seeding orchardgrass into existing clover

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
We have 30acres of clover timothy hay that will be cut next year. My thoughts are to convert the field into orchardgrass/clover pasture after we cut the clover for seed. Do you think I can no-till the orchardgrass in next fall and do some good or should I work the ground and start all over. I would spread fertilizer and clover seed the following winter to help keep the clover going. Any thoughts????

No till. I've had really good sucess with no-tilling OG into just about everything. As long as the gorwing period for the existing stuff isn;t way ahead of the OG or it's grazed/cut really short so it doesn;t shade the seedlings

dun

Timothy is pretty much a one crop grass in this country. I think it would be a good one to interseed in to since it is not sod forming. Some folks here spin Orchard grass into bluegrass/timothy pastures. Your local USDA office should have a no till drill for rent.

Renovating will set you back a year or two - - so I would only do it if you were going to alfalfa, or had a major weed problem.

I wouldn't disc it up, just no till it in, and it will do good, but put at least 10-15per acre to get a good stand.

GMN

is there a better implement than a no till dirll to use? We generally have to put wheat or oats with the OG to carry it out of the seed box with our drill. And the drill has 7" spacing. I thought about broadcasting some OG seed in a starter fertilizer and then drilling in the rest :?: :?: Am I trying to be to complicated?. :dunce:
The only orchardgrass that I have planted was in the spring with complete tillage. I broadcasted the seed and then ran a drill over it with oats as a cover crop. I drug a gate behind the drill to help cove the seed. I have been lucky enough to get a good stand both times I did it this way. (40 acre and 17 acres)

If it works for you, then I wouldn't change. We have always no tilled orchardgrass in fall, and it has always come up. Did it in Septmber and it is already 3-5 inches tall in spots, as we also no tilled rye in, and it too is coming up.

GMN

I notill everything excpet clover. But I use an old VanBrunt, not a real notill. I drag tires behind the drill and haven't had a problem with OG, fescue WW or rye. I did change the drill from the old horn type openers to disk openers. The only seed that doesn;t get through the drill is a little in the bottom, but it doesn;t matter what kind it is.

dun

I agree..gotta love that timothy..would only no till the other seed...it comes back year to year here.

Latest posts