selling hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
the custom baler pulled into the field yesterday morning to start cutting hay.so again we are going to keep 100 rolls for our cows.an with the 20 carryover hay go in winter with 120 bales.going to sell everything over 100 bales to friend for $32 a bale.he bought from us last year.an he ran out of hay.so he bought some from a guy accross the road that pours the chicken litter to it.an he said his cows liked our hay a heck of alot better.an im betting he gave $40 a bale for that extra hay that he bought.

Is the chicken liter good fertilizer? I met a rancher that owns chicken houses. He uses the liter for his hay fields. I have noticed since we bought chickens that free range daily, our lawns are now a bright green and have also thickened up. Would that be from the chicken liter? Tom

yes its good fert.but alot of cows wont eat hay that litter has been spread on.because it affects the taste of the hay.

kerley":2xzeq737 said:
Is the chicken liter good fertilizer? Tom

Yes, it is. If you decide to use it, you need to be careful how much you put on because it has a high nitrogen content and can burn the hell out of your pastures.

I have only seen it used before plowing ~ it is plowed under so it never actually touches the plant itself. No?

here the people that use it applys 2 tons of litter to the ac pre year.but i love being totally organic.30acs made 134 5 by 6 bales.still have 20acs to cut an bale.

angie":8ozcl60d said:
I have only seen it used before plowing ~ it is plowed under so it never actually touches the plant itself. No?

We use it on the hayfields and some of the pastures. Two tons to the acre. Don't own a plow.

Img_1931.jpg

Got poop?

cfpinz":2rhlvexv said:
angie":2rhlvexv said:

We use it on the hayfields and some of the pastures. Two tons to the acre. Don't own a plow.

Img_1931.jpg

Got poop?

I'm willing to bet that if there are any golfers in those houses on the horizon they are the only golfers praying for rain. I put two tons per acre too and geeesh does that stuff smell. Wonderful fertilizer though and it seems to add body to grass the conventional fertilizer doesn't.

yes it is organic.an its great fert.but with everything getting so high its not worth putting money into hay fields.unless their production has gone down to nothing.jog we should end up with 180 rolls off 60acs.an theres 20acs that we arnt cutting this year because we dont need the hay.an we sold 40acs standing that makes 80 to 100 bales a cutting.so if we kept all the hay from 1 cutting we would have tween 300 an 350 bales.

At the present time here in East Texas it is cost prohibitive to use commercial fertilizer or chicken litter.
The price on the chicken litter is $45 ton at 2 tons to the acre with a minimum of 200 acres. There is no way that you can pay for it with the $.70 to $.80 cent calves. I know off one man that used the litter and from the looks of the amount of hay he produced it was not worth the price. Could be that it takes longer for the manure to be on the ground to be able to be used by the grass. He cut about a month after spreading the manure so maybe next time it may make more. I am about ready to sell the cows out and do nothing, at least doing nothing does not cost.

well he wont have to apply any more litter till next year.you just apply litter once a year.at a rate of 2 or 3 tons to the ac.

bigbull338":1mjl3wh6 said:
well he wont have to apply any more litter till next year.you just apply litter once a year.at a rate of 2 or 3 tons to the ac.
if then, chicken litter will build up soil fertility like crazy. ive seen it applied too a pasture's that will eat up with broom sedge just one application knocked it back less then half

ALACOWMAN":3ulekxs8 said:
bigbull338":3ulekxs8 said:
if then, chicken litter will build up soil fertility like crazy. ive seen it applied too a pasture's that will eat up with broom sedge just one application knocked it back less then half

I think it does more to get rid of broomsedge than lime. Like Joe said, it makes the grass thicken up considerably. In an ideal world, I'd like to have the litter on my hayfields in Feb, but I'll take it when I can get it. Those piles were applied in early April.

bigbull338":5c2g6u3v said:
yes its good fert.but alot of cows wont eat hay that litter has been spread on.because it affects the taste of the hay.

Must be something else besides the litter cause cows will eat litter. I know two folks who feed it or used to anyway.

We have been spreading litter on my place for the last 16 years or so and it has allowed us to support many more head with next to no extra input. I have 40 acre hay meadow That I usually will graze until late january. During febuary i move all my cows off and spread about 2 tons/ACRE. First cutting in may I was able to bail 208 5x6 Bales. This week we are going to get a second cutting, and since this is a pretty good year as far as rain i think we will proably get a third cutting in sep. My dad has three chicken houses so I get all the litter I want as long as I haul it. I know not everyone has the luxury of free litter, but in my opinion, with a little rain it will do wonders. ( If you let the hay cure long enough before baling the cows will love it)

Latest posts