Stuck My Self After Giving Cow a Shot!

Help Support CattleToday:

srv010

Reaction score
I was working my cows this morning. All was going well, until I couldn't get the cap to close after giving a cow a Triangle 10 vac. I stabbed it into my palm of my right hand. It bleed pretty good, but I gave 2 other shots to finish working my cattle. Do you think that I might have some trouble from this? I cleaned it real good. I put antibiotic ointment on it too. Thanks in advance!!! :help:

IMHO, your fine. I have accidently given myself full doses of some meds-------and no ill affects. Be warned micotil is a man killer though.

Bigfoot":13vzcu22 said:
IMHO, your fine. I have accidently given myself full doses of some meds-------and no ill affects. Be warned micotil is a man killer though.
Yep, as bigfoot said. Just watch for infection like when sticking yourself with anything else.

I've stuck myself too many times also. But as stated know what you are giving and any effects on humans. For example you don't want your young wife or teenage daughter to mess with fertagyl, I know a vet who stuck himself while putting the cap on a needle after a bangs shot, several weeks in the hospital. On the other hand I stuck myself after giving a ivomec shot, I gained a couple of pounds and my skin was smooth and had a nice gloss to it.

Sickest I ever was ,was when I stuck myself after giving a shot, latest a full week before it broke, Doctor did all kind of tests , never did come to a conclusion for what I had, called it leptospirosis for the insurance report.

M-5":aft30ykf said:
I've stuck my self with black leg and it works , I was cured and white as I can be
Well that's a good thing. A shot of Nuflor in the rear will fix the crud also.

highgrit":gp91zcu0 said:
M-5":gp91zcu0 said:
I've stuck my self with black leg and it works , I was cured and white as I can be
Well that's a good thing. A shot of Nuflor in the rear will fix the crud also.

Can't be BQA certified and shoot yourself there. Put it in you neck.

I had a hand load of shots to give to a cow, while handing them to husband to give, the cow jumped and i was stuck with a syringe of micotil...My first thought, "Was that the bad stuff?" And indeed it was. I was pretty sure i was just jabbed in the finger and nothing injected so i brushed it off. On my way home on my 4wheeler, i looked at where i got jabbed and my finger was turning blue. I FREAKED OUT!!! Husband called poison control and they told him to get me to ER real quick. Well, getting there and quick is never going to happen out here, lol....After the panic wore off, i was showing none of the signs they told us to look for, and at an hour past i was fine so we didnt go to ER.. Poison control did call me every day for a week to see if i could tell anything was weird.
I told my Vet this and he said a guy working cows had the vial in his pocket that broke and soaked into his pants. He wore these pants the rest of the day and by then the damage was done. I believe it ruined his heart. So, you dont have to get it injected...it will soak into your skin too..

If something bad is going to happen, it would happen quick. You wouldn't be hear to talk about it. I have had all my shots at one time or another, but I may be lacking on the boosters. Always get dewormed every year as well. Dad on the other hand had a bad reaction (hand swelled up) to Triangle 9, 15 years ago. Happened so quick, didn't think he would make it to the truck, let alone a hospital.

In the past we've been careless when handling anything, wormer, vaccines, medications......But someone said something to me that made me wish i had always been careful..
Cows live a short time compared to the length of time we do. Something that may not cause a problem with a cow might not cause it because they dont live long enough. We live way longer and any exposure to some of these products may cause who knows what years from now. So always be careful handling anything.

I've accidently vaccinated and de-wormed myself, a few times, with no ill effects.

The only issue I ever had was when I accidently synchronized myself :shock: .

About 12 years ago I had been giving injections for a timed AI protocol, when one of the cows jumped and jerked and I ended up with the stuff squirted on my hand. I immediately went inside and washed my hands. Well, 2 weeks later, much to my surprise, is when I learned that it doesn't matter how quickly you wash your hands, it absorbs through the skin rather rapidly. :lol2: :lol2:

About twenty years ago,I had an Ivomec Pour On bottle start leaking on my back.Soaked real well before I could get it off.I still don't have problems with lice or grubs.Don't have worms.I shed hair.

Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings especially after Dash 5 got cured of blackleg but I never realized there were this many people who couldn't keep a syringe pointed the right direction. :???:

I know i'm more careful now......I was taking the needle case off when the cow went crazy and sent us flying back..

TexasBred":376t0xen said:
Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings especially after Dash 5 got cured of blackleg but I never realized there were this many people who couldn't keep a syringe pointed the right direction. :???:

I accidently ear implanted my brothers band once. It's not always the injured persons fault. :oops:

Daughter gave herself an 8 way. The vet got there a few minutes later. He told her that she wouldn't get blackleg. Apparently she read the directions and wanted to follow them because she gave herself a booster 3 weeks later. Good news is there is no sign of blackleg, red water, or the other ailments that vaccine works to prevent.

Latest posts