Sell or hold?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave said:
Cows went to the kill plant yesterday. The calves are little light. So a couple days in the corral to get the bawl out of them. Then out of the irrigated meadow. Not certain what we will do with them. Might hold over for next years yearling deal, might sell in September. I know that there is one leppy that is going to someone else. It is barely bigger than my border collie. Hopefully someone needs a roping calf.
We got the money for the one and done cows we shipped. Timing is everything. They sold on the rail hot weight. The best cows were $1.48 on the rail. The thinnest lightest cows were $1.32. I averaged $734. That is no commission money in my pocket. I paid $770 average for the cows. So I am $36 plus $250 feed bill into the calves who probably average 425 pounds. They are worth about $700 (a little less for heifers but I have more steers than heifers). I will end up with more than $300 profit per cow.

bird dog said:
Did you have any cows not bring a calf to the weaning?
I had a couple slip calves. They went to the sale the next week. Actually got more for then than I had originally paid. I had one lose a calf close to weaning. The calf got upside down in a pivot track. One of those nothing you can do about that deals unless you are right there to pull it out.

Latest posts