Seeding down $2.50/bu corn fields?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Local dry corn price went below $3/bu last month. Looks like late planted wet corn here will be worth about $2.50 out of the field. The bigger dirt farmers have revenue crop insurance so they will still make money this year. Heard one speculating this week on how many years of low grain prices it will take before corn and bean folks will shift to some thing new. CRP pays out $75/acre here...

Do you seeing anyone seeding down crop acres for forage or pasture yet?
Are you seeing cow prices still going up?

Revenue insurance will keep most the big boys floating here. I have seen cows getting darn high and seeing some local people buying some cattle just to feed that they normally wouldn't have.

Another thing I have seen is guys spent a lot more on bulls and I seen 3-4 places that have never AI'ed do 20-100% of the mature cows.

Also been seeing the beef guys cutting hay sooner and fertilizing hay ground trying to make better forage.

I'm guessing we will see a lot of corn chopped this year too. We haven't done custom work in few years. I'd bet we chop 100+ loads for local guys now.

Till-Hill":3k278760 said:
Revenue insurance will keep most the big boys floating here. I have seen cows getting darn high and seeing some local people buying some cattle just to feed that they normally wouldn't have.

Revenue insurance works for 2014, but then ? The "experts" are projecting a reduction in land prices.

I sure hope so. My family would really like to buy a small parcel at some point. This $400 acre rent down here got a bunch of pastures plowed up and I just smile now! them boy will have fun with that this year.

I couldn't pencil out rent at $230 with $5.50 corn on 150 bu/acre. I'd like to see them do it at $2.50!

Stocker Steve":6az9z8wp said:
Local dry corn price went below $3/bu last month. Looks like late planted wet corn here will be worth about $2.50 out of the field. The bigger dirt farmers have revenue crop insurance so they will still make money this year. Heard one speculating this week on how many years of low grain prices it will take before corn and bean folks will shift to some thing new. CRP pays out $75/acre here...

Do you seeing anyone seeding down crop acres for forage or pasture yet?
Are you seeing cow prices still going up?
Not around here. Even if they did it would be hard to find cattle to put on the new pastures.

What crp we have is around 105 an acher abd some of its been in close to 30 years now. But alot of crp around here was not renewed last few years and plowed all to get 200+ that being said half of thatshould still be seeded as its washing down the ditch every rain

Do you seeing anyone seeding down crop acres for forage or pasture yet? Are you seeing cow prices still going up?

TexasBred":adk7p3bi said:
Not around here. Even if they did it would be hard to find cattle to put on the new pastures.

IF they wanted to work for a living - - they could use the prevent plant insurance and the revenue insurance to buy cows. :cowboy:

I have some 1500# broken mouth continental cross silage queens for only U$S 3,000. ;-)

I thought our government did away with the CRP program, but maybe that's a state by state thing. The only thing they pay on now is buffer strips around creeks or wetlands and I think it pays well. I think it will take 2 years of $2 corn for people to seed down pastures again but the feedlots will be trying to feed cattle with grain being that cheap. You sure can't make any money on cheap corn at the elevators with the inputs so high.

Kscattle":37gf85y1 said:
I thought our government did away with the CRP program, but maybe that's a state by state thing. The only thing they pay on now is buffer strips around creeks or wetlands and I think it pays well. I think it will take 2 years of $2 corn for people to seed down pastures again .

CRP is a typical government program with unintended consequences.
I have land that is 1 mile west of the county line and in a "priority area." I am told it is easy to sign up.
I have land that is 5 miles east of the same county line and no one gets in... Go figure.
There are similar issues with crop insurance. So optimizers farm on the west side of the line and pasture on the east side. :nod:

Stocker Steve":27lsq8ld said:
Kscattle":27lsq8ld said:
I thought our government did away with the CRP program, but maybe that's a state by state thing. The only thing they pay on now is buffer strips around creeks or wetlands and I think it pays well. I think it will take 2 years of $2 corn for people to seed down pastures again .

CRP is a typical government program with unintended consequences.
I have land that is 1 mile west of the county line and in a "priority area." I am told it is easy to sign up.
I have land that is 5 miles east of the same county line and no one gets in... Go figure.
There are similar issues with crop insurance. So optimizers farm on the west side of the line and pasture on the east side. :nod:

One of which was an amazing increase in wildlife and not just pheasants!

3waycross":3fiepena said:
One of which was an amazing increase in wildlife and not just pheasants!

I lived in ND in the early 90s when CRP really took off. Bird hunting was amazing as you said, and posters were few...

My area has land suited for just about everything. Some crop land, some marginal land, and some steep enough to just grow pasture. I've seen a bunch of marginal land go in to production. I've even seen some CRP ground come out of the program to go in to production. I even know one elderly person that pulled their land out of the CRP because their grandson wanted to get "started" row cropping. We've had some crop ground selling for $8-10,000 an acre. Long story short, it'll be interesting watch this all unfold. Who knows. A simple minded man like me might even be able to acquire more land by time it runs it course.

Stocker Steve":1wszketu said:
Do you seeing anyone seeding down crop acres for forage or pasture yet? Are you seeing cow prices still going up?

TexasBred":1wszketu said:

IF they wanted to work for a living - - they could use the prevent plant insurance and the revenue insurance to buy cows. :cowboy:

I have some 1500# broken mouth continental cross silage queens for only U$S 3,000. ;-)
:lol: :lol: I imagine these "cowboys" down here are already rounding up their share of those and slicking them up for the guys buying".

Till-Hill":3tqmhrng said:
I sure hope so. My family would really like to buy a small parcel at some point. This $400 acre rent down here got a bunch of pastures plowed up and I just smile now! them boy will have fun with that this year.

I couldn't pencil out rent at $230 with $5.50 corn on 150 bu/acre. I'd like to see them do it at $2.50!

I thought my math was just really bad :) 400 acre rent and guys bragging they got over million dollars worth of equipment in the field I could never see how it works. Now they're crying its getting hard.

Kscattle":30ko2hog said:
I thought our government did away with the CRP program, but maybe that's a state by state thing. The only thing they pay on now is buffer strips around creeks or wetlands and I think it pays well. I think it will take 2 years of $2 corn for people to seed down pastures again but the feedlots will be trying to feed cattle with grain being that cheap. You sure can't make any money on cheap corn at the elevators with the inputs so high.

There is a lot of CRP in Kansas yet, not what there was 5 years ago but still a decent amount.

Livestock producers here are not renewing CRP grass land contracts so they can grow more forage.

Whitetail deer producers here are still putting farm land into 15 year CRP tree contracts. Some of there guys brag about how their farming neighbors provide free food plots. We have one across the road with a bumper crop of thistle now, and more deer to feed in the future. :(

If the government keeps paying for trees, then parts of the northern plains may start to resemble New England. Lots of old fences winding though second growth timber.

Stocker Steve":ghbvtjga said:
Livestock producers here are not renewing CRP grass land contracts so they can grow more forage.

Whitetail deer producers here are still putting farm land into 15 year CRP tree contracts. Some of there guys brag about how their farming neighbors provide free food plots. We have one across the road with a bumper crop of thistle now, and more deer to feed in the future. :(

If the government keeps paying for trees, then parts of the northern plains may start to resemble New England. Lots of old fences winding though second growth timber.

I sure wish they would quit paying for trees in our area, it's suppose to be open prairie. Then they are going to think they need to regulate our pasture use because we have prairie chickens yet they are paying for trees. :roll:

Latest posts