Selling hereford crosses at the lynchburg sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030":8cx5el80 said:
Sky as far as the paper work side i was parking the truck while the guy i was with handled that. So im not sure as far as to the county of origin. I did go up on the cat walk and watch them get graded and weighed and i did see that you had to go down to the window to get your ticket. How did yours sell, did they do good for ya?

Sd I am really pleased with my sale results however out of what I carried 2 did not grade which I expected and took a major beating on them.

My neighbor said the same thing, he had one that didnt do good and he took a hit on her. This will be a newbie question for sure but how exactly does the grading process work. 4 of the he took graded as number 2 a im asuming the a stands for angus but not sure. The other one was a angus heifer that weighed 640 and she just listed as a black. Shes the one he wasnt happy with the results on. So with all that being said how does the grading process work? I know it shows my ignorance to ask this question but you have to understand this is only my second batch of calves, so im very green at all this to say the least.

You can google feeder cattle grades and pick up a lot. Basically, the large/medium/small is in relation to the calf's frame and the 1/2/3 is relative to the calf's thickness.

fitz":2obo1vpn said:
You can google feeder cattle grades and pick up a lot. Basically, the large/medium/small is in relation to the calf's frame and the 1/2/3 is relative to the calf's thickness.
And the A is angus, AX are your baldies and EX are the char crosses.

Thanks for the info yall, ill have to research it some more as to the grading. What letter would the hereford or hereford crosses get? Im assuming itd be a h or hx.

If they are hereford angus cross they may grade as AX, but if they look hereford or red baldie they will most likely be sold as singles.

Ok, theyre hereford x gert crosses so with what youve told me i assume they sell as singles.

Sd1030":2j7rs54h said:
We got there around lunch time. I think his ticket number was 130.

KT from what ive seen siler seems to be close to lynchburg price wise, but i like how the cattle are weighed right off the trailer at lynchburg vs being weighed before they go into the sell ring at siler.

Ok, you are correct in that it makes a big difference in the weight. Being graded into groups helps also. I dont remember if Siler City does that or not. It is unheard of here except on the special graded sales and then they must be weaned, vaccinated and broke to eat feed.

KT i do not think siler does it that way. It appears to me from what ive seen there that the only way a group of cattle will be sold together is if one brings a group of like cows and ask for them to be sold as a lot, but i could be wrong. What part of the mountains are you from?

Sd1030":1q3i0vzo said:
KT i do not think siler does it that way. It appears to me from what ive seen there that the only way a group of cattle will be sold together is if one brings a group of like cows and ask for them to be sold as a lot, but i could be wrong. What part of the mountains are you from?
I am as far west as you can go in VA and no be in KY or TN. I am 4.5-5 hours west of Lynchberg. Bought my Wilson cattle trailer from the guys at Siler City, NC. Have gotten a few calves from both places.
Here we only grade the calves on the special sales but for the regular sale if a person brings in 3, 5, 8, 40, or whatever the number of calves that are of the same sex, color, size, physical look we will sell them together as a group. As a buyer it is much easier to buy a group than the same number of singles. Most of the calves in the sale are still singles though.

Gotcha, you have a good haul then if you go to lynchburg. I heard a fellow talking about a market in wytheville va, the other day. Is that in your neck of the woods?

Sd1030":10p9eqh7 said:
Gotcha, you have a good haul then if you go to lynchburg. I heard a fellow talking about a market in wytheville va, the other day. Is that in your neck of the woods?
Wytheville is 2 1/2 hours east of me. Look on a map at Knoxville TN and them go north to the KY line and then a few miles east to VA. I am there. I can be in Knoxville TN in less than 2 hours.

Hey Kenny do Fredin Brothers buy feeder cattle at the sales by you? They are pretty close to where I live in Minnesota and when I did business with them for a little while they said they got a lot of there cattle out of Virginia, West Virginia, and east Tennessee.

Sd1030":3pbkiref said:
Wytheville is one of the nicer sales I've been to, everything is clean and taken care of. Black cattle sell good there, I'm not sure about hereford. I have a friend that has been raising reg herefords for replacement heifers and he has been taking his hereford steers to roanoke/hollins and has been pleased with the results. I go to roanoke about every other week.

Toad i may have to check out the sale barn at roanoke. I think sky mentioned that the herefords did decent there to so i may have to check it out.

I have never been to the sale at Roanoke/Hollins but have been by there on sale days several times. Small sale but that sometimes is better than the large sales for some of the different breeds. No matter where you decide go there and watch a couple sales first and talk to the manager and tell him what you have and that you might bring them. He will probably encourage you to bring them and at least for the first time make them sell well.

KT at what weight do you sell your calves? What i have to sell varies in weight, without having scales to actually weigh them i think they are in the 3-5 wt range. I was thinking of letting run on the pasture til some time in may then selling them. Not sure if this is the best idea or not.

HAHAHA, I sell at every weight you can imagine. But off my cows I like them to weigh over 600 or the cow is probably gonna go also.
My ball cap says:
Thomas Cattle
BUY, SELL, HAUL
So dont take what I do to be the correct thing. I love buying tall, thin 300-350 lb bull calves that have not been taken care of. I work them and get them going and then at almost any point they are for sale. Many times I sell when I have an order for the size I have or know someone that does. But I will buy almost anything if the price is right.

Sd1030, I bet you like most of us have more grass in the spring than you can graze. I like keeping extra calves or some thin cows to eat this excess of grass and then sell them just as summer begins and the grass slows down.

Sd1030":9l45jyl6 said:
Toad i may have to check out the sale barn at roanoke. I think sky mentioned that the herefords did decent there to so i may have to check it out.

You never know. Seems Lynchburg often sells higher but I looked at Monday's report and Roanoke was around .20 higher on 5-6 wt. M/L #1's.

Latest posts