Selling directly to San Angelo meat packers

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":ypbwk4yc said:
NolanCountyAG":ypbwk4yc said:
What they said my check would be for, come out around $845/hd that's pretty good for old culls. If they can't get me a check on Monday I'll see if TSCRA could possibly do something.

I believe I would see if I could get the Ranger to go with me.

Im neighbors with the special ranger for this area so I do have that going for me.

After BSE up here our cattle are tagged and tracked thru the entire system. Im also on email list for local plant - they send out weekly prices and monthly market recaps.

With cull cows, unless someone is gonna feed it out after you - sending it to an auction they're first gonna take their cut, and then the buyer is gonna make his profit off it (with his bid reflecting that) - he knows what the plant is paying so he's not gonna lose unless its condemned. So best dropping it off at the plant yourself if thats an available option.

That might work with a trailer load or if you were down the road from them.
Most culls here go to Lone Star that's a 300 mile trip one way. That will never pay in time or money.

Supa Dexta":rpoqvo4l said:
With cull cows, unless someone is gonna feed it out after you - sending it to an auction they're first gonna take their cut, and then the buyer is gonna make his profit off it (with his bid reflecting that) - he knows what the plant is paying so he's not gonna lose unless its condemned. So best dropping it off at the plant yourself if thats an available option.

Do some kill buyers work on a commission basis?

NolanCountyAG":li8f6aj9 said:
Got my check today, had to go get it in person. Learned my lesson and lucky to have gotten it.

Please elaborate at your convenience.
With cow prices right now it seems it may be quite lucrative. We can sell a good steer and buy two skinny cows.
To me it looks like the potential profit is much better than calves. Especially if the cows can gain into a higher class.
Which many can. I've also read that cows fed corn the last six weeks or so will gain white in the fat color and can gain all the way to commercial grade at the plant.
But will never grade that at auction.
You did very well on your cattle. Did they try to screw you intentionally
Who will you trade with from here on.

Thanks
Andy

Stocker Steve":2287b2ti said:
Supa Dexta":2287b2ti said:

Do some kill buyers work on a commission basis?
Yes, but seems to be more buying on a rail basis. Packers like it better that way.

callmefence":2jtvkmxa said:
NolanCountyAG":2jtvkmxa said:
Got my check today, had to go get it in person. Learned my lesson and lucky to have gotten it.

Please elaborate at your convenience.
With cow prices right now it seems it may be quite lucrative. We can sell a good steer and buy two skinny cows.
To me it looks like the potential profit is much better than calves. Especially if the cows can gain into a higher class.
Which many can. I've also read that cows fed corn the last six weeks or so will gain white in the fat color and can gain all the way to commercial grade at the plant.
But will never grade that at auction.
You did very well on your cattle. Did they try to screw you intentionally
Who will you trade with from here on.

Thanks
Andy

Rumors are that Texas Packing is going under. They are using current funds to cover payment 3-4 weeks back. I got an extra $800 off of 8 cows taken to them instead of LoneStar. I was told the day I dropped them off that I would get a check in about 2 weeks... I was fine with this to get the 20 cents/# better than LS. I called at 2 weeks and they were mailing a check. Called at 3 weeks they were mailing a check. Called at 3.5 weeks they still hadn't mailed it, told them I'd be there in an hour... Their reply was that the guy that signs checks wouldn't be there until today. So I showed up today and demanded my check along with a neighbors that was for 25 head. Give me some more run around and got both checks printed.

From here on out I'll go back to LoneStar, if I haul cows on a Monday morning I have a check in the mailbox by Wednesday around noon. I see lots of people buying cows at sales and hauling them to the packer so there must be something to be made.

Cow then,it is totally an honor system that's your cow.
Unless you see the slaughter and the weight to the cold room your clueless.
I know a lot of things haved changed but carcass were never weighed on the kill floor.
Each and every cow is tracked from unloading to slaughter. You get paid for your cow or cows or bulls. Per USDA every head of cattle is accounted for.

jimbob you sound like you have some experience. An old topic but you can fill in some details if you like.

Welcome to the board and please put your location on your profile.

We ship cows direct to the kill plant every year. The kill sheet I get with my check has two columns that identity the cow. One said back tag number, the other is ear tag number. Mine is by ear tag. They always have the correct ear tag numbers. And by the number the cows I would say were the heaviest or lightest are correct.

I've often wondered what would happen if a few friends got together and went to all the local sales and bought EVERY cow that came in for a bid over kill price for a couple weeks. Not hard to figure out what top bid is for the day. Would sure take some capital to do it. But wouldn't it be fun!!

The way prices are right now, I wonder if a guy could just haul em himself and make some CASH

Latest posts