second cross beefmasters or pure blood beefmasters

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
im going to 2 big beefmaster sales next weekend.1 is a consignmenent sale with 39 head.the other is a 220 head ranch sale out.the ranch has 20 second cross grade up beefmaster cows.as well as 115 reg cows.im going at after the reg cows.but my question is this why would you consider buying the second cross grade up cows.would love to hear your opions on them.or would you try to go for the 25 to 35 head of 5 to 7yr old cows or go for the 2 to 4yr old cows.

bigbull338":2tl52ago said:
im going to 2 big beefmaster sales next weekend.1 is a consignmenent sale with 39 head.the other is a 220 head ranch sale out.the ranch has 20 second cross grade up beefmaster cows.as well as 115 reg cows.im going at after the reg cows.but my question is this why would you consider buying the second cross grade up cows.would love to hear your opions on them.or would you try to go for the 25 to 35 head of 5 to 7yr old cows or go for the 2 to 4yr old cows.

Nothing wrong with the second cross cows. You will still get purebred calves. But, if the second cross cows are black they may be higher than the red purebreds.
Shelton Ranch has some good performing cattle .

Good luck at the sale ..

WORANCH":2bzmhml2 said:
bigbull338":2bzmhml2 said:

Nothing wrong with the second cross cows. You will still get purebred calves. But, if the second cross cows are black they may be higher than the red purebreds.
Shelton Ranch has some good performing cattle .

Good luck at the sale ..
yes they have great cattle as far as i can tell.all the cattle in the sale are shelton bred an raised.the shelton ranch herdsman used to manage the wolf creek ranch herd.he has been running the shelton ranch for 15yrs.ill come home with reg cows on that sunday.they dont have but 3 or 4 black cows in the herd.an they are the second cross cows.

bigbull338":dvz3g0qd said:
bigbull338-

A Producer's primary Herd plan will determine what kind and how many head of cattle he will acquire for the operation of his business. Insofar as the "..second cross grade up cows" are concerned, the phenotype and genotype of the total number of them is crucial, because you are establishing a BASIS of BREEDING if you purchase them. They are the 'CRUX' of your future seedstock producers. They are already 'set' with their Genetic Foundation as 'Cross-bred Composites' and as such, if you are directing your protocols in that direction, you have a head start on your future seedstock foundation. Of course, QUALITY of both PHENOTYPE AND GENOTYPE (EPD's) is required without further comment!

You mention that you are "going after the 115 Registered cows." ALL of them?? If that is the case, you are planning on spending a bunch of bucks, and perhaps your breeding protocols should be examined VERY closely for CONSISTENCY! I am not suggesting that you haven't thought about this move extensively, but there can be a multitude of errors in selecting that many animals at one time!

Concerning the 2-4 year old cows, or the 5-7 year old cows, that would depend on the FUNCTIONAL TRAITS of the individuals themselves. You would be putting your eggs in the "Experienced and calf-produced" basket as opposed to the "Inexperienced and unknown calving ability" basket.

You are embarking on a serious journey, and I would suggest you have some wise consultant(s) to give you some feedback while you are at the sale(s). Frankly, if I understand your intent, it is a very exciting endeavor! Please inform us if I am off base here!

Good luck to you.

DOC HARRIS

bigbull338":evfqz4hr said:

I can't speak for Beefmasters, but it's been our experience with Angus that we're better off buying the best genetics we can possibly afford. Breeding up to better quality takes years. Buying a few of the best available to you will shorten your time to producing quality, saleable cattle. I'd say buy the registered, even if you can't buy as many head. Good luck....

DOC HARRIS":plytfvfa said:
bigbull338":plytfvfa said:
bigbull338-

A Producer's primary Herd plan will determine what kind and how many head of cattle he will acquire for the operation of his business. Insofar as the "..second cross grade up cows" are concerned, the phenotype and genotype of the total number of them is crucial, because you are establishing a BASIS of BREEDING if you purchase them. They are the 'CRUX' of your future seedstock producers. They are already 'set' with their Genetic Foundation as 'Cross-bred Composites' and as such, if you are directing your protocols in that direction, you have a head start on your future seedstock foundation. Of course, QUALITY of both PHENOTYPE AND GENOTYPE (EPD's) is required without further comment!

You mention that you are "going after the 115 Registered cows." ALL of them?? If that is the case, you are planning on spending a bunch of bucks, and perhaps your breeding protocols should be examined VERY closely for CONSISTENCY! I am not suggesting that you haven't thought about this move extensively, but there can be a multitude of errors in selecting that many animals at one time!

Concerning the 2-4 year old cows, or the 5-7 year old cows, that would depend on the FUNCTIONAL TRAITS of the individuals themselves. You would be putting your eggs in the "Experienced and calf-produced" basket as opposed to the "Inexperienced and unknown calving ability" basket.

You are embarking on a serious journey, and I would suggest you have some wise consultant(s) to give you some feedback while you are at the sale(s). Frankly, if I understand your intent, it is a very exciting endeavor! Please inform us if I am off base here!

Good luck to you.

