Searching for a tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

customcattle

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a question that has been asked before, but here goes. I am currently looking for a tractor (75-100hp) to use as an all around tractor. I will mainly be using it as a haying tractor putting up small bales with a hesston 4590, but will also be using it for a variety of other uses as it will be my only tractor. So like anything I have put together a must have list which is as follows:
75-100 horse
cab
ac/heater
possibly a front end loader.
under $17 k
My problem lies in the fact that in my area (Central Nebraska) there just isn't much selection for what I want/need in my price range. I'm curious if anybody can give me advice on what brands/models to stay away from,is it worth buying a late 70's early 80's model tractor at that price point, have you ever bought anything over the internet like off of tractorhouse and what was your experience?
thanks a bunch

I think it would be hard to find that size tractor with cab for that price range. If u do it will probably be a high hour tractor that going to need some tlc. If your not dead set on a cab then u probably will be ok. Iam a john deere man but also really like the older fords.

From that era, you should be able to get a IH 885? or something (~85 hp), they're a well built machine... We have a 684 (70hp) and it's done well for us, they have decent hydraulics for their time too that can handle a loader.

Here's a 684 with cab.. don't know if this one had AC/Heater though

I think to find all the options you're looking for you'll have to go up to $25K and look at something in the mid 90's unless you want something that's basically a wreck... Engines are the cheapest thing to fix if you can do a re-and-re yourself.. perhaps you could find something for $8K with a blown engine and be able to get it running within your budget

What would you consider high hours on a tractor? I have found some late 80- late 90's tractors with 3-4000 hours on them on tractorhouse basically in our price range. The problem I have is not being able to go look at the tractor. Has anybody bought one like that before?

You say possibly a loader. I wouldn't buy anything without a loader if you are looking at versatility. They are hard to find and expensive to put on later.

Ken

I bought one piece site unseen out of state had delivered. It was somewhat hard to find in the size I wanted. I did not have time to go look. I was told it was field ready it was 1500$ and a day in my shop later. I know people who do it all the time, it is not for me. This spring I drove all over the state looking at tractors, I bought at my local dealership I have someone to call and work with if it hits the fan. Jockeys don't care!

customcattle":wbbjpoqa said:
What would you consider high hours on a tractor? I have found some late 80- late 90's tractors with 3-4000 hours on them on tractorhouse basically in our price range. The problem I have is not being able to go look at the tractor. Has anybody bought one like that before?

3-4 k hours isn't a lot if it has been taken care of. But with a tractor that old there's going to be little things that's going to start needing replacing. If have the ability to repair them yourself then it's not that big of deal. I have a 6610 ford 1989 model, this past winter I had to replace power steering pump, radiator , water pump , fix several fuel leaks , replace valve cover gasket and a few other odd and ins. It has around 3 k hours on it. I did all the work myself but if I had taken it somewhere I would have hated to see the bill.

Considering the HP, specs, and price limit I'd probably be looking in no particular order at something like these:

Ford 8700/9700, TW5/TW10/TW15/TW25

White 2-85/2-105, 2-88/2-110

Case 2090/2290

IH 986/1086

JD 4030/4230/4040/4240

After owning a mfwd loader tractor, I wouldn't want to go back to a 2wd, but mfwd is likely beyond your stated budget.

wbvs58":2f3k3ty9 said:
You say possibly a loader. They are hard to find and expensive to put on later. Ken
2X

Hard to find good loaders for older tractors. Check on this before buying a tractor only.
I have bought a lot of tractors with 4K to 5K hours on them. Usually have some bad seals, and need some front end repair, by then.
You could buy a JI Case 1175 for a lot less than your budget, but it is a clumsy tractor for FEL work. A JI Case 830 could be a better fit if you can get along w/o a cab...

My dad is at an auction today, there's a IH 884 there, 7000 hours, runs and drives good, loader, no cab, not very pretty but not bashed up either, bad U joint in the front end, bald front tires, good rears.. we'll see what it goes for.. if we can pick it up for $7000 it's a good deal, and I'll be making a trip today.

While 4wd is nice, especially if moving round bales in muck, for most other things, a heavily built tractor gets pretty good traction even without 4x4... Put a rear bale spear on it for ballast and you'll go most places you ought to be going anyhow...

Thank you all for the replies. I was planning on going and looking at a ford 7700 today, but a snow storm changed all plans and we wound up trying to keep baby calves from freezing all day.

I have also found a 1994 agco allis 6690 with 4k hours on it 2wd with loader. Looking at pictures appears to be pretty clean. Does anybody have any experience with these tractors?

The era Agco Allis is an Italian tractor built by SAME. When its working good it is a nice tractor. When things go wrong good luck with parts and service. Most agco dealers don't have anybody that wants to think about working on them, and parts if available are very costly.

Agco never really made the parts for that model. That model tractor and its parts were built by SAME and rebrand/imported into the US as Agco Allis. Parts should be available from your local Agco dealer, but those parts are all imported from SAME out of Italy. So pricing and actual availability are anybody's guess.

Not all Agco Allis tractors were built by Same though. Some of their other models were built in the White factory after Agco bought out the White tractor company, some were built by Deutz, etc. There is a reason you see the models that were rebranded SAME models pretty cheap....

I will have to give our local Agco dealer a call and see if they can get parts for it. In the mean time I have found a Massey Ferguson 2705 with loader/grapple fork for 14k. I have read that these particular tractors have weak transmissions, but the transmission and ac have been updated. What are your thoughts on the MF 2705?

Latest posts