Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a hfr calf down with scours.She's depressed,laying down, when you pinch her neck it tents and takes 7 secs to flatten out.I found her this morning, i've given her 3 feeds,the 1st 2 an egg and 7 teaspoons of sugar plus about 1 cup of water.The 3rd was a mixture of 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda(baking soda), 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons golden syrup and about 1 cup water. I was wondering if this is a correct mixture (im gradually increasing the amount) and if not does anyone have any tips, recepies, remedies that they could tellme please.

First, she needs a LOT more fluids - try a half gallon to a gallon of water per "feeding". And if possible, saline solution/lactated ringers or something similar SubQ or IV. She's severely dehydrated. Second, she needs antibiotics. What do you have on hand?

Another good idea would be a phone call to your vet.

Well i searched the net after giving her a shot of penicillian (spelling) it always works wonders, but she was a very bad case, so i wanted to give her something more. So i searched the net and found-
Bi-carb Soda (Baking Soda)
Salt
Golden Syrup or Maple syrup
Water.
I gave her one dose of this last night, then another this morning.then this arvo when we went up there she stood up!HUGE improvement, yesterday when i gave her the first dose of this...uh...concuction...lol...she could barely lift her head.So anyone whos never heard of this, it worked for me.
I pinched her skin and its taking half the time to flatten out. :D
I also milked the cow and gave her that, since shes not yet strong enough to stand and drink herself. So she's on the rise of improvement, but shes still got a long way to go.

What you are doing is great. You might also try giving the calf some Probis. This a starter to get her belly working again. Buy at most feed stores. It will really help. Okcow girl

Latest posts