Seaweed as a suppliment?

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully

Reaction score
I have been told seaweed can make a good suppliment for cattle with micronutrients and acts as a tonic. Wondering has anyone tried it and what did they find. Found somewhere i can buy some but kind of expensive. My feeling is it is more of a horsey thing. The pserson i was talking to feeds it to her cows but honestly they just looked like any other cow

I know you can get a protein supplement made from seaweed, can't remember the name. I have a bag around at the other shed, very old was using it in some compost.

Ken

wbvs58":3iz890i8 said:
I know you can get a protein supplement made from seaweed, can't remember the name. I have a bag around at the other shed, very old was using it in some compost.

Ken

We use seaweed products in the nursery, i have about 80 000 plants, but it bloody stinks, can't imagine a cow would want to eat it if it smells anything like that. Would be good for compost.

Redgully":3lh0gs45 said:
I have been told seaweed can make a good suppliment for cattle with micronutrients and acts as a tonic. Wondering has anyone tried it and what did they find. Found somewhere i can buy some but kind of expensive. My feeling is it is more of a horsey thing. The pserson i was talking to feeds it to her cows but honestly they just looked like any other cow
Red all I've ever seen was Kelp Meal and it came in a 50 lb. bag making it infeasible for use in most rations. A few show feets and such will include a little in the ration but at a rate of only 20-25 lbs. per ton. (Good "Tasco"). It contains some iodine but otherwise very little there for the high cost.

TexasBred":1b42w37t said:
Redgully":1b42w37t said:
Red all I've ever seen was Kelp Meal and it came in a 50 lb. bag making it infeasible for use in most rations. A few show feets and such will include a little in the ration but at a rate of only 20-25 lbs. per ton. (Good "Tasco"). It contains some iodine but otherwise very little there for the high cost.

That was what i was thinking, very expensive but i can't seem to find what the benefit would be. Was told it had iodone and selenium but that should be in a good mineral program anyway. Then there would be the risk of going the other way. Hoping someone had experience and what they found. Might have to do it myself and see what happens.

wbvs58":3u39rzhy said:

Ken
I know the name they use in our protein tub is Tasco,for our fescue is a seaweed extract..

My vet doesn't recommend using it. I wish I could remember the reasons why, but I know he discourages people from using it for any livestock species.

Luckiamute":1er6glcm said:
My vet doesn't recommend using it. I wish I could remember the reasons why, but I know he discourages people from using it for any livestock species.

That is interesting, would love to know why. I should ask my vet his thoughts. When you think about it if cows were meant to eat it they would have gills and flippers!

Redgully":2hxi86hm said:
Luckiamute":2hxi86hm said:

That is interesting, would love to know why. I should ask my vet his thoughts. When you think about it if cows were meant to eat it they would have gills and flippers!

Dugong don't have gills.

Ken

ALACOWMAN":t12gg7h2 said:
wbvs58":t12gg7h2 said:

Ken
I know the name they use in our protein tub is Tasco,for our fescue is a seaweed extract..
Same thing...cost $4 a hundred more to get "TASCO" put on the bag. :lol2: :nod: (True)

Cadmium, lead, arsenic, and mercury is what some Euro eco-group claimed was in seaweed that was being used as cattle feed supplement....

On the other hand, other Euro eco-groups lauded seaweed's use in animal feed because it caused less cow belchin and fartin and lower methane in general and therefore would reduce global warming...

greybeard":1bm8zng7 said:
Cadmium, lead, arsenic, and mercury is what some Euro eco-group claimed was in seaweed that was being used as cattle feed supplement....

On the other hand, other Euro eco-groups lauded seaweed's use in animal feed because it caused less cow belchin and fartin and lower methane in general and therefore would reduce global warming...

I had totally forgotten about that less gas from seaweed. I remember reading it a while back and having a good laugh. My wife reckons i should be chompin on some seaweed!

Also makes sense to have mercury in it. Long lived fish like tuna have quite high levels of mercury.

Latest posts