Sell by date on meat product

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I was at the butcher shop in Taylor yesterday. They sell " red dogs" there. I figure if I'm going to eat a hotdog might as well be a good one. The dogs like em too. :) Anyway, they had some smoked tri tips on sale for $3.40 lb. They aren't real big so I picked a couple up. I got home and noticed one had a " SALE BY DATE of 12/06/2012" They are smoked and were frozen. I figure they should still be good. Aged so to speak.......what do you think about that? Thanks in advance.

I would certainly go back and question them. If it had been frozen before the sell by date it is no big deal. The same as you taking it home and putting it in your freezer. But I would certainly want to know. Also that way if you thaw it and it smells bad you are already on the record for questioning it.

Kingfisher":7gluoxyp said:
I was at the butcher shop in Taylor yesterday. They sell " red dogs" there. I figure if I'm going to eat a hotdog might as well be a good one. The dogs like em too. :) Anyway, they had some smoked tri tips on sale for $3.40 lb. They aren't real big so I picked a couple up. I got home and noticed one had a " SALE BY DATE of 12/06/2012" They are smoked and were frozen. I figure they should still be good. Aged so to speak.......what do you think about that? Thanks in advance.

That little shop is still there? I used to drive up there from Caldwel to buy meat and my kids loved those hot dogs.

I've got stuff in the freezer that is probably 5 years old. It will be eaten eventually. Just didnt' come with an expiration date on it.

Latest posts