Scours???

Help Support CattleToday:

hillside

Reaction score
Going to try something new for scouring. 100cc of kao pectin per feeding (just for scouring calves) also, will be feeding electrolytes. Has anyone else ever tried this? Basically let them scour but coat with kao pectin. Hillside

I don't think KeoPec will cure the problem just sooth it. If they are scouring I would want to solve the problem quick as possible.

This is ollie's mix. I've used it and it works great.
ollie":qni22nxh said:
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup corn white corn syrup ( She says I usually want her to sub sugar so I can carry it as a powder and mix with water with out going back to the house when I find a scouring calf.)
10cc spectam

I usually mix with a quart of water. The recipe is an old friends and he says he uses a half gallon.
It works everytime for me. Sometimes if they get real weak I may treat them twice. It sure goes out the drench tube easier than all that glue junk.

hillside":3q6ute17 said:
Going to try something new for scouring. 100cc of kao pectin per feeding (just for scouring calves) also, will be feeding electrolytes. Has anyone else ever tried this? Basically let them scour but coat with kao pectin. Hillside

Sounds to me like a good way to end up with dead or very poor calves.

You'll be better off using the tried and tested methods than playing junior chemist.

If you let a calf keep scouring - it will get dehydrated. Doesn't take long for dehydration to kill. Always try to stop scours.

we will be using meds in milk. we use neomycin,terramycin,lincomycin,polymycin at differt intervals until weaned. So there is antibotics put in milk. this was important information i left out,sorry. I have "heard" that others are doing this and is working. Didn't know if any one out there has tried this . hillside

hillside":2hxwxszn said:
we will be using meds in milk. we use neomycin,terramycin,lincomycin,polymycin at differt intervals until weaned. So there is antibotics put in milk. this was important information i left out,sorry. I have "heard" that others are doing this and is working. Didn't know if any one out there has tried this . hillside

Are you saying you are using standard doses of antibiotics in these calves milk whether they are sick or not?

Before I put antibiotics in my calves milk, I would check the meds and see if they are compatible with milk - and make sure they need antibiotics. I'm almost positive terramyacin is not. I'm also fairly certain that terramycin will bind with the milk and cause teeth problems further down the line. I believe Vicky posted about that, I will see if I can find her post. Found it - the following was posted by Vicky a while back:

"Well, as information for both of you, terramycin is one of the tetracyclines, which bind irreversably to calcium, which I think you'll agree is found in milk. Thus it will work somewhat, but less than optimally. Also, it will deposit on forming teeth, causing enamellar hypoplasia, which can lead to broken mouth if the animal is kept."

I still say SMZ tablets work well for me. That is what is prescribed by my vet. I have also used a crushed ALBON bolus. One time trick and it worked well. I also give a Polyserum shot. Get them into a more sanitary enviroment if posible.

Scotty

I had a friend who built up an entire flock of sheep from bummer lambs and never used anything but Kao Pectate for the scours. Said it plugged them right up.

hillside":3e0g4gij said:

Terramycin is an antibiotic which binds to Calcium. Milk has calcium. Hmmmm....why bother using it in the milk? It has been proven NOT to work...

Believe me I am new at this cattle business. I helped a guy who raised dairy bulls up to a proper weight for selling as a herd.
We bottle fed them with milk replacer. They starting having the scours. We tried different meds., nothing worked. Then we tested the milk replacer temperture from the hot water we were adding. We found out that we were scalding the milk replace. The scours stopped. I don't know if this helped or My prayers.
little creek

hillside said:

hey i had a problem with scouring calves and have just started using pepto and I m vary pleased with the results. 60cc 2xday

Latest posts