Self-Catch Head Gate vs Manual Sweeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

WCR

Reaction score
We are looking to purchase a new squeeze chute to help work our Braford cattle. Given they are relatively large-framed cows, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to the relative benefits/concerns of buying one with a self-catch head gate or if we should stay with a manual? :roll: Any help, suggestions, or experience you can offer is appreciated. Thanks!

I have found that the self catch isn't worth a hoot. It seems to take a pretty good sized, or wild animal to hit that catch hard enough to get it to latch. And the calves couldn't latch it at all.

But the unit I used was a Big Valley. And a real piece of junk.

autos arent all they are cracked up to be. can be nice if you have to work a cow by yourself but a manual and some patience will get the job done too.

I have a Foremost automatic and it works good. As was mentioned before, if there is ever a chance that you will have to work a sick animal or something by yourself you should go with the auto. Ours is adjustable for many different sizes with just 1 pin and we don't have problems with cows or calves catching.

We have a Priefert auto and wouldn;'t be without it. I've used other autos and didn;t really like any of them. We catch everything from big cows to little calves and haven;t had a problem. The only problem we've had is a couple of the cows just walk up and stick their heads through and stop. On those I have to trip the auto catch myself, but it's just amatter of flipping a little lever so no big deal.

dun

I used a manual head catch (only) for years. I finally broke down and bought a WW squeeze with automatic catch. I will never go back to a manual although I do have the manual head catch setup in my small replacement pen for shots and such but that's just a few head at a time. I don't ask the squeeze to catch calves automatically because they usually can squeeze through if I have it open at all. I only reset the position for the bulls if required. I usually just run the bulls in and work them without actually head catching them anyway. I can give shots and worm them most of the time with no problems without catching their head and nicing them off by catching their heads.

On our Priefert headgate/chute, the automatic is fine if we're dealing with cows... I just like to make sure that everything has been WD-40'd real well. With calves, though, it seems like they don't bump it quite hard enough, so I usually catch them manually.

dont know the name brand of the one i use, but it works fine unless the cow has horns of any size... sometimes they catch the door with a horn and set it before the head goes thru.

there are times that i like the manual one better and times when i like the auto better.

jt

I have a powder river squeeze chute that has an auto head catch. Works great with polled cattle! I only use the auto mode. Like someone else said, "Auto's can be set to manual, but manuals cannot be set to auto."

Manual headgates work fine,if you have someone to help you.I do a lot of work with the cattle by myself,and i sure wouldn't want to be without my auto headgate.

Latest posts