.17 and weighed in at I think I remember was 980 lbs. So that's $166.60 before they take out all the commission, ect. If she were stitched up she probably would have made canner prices or at least $0.30-$0.40 better, so well worth the little extra effort to stitch IMO.

Well she grew wheels. Prolapse, bad udder and all went with her. Weighed 1485 and brought 52.50.
Fall 1998 cow.

tom4018":1s01b3qx said:
She has a 2 month old calf on her. The cow was already on the cull list due to feet, age and mastitis. Should have culled her last fall but gave her another shot at one more calf. Already giving the calf feed as she has had more mastitis problems again. He stays up here around the barn by mimself away from momma more than with her. He bawls at me when i go feed our other bottle calve and I give him grain by himself, thought about putting him in the lot with the other calve and shipping her. He is not getting much milk from her.
a prolapse that's was two months old? must have been vaginal and dried up like a prune

ALACOWMAN":emd77jpz said:
a prolapse that's was two months old? must have been vaginal and dried up like a prune

One of the neighbor's cows prolapsed a month or two after calving last year while he was in Florida, no exposure to bull. Wife and I sewed her up for him, then jerked the stitches out a few weeks later, she did it again so we stitched her and sent her packing.

ALACOWMAN":3a2aeh5f said:
tom4018":3a2aeh5f said:
She has a 2 month old calf on her. The cow was already on the cull list due to feet, age and mastitis. Should have culled her last fall but gave her another shot at one more calf. Already giving the calf feed as she has had more mastitis problems again. He stays up here around the barn by mimself away from momma more than with her. He bawls at me when i go feed our other bottle calve and I give him grain by himself, thought about putting him in the lot with the other calve and shipping her. He is not getting much milk from her.

She just had the prolapse. I would not let one go that long. My first experience with one doing that, I thought they could prolapse at any time.

tom4018":11nipwtz said:
ALACOWMAN":11nipwtz said:
tom4018":11nipwtz said:

• She just had the prolapse
. I would not let one go that long. My first experience with one doing that, I thought they could prolapse at any time.
I see. yeah a vaginal prolaspes can occur like that. i had two full sisters that did the same thing about a month apart.

Latest posts