Selling prolapsed cow??

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Got our first prolapsed cow which is one we were going to cull anyway once the calf was weaned. We will probably pull the calf and raise it. My question is am I better off getting her sewed up or just sell her for slaughter as is? She is not real bad , yet.

I would sew her up and let here raise the calf, then ship her. I do mine myself, so its not a big deal but you might want the vet to do it.

I would have her sewn up and let her raise the calf. The can catch the same trailer at weaning time.

She should be able to go ahead and raise the calf to weaning time and you will not be tied down to bottle feeding a baby.

If she hasn;t calved yet, stitch her up, when she calves she'll probably be ok. When the calf is weaned, ship her as a weigh/kill cow. If she has calved, if it's minor it may very well go back in by itself and not need stitching. If it's bad enough to sew, I would stitch her, let her wean her calf then ship her as a weigh/kill cow.
We have a cow that prolapsed before calving and minor prolapses for a couple of weeks after calving. She hasn;t popped anymore out for about a week. (I've been referring to her as "Poppin Fresh")

I concur with all the others. If she's calved already, and it can be stitched, let her raise the calf. No need to spend big buck$ on milk replacers and starter feed if momma can do the job.

Katherine

Sounds to me it must be a vaginal prolapse, they don't walk around with the uterine prolapse. Both can be put back and the cow will survive. Trouble is with the Uterus the cow will bleed badly, go into shock and die without immediate help. The vaginal prolapse, can cause problems with a cow calving and uninating. If she calves with a vaginal prolapse, [unless it's extreme] will most of the time shrink down and work it's way back in. Any sign of a cow with even a small vaginal prolapse should go on your must sell list. Nothing but trouble.

I had one a few years ago that had a vaginal prolapse about a week before she calved , got the vet right away and went back in on it's own when she stood up , he checked the calf and it seemed okay , he said once she has the calf it should be ok , if not he could sew it. she was okay for about a month after the calf was born but it started coming out again , I kept pushing it back in about once a week for six or seven weeks then in finally stayed in , when we weaned the calf at about 7 months , we sent her to the auction. I never spent the money to sew her , I figuered she would keep having problems in the future.

Have one now I stitched myself waiting to get her next calf out and weaned before I kill her. Wish I hadn't done that. Shoulda just killed her a couple month back. That said, if she had a calf at her side, I'd stitch her and wean the calf but I would wean as soon as possible!

She has a 2 month old calf on her. The cow was already on the cull list due to feet, age and mastitis. Should have culled her last fall but gave her another shot at one more calf. Already giving the calf feed as she has had more mastitis problems again. He stays up here around the barn by mimself away from momma more than with her. He bawls at me when i go feed our other bottle calve and I give him grain by himself, thought about putting him in the lot with the other calve and shipping her. He is not getting much milk from her.

tom4018":40ta6hsh said:
She has a 2 month old calf on her. The cow was already on the cull list due to feet, age and mastitis. Should have culled her last fall but gave her another shot at one more calf. Already giving the calf feed as she has had more mastitis problems again. He stays up here around the barn by mimself away from momma more than with her. He bawls at me when i go feed our other bottle calve and I give him grain by himself, thought about putting him in the lot with the other calve and shipping her. He is not getting much milk from her.

With the added information, load her up and get her gone ASAP. All she's doing is eating feed that could better be eaten by something productive

dun":3qgfkqzh said:
tom4018":3qgfkqzh said:

With the added information, load her up and get her gone ASAP. All she's doing is eating feed that could better be eaten by something productive

yup, yup, and yup

SDR we will sew up those that prolapse and sell as kills only. We do take a hit. I think the last one was around $.10 loss.

As in this case where the cow is not raising a calf you would still sew her up before you sell her? How much does the vet charge to do this. Never had a prolapse before in 20 years I personally have experienced (knock on wood) so I'm more curious than anything. Adding the vet bill, the recuperating time, the added feed, etc. do you still come oout ahead?

There isn;t any recuperative time. You stick it in and through a stitch. Some give a spinal so it's easier to get it back in and stitch without her going nuts. I don;t think there is a withholding time on that. If it's only a bubble that goes back in when she moves around there really sin;t any need to stitch, only if it's really hanging out.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2bb60rc8 said:
do you stitch her before you sell her?

or do you just sell her as is, prolapse and all? How much of a hit will she take?

I actually plan to take this one I have right to the butcher myself and have her put in burger to avoid a hit. I will probably stitch her again just so she doesn't bump the prolapse and start bleeding. Hindsight . . . wish I'd just done it two months ago when it first happened instead of insisting on waiting out her next calf.

Around here a critter like that would take a heck of a hit, I guess 10-15 $ per hundred is all she would bring. Buyers look for excuses, she would end up in the same boxed beef as the others. If she is otherwise in normal health she will make burger, not good, tasty burger, but stuff for tacos, hamburger helper, stuff like that. Good Luck.

I won't send one to the market with the prolapse hanging out, we stitch them ourself (wife usually gets the honors) and put them in the kill pen. Never noticed any appreciable dock on ours, the burger is just as good as any other worn-out cow in the pen.

Latest posts