Contrary to Self Interest

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
I went to a local sale barn last fall looking for stock. I always get there early to watch cattle unload and look at them in the stalls before the auction starts. As someone said: "You can see a lot by just looking".

A guy pulls up in a pickup with a small cage trailer towing behind. the trailer is jammed with newborn holstein calfs, far, far too many for the trailer. Several were down and the rest stood on top of them. Others were standing but only by virtue of being packed so tightly they could not fall. He opened the back gate and drug them out one by one flinging them down on the ground. they lay there as he tried to make them stand and move to the stalls. several he drug to the stalls.

I am in the cattle business and under no illusions about what the business is all about. The thing that stunned me here is the utter stupidity of his actions. The calves either did not sell or sold for 5 or 10 dollars each. How hard or expensive would it have been to take care of these 20 or so calves just a bit, feed them, water them, transport them in a reasonably sized trailer, bringing them to the barn looking healthy and alert. they would have sold for $70 - 100 each. Is there so much money in big dairy operations that they can afford to throw money away?

Jon

alot of people do crazy things like that.a down calf means no money in his pocket.but he dont see it that way.

Miss.....the only consolation is that guy got just what he deserved. Can't say the same for the poor calves nor the people that bought them. It's always a good idea to visit a sale barn early. Not only to see what's coming in but to also get a good idea how cattle are handled by the auction personnel.

MissouriExile":3lrntius said:
I went to a local sale barn last fall looking for stock. I always get there early to watch cattle unload and look at them in the stalls before the auction starts. As someone said: "You can see a lot by just looking".

A guy pulls up in a pickup with a small cage trailer towing behind. the trailer is jammed with newborn holstein calfs, far, far too many for the trailer. Several were down and the rest stood on top of them. Others were standing but only by virtue of being packed so tightly they could not fall. He opened the back gate and drug them out one by one flinging them down on the ground. they lay there as he tried to make them stand and move to the stalls. several he drug to the stalls.

I am in the cattle business and under no illusions about what the business is all about. The thing that stunned me here is the utter stupidity of his actions. The calves either did not sell or sold for 5 or 10 dollars each. How hard or expensive would it have been to take care of these 20 or so calves just a bit, feed them, water them, transport them in a reasonably sized trailer, bringing them to the barn looking healthy and alert. they would have sold for $70 - 100 each. Is there so much money in big dairy operations that they can afford to throw money away?

Jon

Definetely someone who should not own any animals-poor lil things!

Gail

This is not meant as an excuse for anyone abusing cattle. But the price for holstein bull calves has hit rock bottom here. A friend sent 3 bull calves to the sale barn last week and got a check for ten dollars. :shock: A good heifer calf will still bring $750.00.

Good point GMN. I go early to the auction also to see what kind of setup the calves pull up in. I gives me a quick sense of the background of the calf's health. This may be stereotyping, but I'm OK with it. ;-)

They don't sell like heifers but down in this area still bring from $25 to $100 depending on size and liveliness.

TexasBred":2tf7f0gf said:
They don't sell like heifers but down in this area still bring from $25 to $100 depending on size and liveliness.

No, they wouldn't sell like heifers but in SW Missouri a lot of folks have five acres or so and will raise a Holstein calf for the freezer. They don't convert feed as well as other breeds but make good beef. They sell for 50+, as you said, depending on how lively they are.

If I were in an area where you could pick them up for a song I sure would be thinking of a way to turn a buck on that deal.

Jon

MissouriExile":3l43eam3 said:

Jon

:mad: I woulda been findin it hard ta not say somethin ta tha loser :mad: .I imagine I would have if my wife couldn't be talkin me out of it. If he wanted ta make somethin outa my words, we'da been fightin fools. :devil2: Not that I be sayin ya shoulda done that Jon. Probably woulda been a dumb thing ta do,better ta just walk away, but I never been all that bright anyway
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It wasn't just contrary to his interest, it is contrary to the industry as a whole. We have spent the last week taking an a... kicking for the fools at that plant in California. If someone had taken a video of the scene you described, we would be having another round of disgraceful actions being broadcast nationwide.

Just me,but I'da found out where he worked,and had a talk with the owner-'cause I bet it wasn't him.

Rookie":2kn4jvg9 said:
MissouriExile":2kn4jvg9 said:

Jon

:mad: I woulda been findin it hard ta not say somethin ta tha loser :mad: .I imagine I would have if my wife couldn't be talkin me out of it. If he wanted ta make somethin outa my words, we'da been fightin fools. :devil2: Not that I be sayin ya shoulda done that Jon. Probably woulda been a dumb thing ta do,better ta just walk away, but I never been all that bright anyway
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Clearly you are very astute and I'm ashamed to say you are right. I should've said something and followed it wherever it went. My only excuse (not a good one) is that I was/am fairly new to the business and didn't know if this was "business as usual" or something I should speak up about. I still don't feel comfortable sticking my nose in someone elses business. Also my strong aversion to the extremists at PETA shouldn't blind me to the fact that livestock should be treated with respect.

Have a great day !!
Jon

Latest posts