screwed by the butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

Poundsy

Reaction score
Took some freezer beefs in a couple weeks ago for some people and got a call this morning. The one in question was bought by a single person and cut typical,nothing fancy. The steer weighed 925 when I took him in. The people only got back 270 lbs. of meat. The other steers I took in weighed between 920- 1100 and all those people got between 480 lbs -650lbs back. He(the butcher) claimed it had that much fat on it. All were feed the same, all herefords, same bull, pretty much genetically the same. Is the butcher full of it?? Or can this happen.

I've heard some horror stories similar to this. I've taken the time to develop a relationship with my butcher, and he gets paid in cash very nicely. I also inspect every hanging carcass - every calf has a tag, and he attaches the tag to the hanging carcass so I will know which one was which. He gives me the weight on the hoof, hanging, and actual "meat" on every calf. I tell the butcher that I "need" the info to study & improve on my feeding, which I do, but it is a good way to double check him.

what was missing from the carcass, the good cuts or the hamburger? that's a hellava lot of fat to account for...

I got meat back once that wasn't mine. Someone else got mine or else it was sold. Never went back there.

Am I missing something here? A 925-1100 steer put 650 lbs of meat in the freezer, after it was cut up? What did they do with all the bone? I can understand a hanging weight of 650, but not after it was cut up! gs

plumber_greg":34eoc6ik said:
Am I missing something here? A 925-1100 steer put 650 lbs of meat in the freezer, after it was cut up? What did they do with all the bone? I can understand a hanging weight of 650, but not after it was cut up! gs
A boxed beef at 56% ain't possible unless they just wrapped both halves while on the rail. Somethins fishy.

Poundsy":13l3sry2 said:
Took some freezer beefs in a couple weeks ago for some people and got a call this morning. The one in question was bought by a single person and cut typical,nothing fancy. The steer weighed 925 when I took him in. The people only got back 270 lbs. of meat. The other steers I took in weighed between 920- 1100 and all those people got between 480 lbs -650lbs back. He(the butcher) claimed it had that much fat on it. All were feed the same, all herefords, same bull, pretty much genetically the same. Is the butcher full of it?? Or can this happen.

Customer "A" is telling you how much meat they have wrapped and in the freezer.
Customers "B" and "C" are giving you the hanging weight.

ChrisB":3rrcdnwe said:
Poundsy":3rrcdnwe said:

Customers "B" and "C" are giving you the hanging weight.

Bingo.....you win the prize......It all adds up to me....it doesn't appear that anyone was screwed.

Not sure about this deal specifically but butchers can be very shady. They mix meet, take out a little for them selves, sell some on the side... all kinds of stuff. I hate to tell people how I know. As some one already said, make it a point to check out the facilities and how things are done. It wouldn't hurt to show up and check things out at random.

ChrisB":lf86tio1 said:
Poundsy":lf86tio1 said:

Customers "B" and "C" are giving you the hanging weight.[/quote

Yep, unless you believe that you can get 650lbs of boxed beef from an 1100 lb live weight steer :roll: :roll: :roll:

It is very possible to only get 50% take home beef from hanging weight in an extremely fatty steer.

SirLoin":elnmk8no said:
ChrisB":elnmk8no said:
Poundsy":elnmk8no said:

Customers "B" and "C" are giving you the hanging weight.[/quote

Yep, unless you believe that you can get 650lbs of boxed beef from an 1100 lb live weight steer :roll: :roll: :roll:

It is very possible to only get 50% take home beef from hanging weight in an extremely fatty steer.
I have always told people that you will get about 37% of live weight in cut and wrapped meat give or take a % or 2

The customer bought the whole steer(925lbs). He only got 270 lbs of meat back from the WHOLE steer. The others that were havled got more back from a half a side of beef than the guy that bought a whole side of beef.

Poundsy":1adrdbc9 said:
The customer bought the whole steer(925lbs). He only got 270 lbs of meat back from the WHOLE steer. The others that were havled got more back from a half a side of beef than the guy that bought a whole side of beef.
then your other customers got a heck of a deal because the customer that got the 270lbs out of a 925 live weight is the one that got what he had coming because you will get roughly 37% of packaged beef out of a live weight animal and the smaller the live weight is the lower the % is because of the bone to meat ratio
your customer did NOT Get robbed

i ususally tell people bout 40% of live wt..if they have alot of fancy cuts or want alot of smalller cuts then the trim is higher and so the wrapped wieght is less.

no way to get 650 lbs of meat off a 1100 lb steer...

gary

The smiplist way to figure it is for rough numbers, multiply the live weight by 60% and the result by 50%.
That will get you pretty close in most cases to the packaged weight.

Latest posts