DOC HARRIS
ok let me start off by correcting something here.theres a total of 141 reg an grase up cows total.the break down is 115 reg cows 24 grade up cows an 2 open cows.theres no way i could afford 115 cows.im looking at getting 3 or 4 high quality reg cows.an they will be the building blocks of my reg herd.as for the cost of the cows.ill pay what i feel i can afford.an thats why im thinking 3 cows at the most.

The second crosses are important because if you breed back to a pure bull, you can register those offspring as pure bred. This is the infamous "upgrade" program that let the black hide in.

Where is this sale? I am looking to add 3 more momma cows to our herd by the end of next year. That will give us 10 total. I will then have 2 crossbred cows that I would like to replace at some time and have all 10 pure bred.

How much to you think they will go for? I might be able to get one now!! I would rather have the 2-4 year olds myself. They should be proven by this time. We have an older cow and we are starting to have problems with her bag. She will be taking a ride as soon as she calves this fall. I want one that is the lighter red, almost blonde color.

just get good cows. you can tell a good cow from a poor one without the papers.

Hey Bigbull I was at the shelton ranch the the other day and I saw some tremendous bred heifers that I think you should consider buying instead of cows simply because you may just get them a little bit cheaper and these are all bred to low birth weight bulls so calving ease should not be a problem.On the other hand I think I would buy cows that are 5-7 years old. Now this is just my thought but I think cows are generally going to wean and I guess you could say produce their best calves between the ages of 5 to probably 8 years old and you may be able to get them pretty cheap due to their age so I guess there are many ways to skin a cat but if you can I think I would go with the older 100% beefmaster cows.Also a friend of mine named Derek from temple just purchased a herd and he has about 8 cows he is selling all rangeing from ages 3 to 7 and all are priced at 1000 dollars and either are heavy bred to lasater 1625 or exposed to his brother lasater 2357 both I think are very good bulls and they come from the foundation herd and were higher ranking bulls in the lasater ranch sale.The cows are also sired by bulls like frenzel 1231-6 who is on the sire summary for being a trait leader in maternal traits and the other are sired by lasater 7205 and If I remeber right he was a bull known for producing great cows.Again and this is just my opinion you wont buy anything at shelton ranch for this price with this kind of quality trust me.If you are interested pm and I will give you all the info you need.

manaftergodsheart413":37r6lo0v said:
Hey Bigbull I was at the shelton ranch the the other day and I saw some tremendous bred heifers that I think you should consider buying instead of cows simply because you may just get them a little bit cheaper and these are all bred to low birth weight bulls so calving ease should not be a problem.On the other hand I think I would buy cows that are 5-7 years old. Now this is just my thought but I think cows are generally going to wean and I guess you could say produce their best calves between the ages of 5 to probably 8 years old and you may be able to get them pretty cheap due to their age so I guess there are many ways to skin a cat but if you can I think I would go with the older 100% beefmaster cows.Also a friend of mine named Derek from temple just purchased a herd and he has about 8 cows he is selling all rangeing from ages 3 to 7 and all are priced at 1000 dollars and either are heavy bred to lasater 1625 or exposed to his brother lasater 2357 both I think are very good bulls and they come from the foundation herd and were higher ranking bulls in the lasater ranch sale.The cows are also sired by bulls like frenzel 1231-6 who is on the sire summary for being a trait leader in maternal traits and the other are sired by lasater 7205 and If I remeber right he was a bull known for producing great cows.Again and this is just my opinion you wont buy anything at shelton ranch for this price with this kind of quality trust me.If you are interested pm and I will give you all the info you need.
thanks for the info.your prolly right the bred heifers will most likely go cheap.an most all of sheltons bulls are calving ease bulls.im not scared of buying older cows.i just want to start a good foundation herd of cows.an unless i miss my guess the young cows will go in the $2000 range or more.im not pushing myself in the corner on the price im willing to give for the cows.you was talking about frenzel bros herd.i talked to a guy 5 months ago that i think is in partners with them was looking at 6 cows he had for sale.an they was all 6yrs to 11yrs old.an he was wanting $960ea.an from what i could see they didnt fitt the program that im going to start.an i know frenzel bros have a good herd of cattle.

bigbull338":56mb7432 said:
manaftergodsheart413":56mb7432 said:
thanks for the info.your prolly right the bred heifers will most likely go cheap.an most all of sheltons bulls are calving ease bulls.im not scared of buying older cows.i just want to start a good foundation herd of cows.an unless i miss my guess the young cows will go in the $2000 range or more.im not pushing myself in the corner on the price im willing to give for the cows.you was talking about frenzel bros herd.i talked to a guy 5 months ago that i think is in partners with them was looking at 6 cows he had for sale.an they was all 6yrs to 11yrs old.an he was wanting $960ea.an from what i could see they didnt fitt the program that im going to start.an i know frenzel bros have a good herd of cattle.
bigbull338- In my opinion, this is GOOD advice. I would call manaftergodsheart and see what he has to offer you!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":14nrvis6 said:
bigbull338":14nrvis6 said:
manaftergodsheart413":14nrvis6 said:
bigbull338- In my opinion, this is GOOD advice. I would call manaftergodsheart and see what he has to offer you!

DOC HARRIS
the reason that i dont check with people that are a long ways from me is because i dont have a hauler that goes long distnces anymore.

Latest posts