Selling Directly to Packing Houses

Help Support CattleToday:

AdamNWOH

Reaction score
I raise some steer each year (mostly Holsteins ) and always have sold them at auction in groups of 1-4 as the reach market weight. Lately auction prices around here (Northwest Ohio ) have been up and down, one week I get great prices and the next I'm giving them away. I would like to know it any directly sells small groups of steers to packing house. I like the idea of having a set daily market price. Do the packing houses take small groups of steer or I would have to have a full trailer load? Does anyone know any packing houses around Northwest Ohio? Any help and suggestions would be great. Thanks!

you would just have to talk to your packing houses an see if they buy cattle by the hot weight.

Or find the buyers for the packing house and see if they will buy direct.

AdamNWOH":26jhzyre said:
I raise some steer each year (mostly Holsteins ) and always have sold them at auction in groups of 1-4 as the reach market weight. Lately auction prices around here (Northwest Ohio ) have been up and down, one week I get great prices and the next I'm giving them away. I would like to know it any directly sells small groups of steers to packing house. I like the idea of having a set daily market price. Do the packing houses take small groups of steer or I would have to have a full trailer load? Does anyone know any packing houses around Northwest Ohio? Any help and suggestions would be great. Thanks!
If your cattle are of consistent quality and you are seeing that much fluctuation week to week it would leave me to believe that the packer at your auction have already met quota for the day to keep the chain full. Generally when the chain is full going direct to packer will not help much. Unless of course you could deal with a different packer than the one coming to your sale.

How many do you feed? We market quite a few finished cattle through 2-3 small processing plants. Sell everything on the rail, have done it successfully for years. We do live in a very sparse'ly populated area. I have often thought if we were located near a large city or even in a place that was more densly populated. We could really realize another profitable enterprise in our operation.

Latest posts