Selling cows on Saturday

Help Support CattleToday:

brenda

Reaction score
We are having a special sale Saturday at the salebarn. Finally got the hubby convinced to sell a few that really needed to go because of their "attitude".

Hope the prices are still holding strong. Will let you guys know on Sunday!

Attitude is a good reason to say goodbye. One of the best cows I've ever owned loved me but hated my wife. The choice was easy since she (the cow) made it perfectly clear there wouldn't be two women in my life. So I took the cow to the barn and they looked at me like I was crazy and asked WHY? (She wasn't mean or crazy - she just hated my wife)

Jogeephus":32j7d5m1 said:
Attitude is a good reason to say goodbye. One of the best cows I've ever owned loved me but hated my wife. The choice was easy since she (the cow) made it perfectly clear there wouldn't be two women in my life. So I took the cow to the barn and they looked at me like I was crazy and asked WHY? (She wasn't mean or crazy - she just hated my wife)

Apparantly you've never heard the song "I'm gonna miss her". But last year I did the same thing, great cow but wanted to eat my wifes lunch

brenda":2nk39rd3 said:
We are having a special sale Saturday at the salebarn. Finally got the hubby convinced to sell a few that really needed to go because of their "attitude".

Hope the prices are still holding strong. Will let you guys know on Sunday!

I hope that 'special sale' isn't a brood cow sale. If it is, I hope their attitude isn't a 'killer' attitude.
When we cull for 'attitude' they go to the salebarn and they are directed to go for 'kill'. If someone wants to pull a cow from the kill pen, then it's on their own head.
We have sold a few as brood cows where we've advised the prospective buyers to be extra cautious the first few days after calving. But we don't cull those kind.

Whenever I take one like that I get out and tell them "bad cow". You can hear them relaying the info down the lanes to the other handlers. They start climbing the fences.

The last one I took, I told the gate opener "bad cow" he said ok. He just stood there until I opened the gate and she put him on top of the fence within 2 seconds of exiting the trailer. :lol:

Most buyers can tell a bad cow seconds after she gets in the ring.

Weigh her up for kill.

Latest posts