"Self-tailing"

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkM

Reaction score
I know I read some ideas in a recent thread about tailing an animal by yourself while restraining them in a squeeze chute. I have a few bull calves to band without help.

Can someone direct me to that thread or post some ways of tailing them by myself?

Thanks

MarkM":2wyxoabg said:
I know I read some ideas in a recent thread about tailing an animal by yourself while restraining them in a squeeze chute. I have a few bull calves to band without help.

Can someone direct me to that thread or post some ways of tailing them by myself?

Thanks
I band by myself and don't tail anything. Let the bar down, lean in and keep your head up level with their back.

Sometimes I'll take a lead rope around an ankle take a wrap or 2 around the top bar and lift his leg to his belly. Find a way to hold the rope and band away. Typically I place the rope under my knee.

I have two methods. A clamp on the tail with a rope that runs through a pulley to a weight (20-30 pounds). The weight in effect pulls up on the tail. The other method is to get them in a small pen (mine is 8 by 16). Get a rope on both back legs. Wrap the rope on top of a fence post. Pull on the rope and take up the slack on the post top (actually easier than it sounds). When their back feet are about even with their back tie the rope off and tip the calf over. One knee on the neck and you can do whatever you want to the calf. This works on calves less than 250 pounds.

MarkM":isp0jgi6 said:

Thanks

How old ?

Dave":1ku3ug9k said:
I have two methods. A clamp on the tail with a rope that runs through a pulley to a weight (20-30 pounds). The weight in effect pulls up on the tail. The other method is to get them in a small pen (mine is 8 by 16). Get a rope on both back legs. Wrap the rope on top of a fence post. Pull on the rope and take up the slack on the post top (actually easier than it sounds). When their back feet are about even with their back tie the rope off and tip the calf over. One knee on the neck and you can do whatever you want to the calf. This works on calves less than 250 pounds.

When I cut the bull calves I want to keep as steers I have help from a friend and "tail" them. The idea is to pull straight up on the tall as hard as possible and they never kick, so far so good. As far as doing it yourself I don't see why Dave's suggestions would not work very well, Will try it myself, just get the weights to pull the tail basically straight up and with tension. Dave has a much better idea on the weight required than I.

I've used hay string to tie a girth hitch on the tail and pull this up and wrap it over a bar or something on the squeeze.

I don't always use this method, but I have an emobilizer. It is a device that is chargable, about 6x8 inches. It has 2 wires, one has a clamp on it similiar to jumper cables that you attach to lip of the animal. The other wire has a small clamp similar to a trolling motor connector, that you attach to the skin between the tail and body of the animal. You turn on the switch and the animal is immobilized. You can pretty much do whatever you need to. A head gate or squeeze chute is still needed. It does work.

Latest posts