self feeding protein supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

Llcolt

Reaction score
I am thinking about using a salt/soybean meal or a salt/distillers grain mix on a self fed basis to provide winter protein needs. The salt would control the intake. Wondering if anyone has experience with this method?

Cattlemen have been doing it down here for several generations except the most commonly used protein source for the mix is cottonseed meal. Makes an even better mix if you'll mix it 2 parts corn, 1 part protein source and 1 part salt. Gives adequate protein and much more energy.

Thanks. I am talking about cows....your 2-1-1 mix would be 25% salt?....what kind of consumption might that result in?

Llcolt":1h02qh5j said:
I am thinking about using a salt/soybean meal or a salt/distillers grain mix on a self fed basis to provide winter protein needs. The salt would control the intake. Wondering if anyone has experience with this method?
Been using 2:1 and 3:1 range meal.
m-g or Thomas Moore or I go up to bryan and get it a producers mill.

Llcolt":v86liopo said:
Thanks. I am talking about cows....your 2-1-1 mix would be 25% salt?....what kind of consumption might that result in?
I'm talking about cows too...Should average 3-4 lbs. per head per day.

TexasBred":2odrkiqe said:
Should average 3-4 lbs. per head per day.
With or without feeding freechoice hay too?
Mine, I don't think, consume that much/day. Still got a little grass and hay out too.
2 lbs/hd maybe.

greybeard":2r7s07sk said:
TexasBred":2r7s07sk said:
Should average 3-4 lbs. per head per day.
With or without feeding freechoice hay too?
Mine, I don't think, consume that much/day. Still got a little grass and hay out too.
2 lbs/hd maybe.
Free choice hay always. Consumption will vary but 3-4 lbs. per head per day should be max. Even less of the 2-1 meal you said you sometimes use but it will be normally higher in protein also

Pasture and 9-10% hay is the only self feeding protein I've fed for the last 4 years. (Yes I understand this doesn't work everywhere.)

Since then I've often wondered, If excessive salt consumption is bad for humans might it not also be not so great for cattle.....

I keep salt and mineral out at all time. Salt consumption is minuscule compared to when I put out 3-1 meal, 2-1 meal or molasses tubs. Best of all, my cattle don't seem to miss it.

LIke humans cattle need a certain amount of sodium. Lack of it can affect conception rates. A lot of what cattle are fed would be considered bad for humans because it might be excessive in certain things, especially fats and excessive protein at time. Cattle can handle up to a pound of salt per day without harm. Like mineral etc. some times they will eat a lot and other times hardly any. The "range meal" mix has the good tasting protein products to entice consumption but salt to limit it at a certain level.

Do all tubs, including cooked molasses have that "stale urine" odor? I used to think it was from urea, but I looked at 3 different brands yesterday that all knocked me down with that ammonia-like smell as soon as I pulled the plastic film back and the selling point on two of the store placard labels was "NO UREA!".
Dumor I think was the brand on one. (Dumor is a TSC brand made by Purina as far as I know)
The only cooked tub I found that didn't smell that way was a Purina labeled 30% tub, and it said "less than 15% NPN (non-protein nitrogen)--small red tub--maybe 60 lbs--waay overpriced for it's size at $39 ea.
Is NPN another term for urea?
What the heck IS that smell?

greybeard":3onvn3nt said:
Do all tubs, including cooked molasses have that "stale urine" odor? I used to think it was from urea, but I looked at 3 different brands yesterday that all knocked me down with that ammonia-like smell as soon as I pulled the plastic film back and the selling point on two of the store placard labels was "NO UREA!".
Dumor I think was the brand on one. (Dumor is a TSC brand made by Purina as far as I know)
The only cooked tub I found that didn't smell that way was a Purina labeled 30% tub, and it said "less than 15% NPN (non-protein nitrogen)--small red tub--maybe 60 lbs--waay overpriced for it's size at $39 ea.

NPN=non-protein nitrogen=urea

An ammonia like-smell is most likely from urea as urea is made by combining carbon dioxide and ammonia.

greybeard":3erxgyi9 said:
It's not necessarily urea. You'd be amazed at some of the ingredients that are mixed and presented as "molasses". Poured or pressed tubs usually are a bit more smelly than cooked tubs.

I sometimes use the tubs for small groups of cattle, but for larger bunches I've had good luck with the bulk liquid feed along with free choice salt and mineral. I make sure I have this liquid feed available the entire time I'm feeding hay, especially since I quit fertilizing my hayfield due to the high cost.

Latest posts