Securing hay/ticket

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm tags are great...if the sheriff doesn't know the rig and sees then a stop for sure. We're limited to the distance from the farm that the rig can travel, can't run over to Idaho for lunch. Dmc

dj":3ipw358i said:
cowboyekt":3ipw358i said:
denoginnizer":3ipw358i said:
I wonder how many of us actually know how to correctly secure a load or even how much weight we are hauling. How many feet apart should straps and chains be for X amount of pounds.

I hate pulling heavy loads but I cant really afford to pay someone else and still meet my profit goals.

My dad due to his experience can tell you all what you say. As far as straps and chains it depends on how many bales and what type bales you are hauling as to how many straps and chains you need!!!!!

On round bales I dunno one per row front and back bottom and then one for row on top?

What we have found to work the best for round bales is a heavy rope or chain attached to the four corners of the trailer and a come along in the middle to winch them down. If your trailer does not have the means to do this, then simply weld a hook on the four corners.

cowboyekt":2qa3wadd said:
johndeerefarmer":2qa3wadd said:
You are NOT even required to have a farm tag on your trailers in Texas...............

No tags for Oklahoma trailers either.

That came up in the last session and got shut down again, due in a large part to OCA lobbying.

cowboyekt":3qa0ghic said:
johndeerefarmer":3qa0ghic said:
You are NOT even required to have a farm tag on your trailers in Texas...............

No tags for Oklahoma trailers either.

:shock: Dang, you guys have it easy! Tags are required for everything except farming equipment here - if you don't have tags, you best not be on the highways!

Farm tags are nothing but a joke here. You see people running around in suv's with farm tags on them or pickups that never get their tires off the blacktop. I don't care where you are if the vehicle is used for anything other than farm business say running around at night or on the weekends anything other than farm use it shouldn't have a farm tag on it.

So would going to the grocery story or church be considered farm business?

Are you saying just because someone can only afford one vehicle they should have to choose between taking the family to the movies one night a month or the farm tags.

I agree some people abuse it, but lets not go overboard.

when I was in highschool an overzealous deputy came into the school parking lot and wrote all the farm tags tickets. They were all voided.

3MR":1hrzszww said:

Are you saying just because someone can only afford one vehicle they should have to choose between taking the family to the movies one night a month or the farm tags.

I don't have farm tags on my truck for that reason. I run all over town with the thing, pick up non-farm items. I use the truck near 90% of the time for farm use but get more than the allotted 100 miles from the farm with the stock trailer hooked to it. I can't justify the cost of the ticket for the few bucks I'd save a year on tags.

3MR":kc3rmb1w said:

I agree some people abuse it, but lets not go overboard.

when I was in highschool an overzealous deputy came into the school parking lot and wrote all the farm tags tickets. They were all voided.

Yea I was going to say thats what farm tags are for in Oklahoma too but cops don't really enforce it.

One thing they do enforce is farm fuel in a vehicle not doing farm work.

johndeerefarmer":1wpvqr31 said:
That's not true for all farm trailers in Texas. In fact, there's probably not many of us that have trailers small enough to get by with that:

"An owner is not required to register a farm trailer or farm semitrailer that has a gross weight of 4,000 pounds or less."

Find the above reference and more info on Texas Farm Truck and Farm Trailer registration here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/lw/cmvlaw/ ... n/Farm.asp

Thanks for that info. Guess that I have just been lucky for the last 10 years or so. I have a 16' stock trailer and a 20' gooseneck and both have a gross weight way over 4000#

Either that or the law officers don't enforce the weight regulation.

johndeerefarmer":2sy7l085 said:
Thanks for that info. Guess that I have just been lucky for the last 10 years or so. I have a 16' stock trailer and a 20' gooseneck and both have a gross weight way over 4000#

Either that or the law officers don't enforce the weight regulation.

My dads 20' goose won't go over 4k but his old hayman had a 25' custom built goose that would go way over 4k!!!!!

if i'm pullin it then you can bet its strapped down, hay is too expensive to loose, and the liability it way to expensive, we live in times where there are too many ambulance chasing lawyers, that are willing to take ya to the cleaners. it dont take that long to strap down, and i feel much better when the 18 wheelers blow past me.. :D

Latest posts